Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • McCanns: is this not ill-advised
  • toys19
    Free Member

Torminalis , are you stupid? Of course sometimes there’s nothing you can do to avoid a tragedy, and if that happens its no doubt heartbreaking. AS I’m sure the McCanns were heartbroken. BUT, THEY LEFT THEIR CHILDREN TOTALLY UNATTENDED IN AN UNLOCKED APARTMENT FFS.

I keep saying, so what, it’s not relevant to finding the girl. Despite the fact I completely disagree with you, Your condemnation isn’t going to contribute to finding her is it?

oldgit
    Free Member

I’m always reminded of the little lad that went missing in Greece? many years ago when I see the McCanns. They always thought he was taken to keep as a son. The thought that your baby could still be out there, well I don’t know how they cope.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Torminalis , are you stupid?

Might well be but I am not the one asserting that she died because of her parents actions. That is like saying rape victims were asking for it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone who has kids knows that they will make mistakes that put their kids’ safety at risk to some extent or another. I have done a few already.

They don’t often make the tabloids in the same way tho.

MTG – You sound like that mad bitch who faked the kidnap of her own daughter…

I don’t quite get that, but anyway…

How many children go missing each year ?
    How many make the front page ?
    What’s special about this case ?

GrahamS

@Torminalis & molgrips: +1, glad not everyone on here is so blindly callous and self-righteous.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member
    myheadsashed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Ben_Needham

his grandparents must be evil too

some of you should do some research rather than spouting sh1te

good to see compassion alive and well on STW perhaps we should just burn the McCanns at the stake.

Because we all know what faultless perfect parents reside here – perhaps you could offer us a book on perfect parenting and we can all learn from your flawless behaviour.

It’s like the f£ck1ing stoning scene in life of Brian listening to you lot…………..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I was originally of the opinion that the McCanns did it. Its by far the most likely explanation when a child is killed or disappears that the family did it.

However their reaction after all this time has led me to change my mind.

However the way the tabloids have built up the case is a horrific abuse and I think a book is an appalling thing to do.

GrahamS

How many children go missing each year ?

68 children (under 18) were abducted by strangers in England and Wales in 2004
    according to the http://www.missingpeople.org.uk/media-centre/papers/detail.asp?dsid=603 quoting the Home Office.

99% of all missing persons cases are resolved within one year.
    Around 75% within 48 hours.

What’s special about this case ?

• Happened abroad in a less-than-perfect parenting situation that many (but not all) parents can empathise with.
    • Parents openly tried to use the media to help with the search – which means more story to report, interviews, background etc
    • media were hoping that either they were guilt themselves (good story) or that Maddy was found (papers get to pretend they are heroes story)
    • parents had enough money and backing to keep the story in the headlines

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think this so there.

You’re wrong.

No, you’re wrong.

I think you’ll find it is I who am right.

Well, I am righterer than you.

No you are wrong and I have statistics to prove it.

You’re statistics are based on wrong; I have made a pie-chart which proves your wrongness.

Your pie-chart is naught but a flim-flam of flimsyness.

Well I don’t care ‘cos you’re a wally.

No, you’re a wally…

GrahamS

I think a book is an appalling thing to do.

Don’t forget that Gonçalo Amaral, the head of the regional Polícia Judiciária at the time, has written two books basically saying they did it – despite himself being sacked and charged with falsifying evidence in another disappearance where he arrested the mother and uncle of the disappeared Joana Cipriano.

Perhaps the McCanns, as well as needing funds, thought it might be a chance to reply?

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s like the f£ck1ing stoning scene in life of Brian listening to you lot..

+1.

However, for some perspective on the subject of mob mentality – http://www.mumsnet.com

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Looking at the sour face of her mother, I bet the kid is glad to be shot of her.

GrahamS

No often I’m tempted to reach for the Report button GlitterGary – but that post had me hovering over it… 😐

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes. That’s definitely out of order.

Torminalis
    Free Member

I actually thought it was quite funny. No where near as out of order as the asshats that are sincere in their moral judgements against the poor people.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

There’s a herd of moral high horses on here. What can you say.

