Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Mazda RX8 Cheap?
  • DavidB
    Free Member

I used to get my bikes in the boot of mine with wheels off.

Such a great car to drive and I miss mine dearly.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Even with all the faults they drive so well that most owners forgive them their foibles.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Can get bikes in the back of a ford ka with the wheels offf…

Can get a kayak mostly in a Yaris as well.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Sounds just like your land rover ambulance Kenneth.

With the obvious exception that I’d never claim it to be more practical than a focus!

andybrad

Sorry if your struggling with it kenneththecurtain.

Anyhow just to elaborate, yes probably not as practical but it is better for baby carrying duties.

https://goo.gl/photos/Mk6hafjBjkmYw8eZ8

the doors mean you can easily get your kid in the seat with minimal fus and it was a pain in the focus. Especially as the MK2 had short rear seatbelts so it was hard to fit some car seats.

In short ive used this for everything i used the focus for (including snow and wet) but its hard to fit a bike in easily.

The lack of snow/wet usage may be due to the rubber im running as well though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

So ultimately it boils down “has cool doors”

andybrad

the doors are ace.

They do have one significant issue though. If you park too close to somone and need to get something out of the back. You can become trapped in the triangle of despair

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Sorry if your struggling with it kenneththecurtain.

onandon
    Free Member

As a car to borrow for a day and rag the hole off, yer, it’s mildly ok.
    However, as a long term proposition, I’d rather have herpes.

Nico
    Free Member

a pain in the focus

That’s just internet misinformation.

andybrad

no its not.

the door didnt open as wide on the 5 door and the seatbelt was so short it wouldnt fit a few of the car seats.

twisty

So ultimately it boils down “has cool doors”

From my ownership experience I’d say.

Is a very neutrally balanced for a RWD car so is comparatively forgiving and well behaved in wet and snow compared to other RWD e.g. an MX5 or a BMW.

For a car that is so cheap to buy second hand it comes well equipped and feels relatively luxury, air-con, leather heated seats etc.

Decent rear leg room and get compliments from passengers about the novelty of the doors and their experience.

Boot is a decent size but rear seats do not fold which makes less practical for carrying loads.

Is quite reliable if you look after a few things, coil packs, oil injectors/level to a lesser extent the engine mounts. Need to make sure you buy from somebody who did not neglect these things and ruin the engine.

Drives like a regular 1.6L car if you keep below 6k RPM, a punchy car when you drive 7- 10k RPM – it remains smoothly refined all the way to the 10k RPM redline – it has 230HP after all, but is also a reasonably heavy car.

legend
    Free Member

Bought one yet?

[video]https://youtu.be/ApqkW07apno[/video]

ericemel
    Free Member

Just do it.

I am currently tempted with a mint unmolested RX7 – which I know is an awful idea.

submarined
    Free Member

Just do it.

I am currently tempted with a mint unmolested RX7 – which I know is an awful idea.
    It’s a magnificently stupidly great idea. They’re wonderful, wonderful things (when they work). A mint standard one will also keep it’s value – prices are slowly, slowly rising.
    Relatively easy to mod for more power in a reversible fashion as well. Basic breathing mods release comfortably over 300 and make it phenomenally quick.
    /bias.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve hated RX8’s ever since a neighbour bought one and used to sit in his drive for 5 minutes idling before he set off then another 2+ minutes when he got back. Thankfully it died and he moved onto something more practical.

twisty

I’ve hated RX8’s ever since a neighbour bought one and used to sit in his drive for 5 minutes idling before he set off then another 2+ minutes when he got back.

Although there is no need to do either of those things with the RX8, just keep it below 5k revs for the first 5-10 mins of driving, idling it when he got back wasn’t achieving anything.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Mazda RX8 Cheap?’ is closed to new replies.