Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Mega Avalanche 2012
  • SBrock
    Free Member

Me and a mate lookin at this for next year, is it best to go on a package?

Been looking at Summit there package looks good value, what has everyone else done? driven? Flown? package?

cheers

snaps
    Free Member

This year we drove over, took about nine hours with four short stops for fuel etc. Cost was £79 for the ferry, €58 tolls each way & just over two tanks of fuel (modern diesel estate cars)
    We rented between eight of us for 10 days & it worked out just under €1170 including bed linen for a nice 4 twin roomed chalet with a good mountain view.
    Lift pass was €103.50 for the 10 days & this included the coach to return from the lowest point (no cable car)
    We just bought loads of pasta for evening meals but did eat out most lunch times & a couple of evenings.
    Food was a little more expensive than here for eating out – €4 for a cheese & ham Baguette but we found a place that did steak sandwhich & chips for €5, restaurants were generally charging €12 for basic meal, but drinks were very expensive – €5.40 to €6.50 for a beer!
    Bike spares were similar prices to the UK, €4.59 for a DH innertube & when one of our group lost a jockey wheel he thought he was going to get ripped off for a new rear mech but after visiting the dubiously named Richard the third sports, the owner gave him a jockey wheel & bolt for nothing!
    Package might make more sense if going in smaller group, I think the ten days cost me about £530 including insurance etc.

atlaz
    Free Member

My mates always drive from the UK. Bikes and cars serviced, spares for bikes, book chalet, off they go. I’ll probably join in but will drive down from Luxembourg which is a lot closer.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

That AValanche deals looks quite good value to be fair!

SBrock
    Free Member

will a SC Butcher with Van 36s be ok, may be tempted to put a coil shock on and have dual ply tyres

snaps
    Free Member

Yes, I took a Cove G spot with Lyriks & coil shock, I didn’t bother with dual ply tyres, just a super tacky Hi Roller & soft Michelin combo & didn’t get any problems or punctures.
    Hope V2 non vented on the front gave zero issues, Mono Ti6 on the rear made the disc turn a nice dark brown colour but still worked fine, new pads fitted & bedded in for a few rides before going & plenty left on the pads still.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

We drove and hired a place between 3 of us, 2 others shared another place in the same block & there was another couple of groups in the same block with us (privately owned block with about 10 apartments in of varying sizes).

All in it worked out about £400 for a week, plus entry. We did pick a nice big apartment though to have some extra space.

The bike will be fine, regarding the tyres in a group of 5 people riding together all week 3 with dual ply tyres & skinny XC tubes, no punctures at all.

2 with single ply tyres, a combined 7 punctures by mid afternoon on the first day. 4 single ply tyres taken off, and replaced with dual ply, no more punctures…

All ride and race DH to a decent level, so maybe a little harder than your average rider, my air rear shock on my 5 was so hot by the time I got to the bottom of the qualifier (when we banged out a couple of full runs) it actually branded my leg and blistered where it burnt me!

We are going next year (want a top 50 for the main race!) and i’ll be running a coil this time round. My RP23 is a bit worse for wear since.

SBrock
    Free Member

ok peeps thanks for the heads up!

blueandwhiteblade
    Free Member

If anyone needs a lift to the 2012 Mega, please get in touch. I’ve got one or possibly two spaces in my car, travelling from Nottingham on Sat 14th or Sun 15th July and will return on Monday 28th to be back in time for work on Tuesday.

It’s supposed to be me and a mate going but his new job means he’s not certain if he can go. I’ve got plenty of room for 3 of us so can definitely take one more, possibly two if my mate can’t make it. I’ve worked out that all travelling costs will be £500 (tunnel, fuel, tolls) which we’ll just split evenly. I’m staying at the campsite in the valley (Allemont).

It’s gonna be a good trip!! Please get in touch if you’re interested on 07725072359.

Cheers.

Stuart

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Groups are good for your first year as it helps to have someone who knows the ropes for lifts and timings etc.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and remember to take the following monday off or you will have the drive back from hell!

Taz

Agree 100% for the need for Dual Ply tyres

If you are planning on getting anywhere near race speed you will pinch flat on single ply’s almost definitely (4 punctures on first run on my first time out – dual ply bought at bottom. No more punctures rest of week)

Think air shock is ok but coil would be better.

Dropper post definitely would help

8 of us going and staying in the Altiport this year 🙂

Madfly
    Free Member

Anybody know if you need to book the campsite in Allemont? If so does anyone have any contact details?

Thanks!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Mega Avalanche 2012’ is closed to new replies.