Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Mazda RX-8
  • STATO
    Free Member

Right, so a guy at work has bought himself a RX-8 and i need some (friendly) jipes about it. He has moved up from a MX5 so used to the expected comments on his mode of transport 😆

(by the way, im fully aware they are both great cars, its just fun to wind him up)

What you got?
    Rich.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

****el rotary engine

oomidamon

Has it got the optional crimpers in the glove box?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

ask him if he has to tow an oil tanker to keep the engine topped up

emac65
    Free Member

They drink fuel & engines wear out fairly quick,go like **** when they're right though

wors

what mrmichealewright said

mate had one, must have spent more money on engine oil than fuel!

STATO
    Free Member

i think oomidamon understood what i wanted, the rest of you going on about oil and fuel… you guys sound like youd be a real laugh at the office party… NOT! 😆

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Are you a poof, homosexual or just gay*?

(But the reason I decided not to get one was the oil/fuel issues. 20mpg and that is the oil consumption).

*Okay, not very PC so you had better be sure he doesn't file a claim against you. Don't even think about saying it if you work in local Government.

stumpy01

I think Mazda recommend checking the oil every other fill up!! And they are supposed to be very thirsty.

Apart from that…..erm…..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member
    Are you a poof, homosexual or just gay?

In a similar style….

What's the hardest thing about driving a Mazda RX8?

Telling your parents that you're gay.

(Awaits TJ telling me I'm terribly homphobic and taking all manner of offence at anything I've ever said 😉 )

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

That's the hardest thing about driving a Mazda RX8?

Telling your parents that you're gay.

I LIKE!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It can be used for so many things!

What's the hardest thing about rollerblading/waterskiiing/singlespeeding/badminton/etc. etc. etc.

DavidB
    Free Member

You will struggle as they are fantastic cars that handle brilliantly and don't cost much. The RX8 is a drivers car the MX5/Boxters/Z4 are the hairdressers cars. Oil and MPG are the main complaints..however we all know that any front wheel drive car is a FAIL don't we.

I couldn't possibly own up to owning one.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I hear they have replaced the cigarette lighter with a lipstick holder.

STATO
    Free Member

classic! no worry about being sued, more worry that id find all the screws taken out of my chair or some other joke retaliation

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

any front wheel drive car is a FAIL

(coughs) Audi TT (coughs).

I know, it is still a jayer car, but the handling is stunning. Never driven an RX-8 to compare, but if it is anything like the same, it will be equally stunning.

But the TT has nearly twice the economy of the RX-8!

STATO
    Free Member

they are fantastic cars that handle brilliantly

that are driven by women…

a major initiative taken in Britain in 2003 is slowly changing the face of motorsport in that country. "Formula Woman", launched at the Autosport International Show in Birmingham

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hmmmmmm, VBH…….yum…….

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

"You will struggle as they are fantastic cars that handle brilliantly and don't cost much. The RX8 is a drivers car the MX5/Boxters/Z4 are the hairdressers cars. Oil and MPG are the main complaints..however we all know that any front wheel drive car is a FAIL don't we."

Thats strange, most people who have driven the RX8 and MX5 normally agree that the MX5 is much the better sports car.

I looked at both and decided against the RX8 because it just isnt as nimble, balanced, nice to drive as the MX5, and the fuel economy is shocking!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Did anyone say the fuel/oil consumption is bad yet?

DavidB
    Free Member

I looked at both and decided against the RX8 because it just isn't as nimble, balanced, nice to drive as the MX5, and the fuel economy is shocking!

I looked at both, realised I could only get a few cans of hairspray in the MX5 and chose the RX8 instead.

Surfr
    Free Member

I must fit in a certain sector of car owners, having owned 2 MX5s a V6 TT and now and RX8.

You can even get bike and beer in the back.

Although I've a Saris Bones 3 on the way to make life easier.

sofatester
    Free Member

My diesel Punto has more torque.

Only "gays and girls drive them" if you want to be less factual 😆

DavidB
    Free Member

Only "gays and girls drive them"

Usually the one's with the greatest appreciation of style, so probably accurate.

I think I say a diesel punto in my rear view mirror once, couldn't quite see enough detail to be sure?

kennyNI
    Free Member

Can pass everything except a petrol station.

From an owner, just had engine replaced, and still not working properly 😥

Defensive mode now 😉
    Do you check you oil on all your modern cars? Golf GTI can use a bit, BMW bigger petrol engines use oil too. Possibly the problem with my RX8 was it wasn't using enough oil!

