• This topic has 76 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Mayhem Was…………………Outstanding
  • Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Just got back from the best weekender, Mayhem rocks!!!! Did everyone enjoy it?

ctznsmith
    Free Member

My feet hurt from standing up for hours and hours and hours and hours, but it was fun (and busy) and people came and bought stuff which pays my wages. 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

"Enjoy" is such a strong word!

😕

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gee
    Free Member

Best one ever.

GB

valleydaddy
    Free Member

great fun – the climbs 😥

really enjoyed our adopted catering crew who kept us fed and watered – awesome

Marmoset
    Free Member

yeah, very good this year and quite a tough course in that there was very little scope for a rest..

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I agree there was no where really to catch your breath at all!

onewheelgood

when I got back from my first lap of the course the adjective I used was 'brutal'. Easily the hardest route they've given us – it would have been hell if it had rained. By the last couple of hours the changeover area was pretty quiet, so I'm guessing a lot of people found it too tough. And respect to the soloist who went through with 15 seconds remaining so he could get another lap in!

grtdkad

Loved it – and thankfully Pat's "deal with the devil" worked a treat with the weather!

Thanks to all of the organising team for yet another great weekend! 😀

gee
    Free Member

The only bit I didn't like was the new "singletrack" in the first bit of soggy woods – no flow and how was that still that boggy after a whole week of 20+ degrees and a tiny bit of rain???!! Nice to have some new bits though.

Houns

This was Friday Afternoon

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

"Right, Right, Right" oops I went left

The swoopy section before the steep road bit was great, and even the climbs were ok although they hurt me legs. Really enjoyed the whole thing. and its a much better course in the dry.

Houns

I missed you going Barrie 🙁

Good to see the 3 of you again 😀

uplink
    Free Member

I wouldn't call it boggy – it reminded me of plasticine

But yeah – it was horrible

Picto
    Free Member

Really was how a 24hour endurance should be!

grahamh
    Free Member

"Right, Right, Right" oops I went left

A lot of mute riders out there! No "on your left", "on your right", just all of a sudden they come barging past.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Was great fun.
    Even on my singlespeed…

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

This pic summarises MM for me…….it was only taken because I was way less fit than I would've liked and couldn't resist stopping to just chill in the evening sun and grab a quick photo. Realised at that point getting up the hills was the least of my priorities when there was cracking singletrack, wonderful evening sunlight and great company – the hills could wait their turn!

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

This was my second Mayhem, and I cant wait for next year. I loved the course but I think the Kenda Climb should of been the big climb out from the Pond to the top if you know what I mean!!
    We camped next to the "Jersey team' not sure if they read this but Top chaps!! We even enjoyed one of the Riders Birthday Cake!!
    know starts the daily duty of the looking for pics

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

oh forgot to say, well funny moment.. I was waiting for one of our riders and the lady next to me was waiting for 'Scoobydo' to arrive, the lady arrived in the pits and the 2 girls changed the suit over to the next rider, with that done she jumped on her bike and off she went, but not on her bike in fact she had jumped on completley the wrong bike and some other poor lady watch Scoobydo steal here bike!!!!! she managed to get all the way to the top of the Kenda climb before she noticed!!!!!

mikertroid
    Free Member

Best one I've done. Track was very tough but some very exhilariating sections. Liked the dusty descent; so long as you stuck to the right!!

rOcKeTdOg
    scotster
    Free Member

A sunny Mayhem is a happy one. Everyone sempt in good spirits and the sun brought out the punters and punters better halves into the main arena…
    which was nice.

Hard really to compare courses as they have usually been guilty of giving me trench foot.

Your right about there not being many places to catch your breath though. It was either fast, twisty or a place not to loose your concentration. The new bit with the plasticine switch backy climb was very very energy sapping and the reward was an energy sapping switch back down hill that really didnt have a flow to it.. just break in – push hard out. Not sure that was fun, but it was testing.

Anyway – all good.

Banana!

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Some great bits, but the climbs were brutal. I think it's aimed slightly above my fitness level, so my mission for next year is to get a lot fitter.

jim29
    Free Member

+1 for awesomeness

Although the section from Kenda Climb to 'Fireroad across field' which was horrid, horrid, sticky clay was not fun.

The Singletrack-woosh-a-tron was awesome however 🙂

Vortexracing

popped my MM cherry on this one so I have nothing to compare it to.

I 'think' i enjoyed it, but I'm too buggerd to actually know. The route I thought was great, the singletrack (except the first 2 bits) was fast as hell.

Great event all in all and now I can see why people enjoy it.

The weather of course makes all the difference. 😆

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Cracking course but the rain of previous years really would have made it hell.
    I'm not sure about the comments regarding the lack of "flow", I thought many of the descents were a great test of braking skills and bottle.
    I did think that having a constricting section of singletrack (just after the Kenda climb) so early in the event was a bad call givenm that they have 12 years experience in organising it. I heard grumbles that that section was bypassed for the first lap but only after a huge queue had built up.
    Also, wifey commented that there seemed to be less trade and exhibitor stands this year. Could that be a sign of harder times or have the pitch prices been put up?
    Having the kids races in the main arena in the morning was good.

rkk01
    Free Member

I've done all the MMs at Eastnor, and that was best one by far.

Just goes to show how good those trails can be in good weather!!!

Glad the old gravel Kenda Klimb of old was now largely absent, although even the last little bit of gravel climb up to the ridge was a bit of a punisher.

Got on ok with the main climb and the new, short KK, but hated the new bit of singletrack in the woods. In the depths of night lap mutterings I even figured it would put off going back to Eastnor…

Anyway, who marked it out – a 5' midget on a 14" framed bike??? I would have needed a chainsaw to negotiate my 20" Anthem through the narrow right angled bends in those woods.