😯

molgrips
    Free Member

Mate, there’s a line.

It’s not about moral high horsing.

iain1775
    Free Member

I take it you were all brought up by parents who watched you every second and were never more than 120 meters away from you at any time? Well done. Not every parent is so perfect,

the world has changed, its not as safe as it was when I was a child
    there is a big difference between being 120m away, and being pissed in a hotel bar with your children in an unlocked hotel room the other side of a busy hotel complex

Personally whilst I will openly admit I am far from the perfect parent that is one thing I can not contemplate ever doing
    Whilst I wouldnt buy or read the book, I would like to see the chapter where they try to justify their actions on that day

(and just for note Im in no way saying they deserved it, just that personally I dont get what goes through some peoples minds when they think they can do something like that)

GlitterGary
    Free Member

What part of the post has crossed the line?

The bit that said her mother is sour faced? That’s irrefutable. No one could argue with that.

Plus, for all we know, the kid may be happy.

toys19
    Free Member

I don’t see the problem with garyglitters post, it’s just a crap tasteless joke. The OP and the witchburners on here are the ones that have crossed the line.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

iain1775 – Member

this is simply untrue. Its what the tabloids would have you believe but its not supported by anything factual

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

toys19 – Member

I don’t see the problem with garyglitters post, it’s just a crap tasteless joke. The OP and the witchburners on here are the ones that have crossed the line.

Indeed

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Any chance we can close this thread please?

It’s degenerating rapidly.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Before becoming a father/parent I would have remained stoically very quietly about whether what they did was right/wrong/ill judged/naive whatever adjective you care to apply. I don’t think you can hold an informed view of their judgement until you’ve got kids of your own since being a parent is so far from easy, while having an opinion is the easiest thing in the world

All I can say now as a father/parent is that I would never do what they did.

Not ever

Not in million years would I leave my boy alone in a hotel room where I wasn’t in the very best position to protect him.

The McCanns did and they have to live with the consequence and I genuinely feel terribly for them and for the decision they made.

Because the one thing I know now more strongly than what I would have done in their shoes, is how utter and inconsolable must be their pain and torment because they have lost their little girl.

They don’t need anyone else’s judgement; their own must be more than enough to bear.

iain1775
    Free Member

this is simply untrue. Its what the tabloids would have you believe but its not supported by anything factual

given you don’t know WHEN I was a child I don’t see how you can confidently be sure of that 😉
    It is kind of irrelevant though as regardless of the world situation I agree xcompletely with the previous poster who has summed it up very nicely, its just something I would never even consider doing

toys19
    Free Member

All I can say now as a father/parent is that I would never do what they did.

I wouldn’t either, but then I recognise that some people call me a paranoid control freak, but my rational is that whilst it is unlikely, I don’t want to take the tiniest risk of losing the greatest things that ever happened to me. It’s similar to my fear of flying..

Either way that’s personal choice, but I still cannot see the relevance in the search for the kid. They are separate issues.

toys19
    Free Member

given you don’t know WHEN I was a child I don’t see how you can confidently be sure of that

Unless you were a child before records began then TJ can know, because less and less children are abducted each year. LOGIC FAIL.

GrahamS

there is a big difference between being 120m away, and being pissed in a hotel bar with your children in an unlocked hotel room the other side of a busy hotel complex

Hasn’t it actually got safer, despite what the papers tell you?

Depending on what account you read the McCanns were 120m away eating at the tapas bar and frequently checked on their kids. No one would claim that was perfect parenting, especially in light of what happened, but it isn’t that unusual, especially in a holiday situation where people’s guard may be a little relaxed.

Either way I don’t find feeling any less sympathy for them because they were not perfect parents.

IdleJon

I agree with geetee1972.

TandemJeremy – Member

iain1775 – Member

It still doesn’t make it acceptable to leave your child unsupervised, TJ, but I don’t think you are arguing that bit?

There seem to be quite a few people on here admitting to child neglect, which I find rather disturbing!

Anyone who has kids knows that they will make mistakes that put their kids’ safety at risk to some extent or another.

