Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 378 total)
  • mcmoontertrackworld……. Vices
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

went shopping last night.

Been looking for old record vice’ for a while – in the north east they are as rare as sun.

gumtree came up trumps yesterday – phoned the chap , drove to fyvie – real bandit country up there , glad i dont drive a posh car.

came home with

number 3 and number 4 records- looking at the jaws hardly used.

tempted to strip em grease em and paint em , found instructions via the landy forums on how to strip. They have a little hesitation when winding them out- i put this down to lack of use over the years as they are old made in sheffield ones (says made in england in the photo , on the other side it says made in sheffield on the slider)

Perfect opportunity to recycle some quarter inch plate from work and build a new bench at a working height – current bench is just slightly low.

much better than the rotating piece of crap i inherited when i moved in , wont stay still – well , it did after i welded it in place 😀

bencooper
    Free Member

Good stuff 😉

I’ve just acquired a 4″ Swindens for the grand total of £45 – striped it down and it’s now off to the powdercoaters for a repaint (someone had covered it in green gloss Dulux), but it’s a beauty…

LoCo
    Free Member

😀 open them up half a turn have seen one shear when fully shut and it got really cold in a workshop 😯

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

i paid 100 quid for the pair of them.

probably a touch over priced but as i said , jaws look hardly used compared to some of the battered vices ive turned down.

and NEW no where near as good irwin record chinese vices no 3 and no4 are 120 quid plus each

will do loco but thats how i got em and im sure my workshop is warmer than their previous home.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Trail Rat, No 4s are great vices, it should be easy enough to strip, clean and regrease. As you say there is no comparison between the Made in England quality and the imported ones.

I graduated to a 75 which I picked up when the Stromness Academy was relocating and the metalwork teacher and fellow Vintage Club member was selling them off. I still can’t believe that someone specced such awesome vices for a school without someone raising an eyebrow as to their cost.

Since then I’ve found a few more 😳

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve been looking on gumtree for a while to no avail, I’ll keep trying. Then I’ll need to build a muckle workbench!.

dashed
    Free Member

Muckle. Now there’s a word that is much under used! 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tbh i think the number 3 will be mounted first/ used for most

The number 4 is too big for my bench just now but was greedy and took both since ey are rare up here.

He had another number 4 but twas very tatty and heavy used compared to these 2

footflaps

I have to say I’m very pleased with my Stanley Vice. The rotating base thing is really handy, used that quite a lot with cutting / tapping these steel tubes:

Cutting threads by brf, on Flickr

trail_rat
    Free Member

Got any smaller mounting bolts you could use ? 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

They’re not bolts. They’re the shitty screws that were bolloxing up his nice screwdriver bits. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

You have screwed your vice to the table ? With screws ????

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Footflaps, top tip, use cutting fluid when threading, tapping or drilling. It preserves the life of your dies taps and drills keeping them cool.

footflaps

I knew I’d get comments on those, but to be honest they’re perfectly adequate and I doubt I’ll ever get round to buying some bolts to replace them.

Yep, cutting oil is on the list. I wasn’t too bothered about the die kit for the electrical tubing as I only had to cut a few threads and I’m done. It will now collect dust on a shelf for the next 20 odd years…..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I reckon they’re screws. I even suspect they may well be Goldscrews in cup washers. 😀

footflaps

They are 6×120 Goldscrews with Homebase washers.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You will when they rip out

They will rip out one day. I broke a fixed jaw casting on a modern irwin record removing a stuck freewheel. Good job it was through bolted.

piemonster

Screws…..Vice……to the Workbench

w………t………f……….

footflaps, you’ve made me sad

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Honestly FF, you really need bolts on that vice. If only for the look… 😐

Stoner
    Free Member

mine looks quite lonely there. But loads of room to swing on stuff though 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ipad doesnt room in enough stoner.whats is it ?

Stoner
    Free Member

cheap and nasty lump of cast iron.
    but it grips like a vinegar stroker and it’s got an anvil plate on the back for tapping stuff gently

trail_rat
    Free Member

Bemch made of slate boxes is it ?

Stoner
    Free Member

aye.
    limestone slabs.

andrewh
    Free Member

Bloody nora, I’ve got one of them vices in my garage. Never realised what it was 😳 Just ‘the vice’ to me…

gordimhor

Ah well….. Not the kind of vices I was hoping for
    😀

matthewjb
    Free Member

When we moved into our house the previous owner had left a rusty vice in the garage.

Not wanting to waste anything I fixed it to my bench and started using it.

Last week, inspired by something I had read on GarageTrackWorld, I decided to tart it up.

Using a wire brush to remove the worst of the emulsion paint I realise it is a Record 0. Now I need to find some replacement jaws and proper blue paint. Any pointers?

DSCN2370 – Version 2 by Matthewjb, on Flickr[/img]

Note it is held to the bench with proper bolts.

footflaps

Note it is held to the bench with proper bolts.

Hangs head in shame…..

shifter
    Free Member

At least your’s is screwed down! 😳

njee20
    Free Member

Serious (numpty) question: why would you need multiple different sized vices?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Serious (numpty) question: why would you need multiple different sized vices?

Looking specifically at me? I had a big workshop that had space for a number of benches that I intended to use them on, is the sensible answer. This being mcmoontertrackviceworld, a bit like the STW bike number formula n+1, you can never have too many nor have to justify them.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

“Need”?

Who ever said anything about “need”?

maccruiskeen

Then I’ll need to build a muckle workbench!.

Just get a lot of mickle ones.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Any one know if silverline ever made a reasonable bench drill press ?

Been offered a working one circa 10 years old – 5 speed , belt drive different colour to the new tat they make. Fella wants space

Currently i use a press stand for my corded drill. It cant be much worse.

Nick im planing to have 2 working benches in my garage – multiple projects you see

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Trail rat, I’ve got a good Meddings one that would be much better quality I could sell.

I’m not certain if it has a three phase motor though.

It’s something like this. It needs a chuck and No.2 Morse taper. If you are interested I will try ad dig it out and take some pics.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mmmmmm interested , model number ? Ballpark figure ? Definantly be preferable to any silverline – my understanding after a quick google was they were always light weight rebranded chinese equipment, likes to vibrate about the bench and nothing tightens up . Probably why the fella just wants the space. More worrying was the photo of the old one is the same as a new one with terrible reviews bar the colour – blue instead of green.

Deffo needs to be single phase 240 though , cant run a single to 3 phase converter out here ill be crucified by her indoors ….100amp fuse on the main circuit but spoke to the hydro boy last time he was here and said 60 amps is about the best we get on our street- with no plans to upgrade any time soon.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I will have a look at it later and get back to you.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cheers min , email in profile, no major rush as ill be heading to nigeria end of the week i think

footflaps

I’m obviously a vice ignoramous, what is so good about Record vices?

trail_rat
    Free Member

They last

Broke 3 modern- clarke and irwin records vices in the bike shop with stuck stuff

Replaced it with a number 4 we rescued from the tip and it lasted the rest of my time there without a hint of trouble.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 378 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.