Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 151 total)
  • MDMA – to treat depression?
  • soobalias
    Free Member

In advance of tonights C4 program “Drugs Live”

I think its an avenue that would benefit from formal exploration. But real life experience shows that it quite clearly contributes to depression through its abuse. Does this kind of experimentation actually just wave a green flag to youngsters who take the headline as gospel and experiment/abuse with low quality and random dosages, supporting the black market and funding terrorism?

Linky for those so inclined

logical
    Free Member

Isn’t MDMA something to do with cage fighting?

binners

MDMA in being used for what it was originally intended shocka!!!

If anyone believes that anyone is waiting for a green light to start necking pills, or not, then they’re delusional

BoardinBob

In Switzerland it’s prescribed for marriage counselling sessions

dabble
    Free Member

there is no way to have a rational discussion on illegl drugs because you will always get some berk going “but its illeeeeeeegal!!!!!!” and then this clouds their view cos its gotta be illegal for a reason right? it cant be that the gov’t sh@t their selves about every little thing? there are worse things in the world than illegal drugs, take alcohol for example. johnny vaughn had a good example (hes a cock knocker of the highest order in every other respect) who would you rather meet down a dark alley a stoned lad who can hardly keep his eyes open or some pissed toilet wi a chip up his arse?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Only someone on drugs would compare illegal drugs to alcohol.

What percentage of the population that take alcohol have problems with it?

What percentage of the population that take illegal drugs have a problem with them?

trailmonkey

What percentage of the population that take illegal drugs have a problem with them?

tell us

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Yes, tell us

ianv
    Free Member

I always thought that MDMA could actually cause depression as it can lead to a reduced serotonin (sp) level (one of the causes of depression).

sweepy
    Free Member

Loads of people take drugs with no problems, it’s not called recreational drug use for nothing.

What are those percentages, do you know?

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

trailmonkey – Member

tell us

yes, I’m interested too. Trailmonkey?

neil853
    Free Member

Classic response ha ha

PiknMix
    Free Member

Pure MDMA in small doses can be an aid, too much and the comedowns are too noticeable and completly counterintuitive.

Obviously most people can’t get pure md so have to use regular street pills which have everything bar MDMA in them.

organdonor
    Free Member

Yes, percentages for me too please Tucker.

neil853
    Free Member

Loads of people take drugs with no problems, it’s not called recreational drug use for nothing.

^this

scuzz
    Free Member

Time to wheel out this ol’ thing

neil853
    Free Member

interesting that graph on so many levels……

noteeth
    Free Member

I’ve never taken MDMA. I spent my raving years entirely straight – lost, as they say, in music. The prospect of watching Keith Allen grinning away on a hospital trolley is unlikely to change the situation.

I suspect there’s serious mileage in clinical use for PTSD, etc – but the endless wibble about warmth and empathy does sometimes leave me cold. Something in me instinctively rebels against the idea that heightened emotion should depend upon artificial ingredients – all IMO, of course. I’m not going to argue with people who feel that their lives have been changed for the better.

IHN

From the graph, what’s the definition of a narcotic? A pain killer?

rewski
    Free Member

I always thought that MDMA could actually cause depression as it can lead to a reduced serotonin (sp) level (one of the causes of depression).

My understanding too, but I’ve had similar side effects from alcohol too. E and loud house music is quite a special mix though, apparently.

bikebouy
    Free Member

This is going to be a most excellent programme, I have set out the evening to watch it, I’m even putting down my bike.

Y’see I have a long standing “argument/debate/call it what you will” with a close mate of mine on this very subject, that of MDMA and it’s use/abuse taken for medical/recreational purposes.

Whilst I bounced through the rave era clean and healthy, some mates bounced to the rhythm with blured vision, headaches and a thirst the size of the Atlantic.

Looking forward to this even if it means watching Keith Allen gurn.

organdonor
    Free Member

noteeth
    Something in me instinctively rebels against the idea that heightened emotion should depend upon artificial ingredients

Do you disagree with the use of anti-depressants?

MDMA causes increased serotonin and dopamine release which raises mood. The knock-on effect of this is that subsequently the brain experiences a shortfall in serotonin and dopamine levels in the brain (it’s all been released)
    I guess the medical application (for PTSD and depression) would look to lessen the shortfall (and the perceived high) through dosage.

noteeth
    Free Member

Do you disagree with the use of anti-depressants?