As for lack of torque, that's what the gearbox and nearly 9500rpm are for 😈 Most diesel engines probably have more torque than an F1 engine. See here, 202lb.ft torque for 2006 Toyota F1 engine, 2.0HDi Peugeot 236lb.ft (What Car Dec 2007, just happened to be handy).

Consider: your petrol car does 65mph at 6000rpm in 2nd gear. A formula one car revs 3 times higher, 18000rpm, and will be doing, depending on circuit for gearing, 200mph, which is just over 3 times 65mph. So there are 7 (or is it 8 now) gears, the longest of which is the equivalent gearing of somewhere between 2nd and 3rd on a road car.

To sum up, high revs and power over torque any day 😛

UncleFred
    Free Member

I used have a Series 3 RX7 – Twin Turbo's 330bhp used to scare the bejeezus out of me. But I loved it.

sofatester
    Free Member

I like the effort you've gone to there Kenny, i doubt anyone buying a RX-8 would think of that though.

The majority of people buy cars on brand, colour and options. Some will look at engine size, a very few will consider boot space (for bike storage of course).

To sum up, high revs and power over torque any day

Of course that is the case but what would you prefur in the real world?

– Do 160mph and get a ban?
    – Go 30-70mph in 3 seconds and still get >40mpg?
    – Drive a van and be able to fit 4 bikes, freinds and gear in and go for a weeks road trip round europe? 😆

sofatester
    Free Member

UncleFred – The RX7, now that is a real car! They don't make them like that any more 😥

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

hairdressers cars/drivers cars, there's a fine line.

Old MG's are definatley not drivers cars (they handle applaingly, almost like there is nothing holding the front wheels together), yet are almost only ever driven by married men.

New mini, hairdressers car, but had a ride in one the other day, goes like poop of a shovel.

sofatester
    Free Member

New mini, hairdressers car, but had a ride in one the other day, goes like poop of a shovel.

You've obviously never shovelled poop then! 😆

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Drove one once – horrible 'bangy' ride but tight in a corner.

And the only thing 'Mini' about them is the boot space.

Ultimate 'hairdresser's car' – the Ford Puma. Yet it is one of the best small cars around for fun factor (in the 1.7 guise).

Surfr
    Free Member

Ultimate 'hairdresser's car' – the Ford Puma. Yet it is one of the best small cars around for fun factor (in the 1.7 guise).

Aint that the truth. I was very pleasantly surprised when I did a few laps around Anglesea Circuit in one. I almost enjoyed it more than the Formula Ford I drove after.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

When I had mine (first ever brand new car) my wife (then GF) bought me a track day in it. I was terrified of binning it but I soon forgot that and loved banging it into the corners.

It WOULD have benefited from all round disks mind you. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

What scared me off the RX8 was the 'you cant run them down to the shops/turn off whilst still cold'.

Plus- the Boxster is supposed to be utterly sublime at handling?

The RX8- for the MX5 gayman who needs to carry more than one boyfriend around.. 😆

Zedsdead
    Free Member

There's no need to wind him up – he'll be crying at the amount of fuel it goes through.

Great cars though

DavidB
    Free Member

What scared me off the RX8 was the 'you cant run them down to the shops/turn off whilst still cold'.

Absolute bollocks. You just hold it at high revs for a few seconds then switch off. Been doing it in mine for years.

I think the RX8 is more geek than gay. Boxter is 200% gay.

STATO
    Free Member

he'll be crying at the amount of fuel it goes through

That'd be true if people who bought fast/sporty cars actually cared, its only mondeo drivers who ever care about fuel economy (obviously i dont actually mean 'mondeos' but more the old sterotype of mondeo drivers, you get what i mean)

hora
    Free Member

DavidB, seriously? (thats an honest question not a STW-go either). I read that in a few places (to do with the engine seals?.. and thats what stopped me from going from a MX5 upto a RX8 as alot of my driving can be under 5miles during the week.

DavidB
    Free Member

Yes seriously. All you do is bring the engine up to 5k hold for a few seconds and switch off. Older engines are more prone, they upgraded the starter motor and ECU on newer models. Mine is a 2007 192 Nemesis, never flooded it at all even moving it a few yds up the drive.

r6ymy
    Free Member

Had a 230ps from new for 2.5 years, avg fuel consumption 22mpg, oil wasn't too bad, about a litre for 2,000 miles. Never flooded mine but then I'd always let it warm up or spin it for a few seconds as said above.
    Fantastic car, would have one again if I could afford the fuel costs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Mazda RX-8’ is closed to new replies.