Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Mechanic gloves?
  • trailmax
    Free Member

Are any of yours using special gloves for bike maintenance?

On demo day in Glentress I spoke to a mechanic who was using special gloves – he said they are ace, if you are doing a lot of maintenance. But I can’t remember what brand he used. Was something with cotton base and plasticky cover.

I had enough of metal splinters in my hands and having 2-3 days of “dirty” skin on fingers after a good bash on oily bits on the bike, so I’m looking for a good set of gloves that will be thin enough for bike maintenance and will not rip.

Any suggestions?

trailmax
    Free Member
    Three_Fish
    Free Member

The gloves I use sound very similar, I just can’t remember what they’re called. They’re tight fitting and made of a thin woven cloth coated in a plastic/foam layer. Very grippy and yet snug enough for fiddling around with even small parts like master cylinder cap screws. They’re not fluid-proof, so I still use nitrile gloves if there’s brake fluid or fork oil in the job, but for general fettling they are perfect. My current pair are ready for replacing after maybe three months, and at about three quid/pair they’re excellent value. They can be found at many autoparts stores; I’ll get the name/brand of mine when I go in the garage in the morning.

EDIT they’re essentially the same as the Hyflex gloves mentioned in the other thread

trailmax
    Free Member

Yeah.. from that thread I gathered I need to check out near tool shop for gloves. Probably they have Hyflex -)

andyl
    Free Member

aldi normally sell something like that. But I think it is a lycra palm. So much better than normal lab gloves.

trailmax
    Free Member

Went into local tool shop and found gloves just as I wanted (cotton base and PVC cover) for £1.80 a pair. Will try them tomorrow -)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Mechanic gloves?’ is closed to new replies.