Nope – not when *needed.

dabble
    Free Member

Good point well made, shows how a discussion about illegal drugs all boils down to “thats a druggies argument, druggies are bad, teacher told me so, so la la la la im not listening.”

EDIT: we need to look at illegal drugs on a scale of harm, weed is not the same as heroin, barbituates and E’s are completely different to each other. Its like comparing rocket fuel and red diesel, they are both fuel but the differences far outweigh the similarities.

deviant
    Free Member

MDMA for depression ‘could’ work but I think this programme will glamourise the drug and have the presenters gurning on club/rave doses….it works on serotonin by flooding the brain with the chemical, trouble is in recreational doses it leaves the serotonin receptors fried leading to depression.
    In smaller therapeutic doses it may have a legitimate use in mental health, there are already widely used Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) used as antidepressants.
    This will be shock TV sadly, anything with that nobber Keith Allen usually is….shame as it does help people open up and talk about things they might otherwise bottle up, as someone else said it’s use in PTSD could be useful.

enfht
    Free Member

I spent my raving years entirely straight

Er… 😳

noteeth
    Free Member

Er…

Give or take the odd beer – so, no, not properly ‘avin it.

enfht
    Free Member

Wasted youth 😉

SiB
    Free Member

Spent most weekends lost in the world of MDMA back in late 80s and 90s, house music and E were a tremendous combination…….not sure I could handle the comedown now I’ve just turned 40 though!

Never felt quite right til about thursdays though after a weekend of necking pills…….and then it was time to do it all again, get the serotonin flowing.

No regrets, still tingle thinking about those days and listening to the music still.

Not sure I want to watch it tonight as I’l just be wanting to go out and get luved up all weekend!!

Can you still get E’s these days?

noteeth
    Free Member

Wasted youth

I remember all of it, so I guess so. 😀

nacho
    Free Member

Did bit of raving during my time (mid 40’s and kids now so not for a while) and E’s affected different people differently, even amongst a group of us taking the same ones and simolar quantities. Some danced all night, some chased women, some talked, some dribbled. Some had terrible comedowns, some of us enjoyed it 😉
    One or two I know had some mental health issues later, whether that was from the drugs or not I don’t know. To be fair we didn’t always know the ingredients of what we took and for sure they weren’t always MDMA. I think diffrent strokes for diffrent folks is apt, same as some people laugh then fall asleep taking alcohol whilst others want to fight. We could have safe clubs with controlled sales, medical advice, tested and measured doses of drugs etc. I don’t know for sure but I have read most deaths attributed to E are caused by either other drugs, drug cocktails or allergic reactions .
    FWIW IMHO no way should MDMA be illegal, I can say some of my best nights out, parties etc have been on E. Go to a dance club or rave and you don’t see fights unless it’s dealers (or pissheads) and cut them out by legalising it. Whereas go to a “drinking” club and it’s almost always violent. On the flipside I’m not sure if my views will change when my kids are old enough to show interest.

hmanchester
    Free Member

I’m going to watch the programme first then comment on it’s contents. Call me old fashioned.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

house music and E were a tremendous combination

house music was tremendous and there was no need to take drugs to be taken by it and dance for hours – always seemed a bit sad to me…

enfht
    Free Member

The music was MADE for ecstasy, unless we’re talking acid house which would be a different thread..

TG do you think the “vibe” would have been the same if everyone was sober?

DezB
    Free Member

house music was tremendous and there was no need to take drugs to be taken by it and dance for hours – always seemed a bit sad to me…

Really? Have you ever experienced the combination?

wallop

Professor Nutt (the world’s greatest Bristolian) was on the tellybox yesterday talking about the impending trial. He bigged it up and called it an serious, in-depth study so I am going to be looking past the fact that it’s televised – it’s not just an opportunity for Keith Allen to be on screen, you know.

YorkshireRipper
    Free Member

I had LSD induced paranoia after someone put a knife to my throat when I was on it at the age of 16. This paranoia and depression lasted 2 years. At 18 I did my first pill, this brought me out of my 2 year hole and things have been ok ever since.

No they haven’t, yes they have, dunno. Yes, maybe. What did you say about me?

Really though, if respected, it did me some good.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Edit – not the right time or place.

M6TTF
    Free Member

“For those of you participating at home, now is the time to drop…”

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

The effects of MDMA on MS sufferers is amazing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘MDMA – to treat depression?’ is closed to new replies.