Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Maybe January isn't the best time to start building a new shed.
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

My brother has shed envy, so he asked if I would build him one.

The ground was permafrosted then we got snowed off late in the afternoon, but we’ve got the materials on site and the first couple of poles in. Weather permitting we should make some headway tomorrow.

The stealth McMoonterisation of Scotland creeps forward a step.

legend
    Free Member

2 poles in 1 day? This isn’t the new Rate My Brickie thread is it??

boblo
    Free Member

Is that your place behind the Landy McMoo? 🙂

wwaswas

That’s the servants wing I think.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Is that your place behind the Landy McMoo?

No, sadly, its Falkland Palace. My brother lives next door.

2 poles in 1 day? This isn’t the new Rate My Brickie thread is it??

Not quite, we had a lot of faffing cutting down trees to clear the site, and sorting out glass. Once we get going progress should be swift.

scaredypants

No, sadly, its Falkland Palace. I own that; My brother lives next door.

😉

Pigface
    Free Member

😆

mcmoonter
    Free Member

No, sadly, its Falkland Palace. I own that; My brother lives next door.

He’s the successful one in the family 🙁

flippinheckler
    Free Member

That is some Palace, what does your brother do?

shaggy

He’s the successful one in the family

Depends how you measure it. Does he have a wood burner as nice as yours?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Depends how you measure it. Does he have a wood burner as nice as yours?

He has no woodburner nor woodpile. They could do with both as their house is chilly. That warms my soul.

rOcKeTdOg

concreting posts into the ground looks permanent to me, you sure its a “temporary building”? thinking of doing similar, no planning permission needed?

footflaps

Not quite, we had a lot of faffing cutting down trees to clear the site, and sorting out glass. Once we get going progress should be swift.

We’ve all heard that one before… Seriously, you should fire your pole planter and hire a professional. The way he has laid out all the other poles clearly shows he’s not a pro!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

concreting posts into the ground looks permanent to me, you sure its a “temporary building”? thinking of doing similar, no planning permission needed?

The posts aren’t concreted in, apparently it attacks the tannin in the wood and promotes rot.

My brother checked with the planning department as it is a conservation area. They view the proposal as a temporary building and the stipulations weren’t too severe. It had to be 1m from a boundary wall and there was a height restriction, which we wont come close to exceeding.

Building off the posts is a quick easy building solution for a temporary shed. It should last well as there is always air circulating around the base.

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Will watch with interest, as looking to build my own shed (man cave) rather than buy one off the shelf, plus I work for a timber merchant. I will probably overbuild it as I am very security conscious (even that’s probably an understatement). Need somewhere to train on turbo as current shed has too much junk in it now, even though it has heating and lighting and can still get the wifi.

Bunnyhop

Lovely turrets.

Last weekend mr bh. went out to do manly things. One being to finally get one of the wood stores built. Snow started to come in and it was quite chilly. This weekend it’s going to be put on hold again.
    Oh well.

rOcKeTdOg

Cheers for the info McMoonter

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Challenging conditions today but we made some progress. We have the outside ring of posts in place. Its going to have a wee covered verandah at the front, the entrance wall will have windows. So we need to put in the six central posts which will support the glass.

The green house will be relocated.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

We only had an afternoon to work with yesterday, Hamish wanted to help, he’s four.

We got the middle row of posts in that will support the glass and just got the last floor joist in when it was so dark we could barely see the tape.

hora
    Free Member

WOW that is a lovely area. Jealous 🙂

Bunnyhop

Nice work (not I’d expect anything less). Hamish – what a brilliant name, one of my favs.

qwerty
    Free Member

Its going to have a wee covered verandah at the front

Why not install a unrinal and plumb it into a soakaway?

andrewh
    Free Member

WOW that is a lovely area. Jealous

In the summer, yes, I would love to live there.
    In the winter it gets no direct sunliht for about 3 months as it’s in the shadow of the hills. Small price to pay though.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

They are not straight, the Poles that is.

AngusWells

The Poles aren’t straight. Is this something to do with crooked European plumbers fixing the wee verandah?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My brothers house just catches the winter sun, it reaches halfway across the pavement. It was something they checked on before buying. Houses on the other side of the street get none for the winter. Bleaker than a bleak thing.

The posts are pretty near plumb, we will cut the excess off the lengths when the roof goes on.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Some are near the plum, others are much nearer the wall 😀

Kevevs
    Free Member

cool! how long is it going to take?
    can I ask you.. you inherited this right? not funded by paintings?! and if so, how much do you get after tax for yer paintings? I’m very curious as thinking a bout going into the painting business

mcmoonter
    Free Member

How long is it going to take?

It should take us a day to make and clad the roof, maybe another to lay the floor and clad the walls. Maybe three days more if all goes well. You have to factor in tea drinking and head scratching.

This is my brothers place.

Open a gallery f you want to get rich through art. Don’t be an artist unless you start out very very rich.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Poor weather has delayed progress but we got back to the job today. One side clad using material salvaged from the house refurb so far. Daylight has beaten us again, should get back to it tomorrow and hopefully have the roof on for the weekend.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Yay, we picked up the roofing sheets, at lunch time and had the rood on before darkness fell. Now we can work away under cover which will make life a lot easier.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pete, wee mention for Falkland palace in here-

Jonny Cash

In the present of greatness.

giantx4
    Free Member

Mcmoonter thats lookin sweet mate!

footflaps

Looking very nice!

toys19
    Free Member

I’m impressed. I need to learn a bit about shed construction: why posts into the ground? My shed just has joists which lay on the damp proof sheet, on top of the breeze blocks. I’m not sure why either is chosen and would appreciate enlightenment..

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I need to learn a bit about shed construction: why posts into the ground? My shed just has joists which lay on the damp proof sheet, on top of the breeze blocks

The are a couple of reasons for using the posts. The first is that they will form the frames around which glass will be inserted. Secondly, I think it is easier to build off the posts than having to make a block built foundation. The posts are pressure treated and any rainwater will be guttered off the roof into water butts, so theoretically they should last fairly long in their dry holes. Air will be able to circulate more freely under the building, and I like the aesthetic of the building floating above it’s foundation.

We framed and clad the back of the building with more of the salvaged timber from the house today. On Monday afternoon we should be able to make a start on the floor. then we just have to windows to insert, a door to make, gutters to fit and a coat of paint and we’re done.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Ah ha, so that’s how you upload images from an iPad. 🙂

footflaps

The posts are pressure treated and any rainwater will be guttered off the roof into water butts, so theoretically they should last fairly long in their dry holes.

Even longer of you make sure water can’t settle around the top of the concrete, otherwise they can rot through in about 10-15 years. I put in 100m of fencing in 2001 and a few of the pressure treated 4″ posts have almost rotted completely through at the top, but the majority are in pretty good nick. All to do with how well the water drains from the base of the post.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Foot flaps, I didn’t bed the posts in concrete for that reason and that concrete attacks the tannin in the wood and promotes rot. The ground is free draining too.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My brother had man flu today and I was recovering after the dentists’s drill, but in a couple of hours I managed to lay about a 1/3 of the floor before it got dark. All being well, we should get it all laid tomorrow.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Maybe January isn't the best time to start building a new shed.’ is closed to new replies.