Other than, for instance, banging my kids’ heads on doors while swinging them around, I can’t imagine putting my kids’ safety at risk, and would be taking a long look at myself if I did.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Someone is surprised that someone who names himself after a convicted child sex abuser appears on this thread and makes a distasteful joke.
    Gary we could easily explain why a kidnapped child is unhappy to be taken,aginst her will , from her parents and possibly killed/harmed abused if you really need us to but no one is that dumb not even you.
    As for her mother being unhappy she has lost her child and does not know what has happened how happy should she look ?

Torminalis
    Free Member

I can’t imagine putting my kids’ safety at risk, and would be taking a long look at myself if I did.

Is that not exactly what you do when you put them into a car? Of course you can drive extra carefully but there is nothing to say that someone else isn’t just going to drive into you. It is not black and white, risk is a scale and to say that your kids will never be put at risk is pretty naive. Moralising about those who accept this fact even moreso.

IdleJon

GrahamS – Member

Depending on what account you read the McCanns were 120m away eating at the tapas bar and frequently checked on their kids. No one would claim that was perfect parenting, especially in light of what happened, but it isn’t that unusual, especially in a holiday situation where people’s guard may be a little relaxed.

Why would you get more relaxed about child safety in an unfamiliar setting?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I think, but could be wrong, that the statistics on child abduction/child murder are broadly static over the last 50 years or so.

IdleJon

Torminalis – Member

I can’t imagine putting my kids’ safety at risk, and would be taking a long look at myself if I did.

Is that not exactly what you do when you put them into a car? Of course you can drive extra carefully but there is nothing to say that someone else isn’t just going to drive into you. It is not black and white, risk is a scale and to say that your kids will never be put at risk is pretty naive. Moralising about those who accept this fact even moreso.

You know exactly what types of risk we are talking about, Torminalis. You seem to be arguing for the sake of it, which is just as distasteful as GlitterGary’s joke..

geetee1972
    Free Member

Is that not exactly what you do when you put them into a car?

The scariest thing I’ve ever done was drive my wife and new born son home from hospital.

The whole way home I kept thinking ‘who the **** ever thought that cars were a good idea?’ Your persepctives change when you become a parent.

Of course I drive my son now. I couldn’t function as a parent if I didn’t.

iain1775
    Free Member

Unless you were a child before records began then TJ can know, because less and less children are abducted each year. LOGIC FAIL.

I said the world was not as safe
    I didnt say it wasnt as safe because of number of children abducted
    there are many more things that affect how safe the world is for a small child than the likelyhood of being abducted
    Not all are recorded in crime figures either
    For example I could happily play in the street as a child, I couldnt leave my child to play in the street, way too much traffic nowadays

And actually given the lobour government changed the way crime figures are reported, the ‘records’ are not exactly a like for like comparison are they?

As for comparing putting your kids in a car to leaving them unattended – what kind of supid comparison is that?
    When I drive my daughter anywhere I strap her into the best car seat I could get and I take every precaution possible to ensure her safety. yes I cant account fot the actions of others but I have done everything in my power to reduce the risk of harm…. Hardly similar situation is it

Junkyard
    Free Member

jon that is a really loaded question and somehwat redundant Graham has already said you may be more relaxed when on holiday – the bit you emboldened. I guess he is saying on holiday you relax, do things you would not do at home. Butlins used to do a service where they would announce in the club where the crying children were so parents could return to them when I were a nipper sooth them and then carry on drinking. !!! That sort of trust or naivety is a thing of the past

GrahamS

Why would you get more relaxed about child safety in an unfamiliar setting?

Didn’t say it was logical, but last time I looked most people go on holiday to relax a bit.

In a nice “safe” luxury hotel compound, surrounded by friends and other well-to-dos, chatting away, everyone in good spirits, on a warm relaxing evening, after a glass or two of Rioja – it could be all too easy to be lulled into thinking the kids are safe, they are only over there, we’re checking on them and there are plenty of staff around.

Not sensible in hindsight, but there you go.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘McCanns: is this not ill-advised’ is closed to new replies.