Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Mechanics – H2O flooded engine. Next step.
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Many cars tho (Peugeot?) have intakes right low down for some daft reason – maybe to make the the intake as warm as poss.

molgrips
    Free Member

Many cars tho (Peugeot?) have intakes right low down for some daft reason – maybe to make the the intake as warm as poss.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

If the intake was designed properly it wouldn't be as much of a problem, most cars have their intake as high in the bonnet area as possible, with U bends included, to avoid ingestion of water, plus drain holes in a suitably sized filter box.

Well considering its a 15 year old engine in a 37 year old camper the intake is pretty well designed to be honest. I dont have an area ' high in the bonnet' what with that being above the top engine deck and then it would be pulling air from inside the cab. Its in the only location it realisitically can be! There isnt a filter box its a cone shape filter induction kit effort!

fergusd

Why would you want intake air as warm as poss . . . ?

Anyway . . . don't leave it too long before removing the plugs and spinning it over . . . the piston rings can very quickly corrode in the bores and 'can' get damaged when you subsequently move the pistons . . . have seen this happen a couple of times to engines that have had coolant leaks into the pistons . . .

Sadly you only need a couple of tablespoons full of water to hydraulic a typical cylinder . . . thankfully it's usually quite difficult to get enough through a properly designed airbox . . . assuming you have one . . .

fergusd

Ah . . . you don't . . . ah well . . .

coffeeking
    Free Member

None of the peugeots I've had have had one sucked in down low. The 306 takes its air from the top, goes down to the bottom, then back up to the top through the filter housing and across to the tubby intake. The old 205 went from the top of the bonnet, into the side of the filter box and out the top of it, across to the throttle body. I think you meant cold as poss?

o_h_h – it would have been less susceptible if you'd not gone with a silly induction kit, or rather built it a cold air box with drainage holes for the silly induction kit to sit in, this would act as a U-bend and let any water fall to the bottom as it hit the filter face and drain out. Still, hindsight is wonderful.

MikeG

Wheres the ecu fitted? A few years ago I ran a motor factors and spent a few hours trying to source a replacement ecu for someone with a scooby powered T3, he'd been through a big puddle as well and thought he'd hydrauliced the engine – turned out the ecu's aren't sealed at all and it completely fried when drenched.
    Even if it is knackered you should be able to pick up a complete donor car for a few hundred quid, only takes a couple of hours to drop and replace the engine in a bay, then sell whats left of the donor as spares on ebay, assuming you've got a bit of space and some mechanical ability

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

If the intake was designed properly it wouldn't be as much of a problem, most cars have their intake as high in the bonnet area as possible

Apart from all the ones that have it as low as possible to collect the coolest, most dense air. Most non-shopping-trolleys actually have pretty low air intakes.

Edit: And condolences to the OP if it doesn't turn out ok. My aging landy has its MOT next week so I'll no doubt be joining you in broken-car miseryville…

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

The Engine rebuild and the air intake were built by race mechanics so sadly performance is over practicallity – sucking huge amounts of water in is not something that ever occur to me 🙁

Intake looks like this – sry for crap phone pic –

Just taken the plugs out and they've all come out wet :'(

Space is the prob – 45degree drive or where it is now half on pavement half off 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

I think you meant cold as poss?

Probably. I dunno – I just remember someone complaining about their car sucking up tons of water because the intake was really low.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Apart from all the ones that have it as low as possible to collect the coolest, most dense air. Most non-shopping-trolleys actually have pretty low air intakes.

No they don't. Or at least none of the ones I've worked on have. Almost all decent cars suck air from either in front of the rads or under the wing. No modern non-shopping-trolley car sucks air from the engine bay full stop, that would be stupid, or an aftermarket part that's not correctly designed.

alfabus
    Free Member

that intake doesn't look all that low down, it looks to be level with the bottom of the engine lid, which is a good half metre up… much higher than most cars have them.

You also have a large vertical section for it to suck water up, no mean feat, even if you were gunning it.

If it is knackered, I don't think you should beat yourself up about the design of the induction kit.

If the plugs are wet, that is a bad sign… fingers crossed for you!

Dave (former '73 bay owner, had an alfa quad-cam boxer ready to fit – hence my username, but never got around to it!)

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Cheers I thought the induction was pretty well done personally 🙂

On the bright side if I can claim on the insurance I might build myself a better lump and sort the wiring out properly this time!

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Mechanics – H2O flooded engine. Next step.’ is closed to new replies.