Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Medium-core hardtail ideas?
  • stevious

Evening all.

My poor old rockhopper is reaching a point where everything’s dying at once, so instead of replacing individual bits I might just replace the whole thing.

I’m after something dependable for evening rides in the cairngorms, a few trail centre bits and bobs and the occasional wilderness ride. Also will be used for wintry night-rides.

Don’t want another specialized (just for variety’s sake) and cannae be arsed building my own bike (plus, better value to buy whole thing?) so am looking for some inspiration of where to look.

Priorities are:

– A bit lighter than the ‘hopper
    – Perhaps a tad more travel (am on 110mm at the mo) form the forks
    – About 1.2 to 1.3 kilopounds sterling

Current ideas:

– carbon 456 (although only seem to come with 150mm forks atm. Might be a chore uphill)
    – ragley piglet (might be a bit heavy?)

Any other ideas? Not worried about nicheness or looks, just something FUN to ride.

RealMan
    Free Member

I went from a rockhopper to this

110mm-140mm travel. Cost way over your budget and is slightly heavier then the rockhopper (I think), although I did have quite a light build on the rockhopper. I’d lower your expectations on weight a bit.

stevious

You do seem to have sourced a bike with some very expensive bits on it though. I shan’t be getting things like thompson bits for example.

And I’m not after something super-light, just no heavier then the ‘hopper is.

wwaswas

Carbon 456 is fine with 130 & 140mm forks in my experience

Have a look at the new Kinesis uk site – lots of lightweight loveliness.

Roulercoaster
    Free Member

Boardman Pro HT – picked one up last week after selling on my Fuel EX8 and its fantastic. BB30, 120mm fork,2*10 X9, 25 lbs and under a grand

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtb/ht_pro.html

paulo6624
    Free Member

The rockhopper frame is very good and very light for an entry-level MTb and also a good frame all around- I rode a fair few hardtails at various price points including boardmans, and a pace 305, I now ride an on one 456 summer season with 140 pikes and it outshines anything I’ve ridden before it is harder work on the climbs as the frame I pretty heavy but on fast singletrack and anything technical and pointing down it flies- testament to how good the rockhopper frame Is, when I finally parted with mine it had full xtr fox forks hope wheels juicy 7’s etc the frame wAs the last thing to go

andyl
    Free Member

C456 with U-turn forks? I run mine at 100 for general XC and lots of climbs. 130mm the rest of the time (and increasingly so as I tend to jump off anything I spot). I would love a 150mm fork on there but need to raise some funds for a new set of wheels to go with the fork.

How about a Cotic Soul? Or does Cove make anything suitable? Merlin do Cove builds I think.

rob2
    Free Member

+1 for boardman

Insane (I say insane) value for money and lovely frames.

You’d get change too 🙂

danti

+ 1 Cotic Soul 😀

teadrinker
    Free Member

I like the piglet, awesome all round bike. Here’s mine

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-bike-42

Saying that though I might get rid of it as I really miss the road bike. If your interested let me know. I could part company for a good price.

stevious

Okay, some good suggestions so far, but:

– Cotic is out because I can’t buy a bike off-the-peg (if I’m going to go down the building route I might as well just keep the ‘hopper frame).

– Looked at the Boardman, but the MRs has one and we might look a bit special out on our his & hers bikes. Wouldn;t be a problem if we didn’t already have matching road bikes.

maxray
    Free Member

I’ve got a maxlight xc 120. Potential to build quite a light bike as a medium frame is only about 1500gs. I stuck some 130 coil revs on mine which suited quite well.

stevious

I AM NOT GOING TO BUY A FRAME ON ITS OWN

thanks

samuri
    Free Member

Fun you say?

Chameleon. The funnest bike known to man.

Random
    Free Member

Something from the Genesis ranges should suit you – either Core or Latitude. Several price points in each range.

maxray
    Free Member

Fookin hell! You don’t have to build it yourself, your lbs could do that for you.

matttromans
    Free Member

+1 for the Genesis range.

I bought a Latitude 10 not long ago and haven’t looked back. Its within your budget and leaves some cash for immediate upgrades. Love the way it rides, it seems to encourage you to hit the gnar harder!

nick1962
    Free Member

Saw one of these http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/fury-10-35495/ out on the trails today and I was surprised how good it looked.Never ridden it so can’t comment on how it rides.
    Not one for the STW nicheinistas though 😉

epicsteve
    Free Member

While I’d normally recommend a Soul those Boardman hardtails really can’t be ignored.

winterfold
    Free Member

My Whyte 905 fits bill and I paid 1149 last year – think they have gone up a bit since

901 is pretty much the same

Light and a bit more slackness than Boardmans (which are amazing value)

beanieripper
    Free Member

lol..realman must love that chammer, ive never seen anyone post a pic of their bike so much..

scottidog
    Free Member

Definitely have a look at the Marin Rocky Ridge is amazing. Nice slack 67 deg head angle, excellent spec for the money compared to orange etc.

Had mine for 18 happy months now and have ridden it all over

Baldysquirt

Merlin Malt or Rock Lobster?

Hobster
    Free Member

Cove Handjob build from Merlin would come in at £1200 with the VIP discount

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Medium-core hardtail ideas?’ is closed to new replies.