All the other bits were great, including the dusty descent

rockitman
    Free Member

First proper attempt at solo'ing. It was brutal. Managed 9 laps and though I swore I wasn't sleeping I had to get my head down for a couple of hours at daybreak.

When I crossed the line I said never again. First thought this morning was "I need to get fitter so I'm better at it". We all know that this will just translate into the same pain but more laps…

+1 for the awesomeness. Had a brilliant weekend. The only improvement I have suggested is marshalling the solo camping area. Some teams invaded and chatted / shouted their way through Saturday night, keeping the missus awake. I was amused though when she said "They kept going on about how hard it was, how 'fatigued' they were and how one member didn't think he could manage a second lap. If it hadn't been so cold I would have got up and told them to MTFU". 🙂

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Good event, Weirdly I found it harder this year than previous, and at the risk of being told to MTFU, I'm still coughing up eastnor dust!

very enjoyable though with great people and a friendlier atmosphere than previous years – suppose that's got something to do with the weather.

the new singletrack bit wasn't that enjoyable, but it was testing, which is what it's supposed to be, I ddin't think it was that narrow, and it beats the boring fire-road bimble that you could have done on a road bike that it replaced.

don't think I'd change anything, other than ask the organisers to ban Generators in the campsites – really, are they actually necessary for people to have a comfortable camping experience? did my head in!

DaveGr
    Free Member

Tough course but didn't enjoy the new woods section. Rest of the course was mixture of hard climbing and great sections some of which in previous years were mud. The dusty descent was fun in a "avoid the people falling off in front of you" way.

Was camping in solo area (as a soloist!!!) and as above was surprised by the number of teams there. Lots more camping available this year and the start of the long climb seemed to be quite a chilled and relaxed place to be.

Next to me someone had taped off their area but no tents up. People arrived and set up their tents in this area, including moving the course four feet over to give themselves more room even though they had more than enough space. Saturday dawns and someone else turns up and wonders what's happened to their taped off area?? Yes, the people had just taken the person taped off area !!!

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Saturday dawns and someone else turns up and wonders what's happened to their taped off area?? Yes, the people had just taken the person taped off area !!!

wasn't really anyones area to start with though was it? first come first served IMO.

cookeaa

First mayhem for me, If you didn’t overtake me on the climbs you really should be ashamed of yourself …
    Our team were all utterly under-prepared and under-trained, we had injuries (some more serious than others) and mechanicals, I think the excuses list is a good long one…

Got chatting to a Unicyclist really nice chap, his first MM too, very impressed by them, not that I’d fancy it myself but you have to admire them I reckon…

My only minor complaint was about the singletrack/DH mincers, I’ll accept that these people were Waaaay fitter than me as they mostly overtook me on the way up, but bugger me they were slow when the track pointed down, there were a fair few riders who I re-took going down 3 or 4 times in a lap, having been passed by them on the ups, I’ll happily yield to a faster rider on a on a climb, but I was surprising how few would do the on the descents….

Loved the Sandy descent too, I was on a lap just as the light went, opted to do the sandy run rather than the chicken run, the glare from your helmet light off of the near white sand added an extra “snow blindness” style challenge….

I did really enjoy it and was planning the next attempt well before we left…
    Great atmosphere and some bloody impressive racing, I will be back for another one…
    But I need to train properly….

peachos
    Free Member

my first mayhem too. loved the course – i found the plasticine wood section strangely enjoable, maybe because of the challenge. best section was the syncros singletrack down to the sharp left hander onto the straight forest track…so fast and flowy. the weather was great, dusty trails were superb – i even got to use my race kings for the first time ever!

had a few too many off's (almost 1 per lap) so i've had a dead leg to contend with ever since my first lap on saturday afternoon and also have a broken pop-loc to replace. a big thanks to the SRAM / Fisher Outdoor team for supplying me with a spare clamp for my shifter, which also took the brunt of one of my downtimes.

well done to rockitman & ron (and all the other soloists)…although you looked far too chirpy at the end of the race so i reckon you each had a couple of extra laps in you somewhere 😀 one day i might entertain the thought of doing something stupid like that!

peachos
    Free Member

oh, and the sunset up by the pike (or whatever it was) was great!

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Ditto the sunset.

Johnels

Gotta say, I thought the course had too much 'grimace' and not enough 'grin'. We don't go to compete, it's a fun challenge with a bunch of mates and hopefully some good riding. The course lacked flow, especially through plasticine woods. I thought it was me being grumpy and knackered, but I heard it a lot over the weekend. That the weather held out was a blessing. Rain would have made it hell. I did enjoy the challenge of riding along the shelf in the off-camber woods though.

Hopefully someone will take notice and next year the course will challenge riders 'and' be fast, flowing and fun to ride, even if you're not keeping up with the Nick Craigs of this world.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Personally I liked the bit through the woods (although the surface deteriorated when damp) and would suggest that the 'flow' some folks have mentioned is what trail centres are all about not race courses.

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

Great Mayhem this year. Did the course on the Friday (as I only live 2 miles away) and it was much better than the year before.

Photos here:

DSC_0029

If you see yourself and want a full copy, just send me a message 🙂

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

does anyone know who the photographer was in the 2nd set of woods (the fast flowy ones before you descended back towards the campsite?) at around 8 on the saturday night?

fairly pro looking set up, I imagine he'd have got some good shots (hopefully of me :-))

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Mayhem Was…………………Outstanding’ is closed to new replies.