Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)
  • Maxxis tyres – what are they made of?
  • DezB
    Free Member

https://www.merlincycles.com/maxxis-rekon-folding-exo-tr-mtb-tyre-275-x-280-96733.html

RRP …. £100??? One Hundred POUNDS? for an MTB tyre?? HAs the world gone mad?

fin25
    Free Member

Maxxis tyres – what are they made of?

Women’s tears

noltae
    Free Member

Onza have got the 2.8 skinwall for over a ton – £108 – I won’t be getting . .

singletrackmind

Unicorn poo , obvs

DezB
    Free Member

Well, at least they’ll smell nice

trail_rat
    Free Member

I saw a 98 quid disk rotor yesterday …..

Eh naw.

oldnpastit

They’re made of oil.

earl_brutus
    Free Member

Having seen the recent prices of santa cruz bikes from £4k- 10k. And see people actually buying them. And the cost of enduro entri £70+ I am not in the least surprised that tyre prices are so high. Becoming a v rich mans sport is mtb.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s a plus size tyre, it’s a lot t more material than a normal tyre and really early in its production run. Other stuff is available, other stuff is the same price.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Oh and on the event entry fee, do you see loads of super rich event organisers or should they do it at a loss?

gwurk
    Free Member

Neither of your arguements stand up Mike

Do you own a Santa cruz with expensive Maxxis tyres and pay to partake in Enduro events with it by any chance?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well before we get down the santa Cruz bitching check out s-works pricing along with many others. Also check out the price of the alu bikes around, never been better priced bikes available to compliment the expensive end of things.
    How do maxxis prices compare to Schwalbe or continental?
    How much does it cost to run an event? What do you need to run a safe and good event? How much does that cost? Want to do an event with no marshalls or medics or insurance?

gwurk
    Free Member

A simple “yes to all 3” would have sufficed.

But since you ask. I’ve absolutely no interest in doing “events” at all Mike. If you’re not at the sharp end of the racing you’re simply following the same route. Something you can do any other day of the year absolutely free with no need for marshalls, timing, medics or insurance.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and too add I sold MY SC’s and have an Alu Commencal that is amazing value and much better than I could have got 10 years ago for the money.

So on the events we will just put you down as don’t get events and just up for a troll then 😉

as for the rubber, great collection of Maxxis for under 50 quid
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q=maxxis+minion+dhf+mtb+tyre+-+exo&cat=product

Superficial
    Free Member

If you’re not at the sharp end of the racing you’re simply following the same route. Something you can do any other day of the year absolutely free with no need for marshalls, timing, medics or insurance.

Oh right. So unless you’re racing world cups, you may as well not bother? You’re obviously entitled to your opinion, but the number or people participating in amateur sports events worldwide suggests that your view is not widely held.

gwurk
    Free Member

No Mike. I completely “get” the event goer thing. It’s just of no interest to me. Neither is what bike you own.

I simply have a different view point to yourself. Try to accept that like a big boy rather than call me names.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

OK, must have been the confusing posts there….
    Do you think event fee’s are way more than they cost to run? Genuine question – it’s easy to bag prices but if you can’t come back and give any reasons then it’s all a bit empty – and yes sounds like trolling.
    You told me my arguments don’t stand up but can’t say why – again normal trolling behaviour on here.

anyway head off and race yourself for an afternoon, just imagine how much less fun it is when it’s a race…

gwurk
    Free Member

You’re putting words where I did not go @Superficial.
    “Eventing” people like to enter events. But lets not kid ourselves on. The vast majority are partaking rather than actually racing. 10345th in the London Marathon is not racing in exactly the same way 253rd is not in an mtb enduro event.
    The number of people partaking (I use this word deliberately) in amateur sporting “events” proves my point fairly well.

gwurk
    Free Member

No Mike. I know exactly what events cost to run

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The vast majority are partaking rather than actually racing. 10345th in the London Marathon is not racing in exactly the same way 253rd is not in an mtb enduro event.

When I raced in the UK regularly I was 100% racing – it was the guys around me, my mates and a few others, there were some bragging rights and the challenge of pushing yourself hard.
    Some events are just great fun, 4 day stage racing is tough and hard to do but such a feeling when you complete it. Nobody cares where you came but how you participated. Anyway more chirping from the sidelines we assume and cherry picking of one item to complain how terrible modern mountian biking is.

gwurk
    Free Member

I said your arguement with Earl does not stand up. and it doesn’t.
    you’re just too blinkered and used to paying through the nose for the latest trends in mtb to see why.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do you think event fee’s are way more than they cost to run? Genuine question – it’s easy to bag prices but if you can’t come back and give any reasons then it’s all a bit empty – and yes sounds like trolling.

gwurk – Member
    No Mike. I know exactly what events cost to run

and the answer to the question is?

you’re just too blinkered and used to paying through the nose for the latest trends in mtb to see why.

Lol!!
    My frames that go for 5-6 years, my parts that are well selected at a good price point, lots of conversations with people on all sides of the industry and seeing all these people buying supercars from owning/running bike businesses.

gwurk
    Free Member

wind your neck in and stop taking my opinion personally for a minute. I’m not complaining about modern mountain biking being terrible. I’m simply agreeing with Earls comment that it’s becoming a rich mans sport.

it’s a thread about a £100 pushbike tyre FFS!

folk will pay £15 for an elasticated velcro luggage strap these days to strap their spare tube on their Enduro frame. surely even you must be able to see how silly this is?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sorry just wondering if you want to answer the question…

It is a thread about cherry picking one item and using it to proclaim that modern mountain biking is a rich man’s sport while conveniently ignoring the huge amount of reasonably priced kit out there.

edit

folk will pay £15 for an elasticated velcro luggage strap these days to strap their spare tube on their Enduro frame. surely even you must be able to see how silly this is?

And plenty will use tape of a cheap strap – nobody is forcing anyone to spend that £15. I see people spending more than I would pay for a groupset on some kitchen knives it’s doesn’t make cooking a rich man’s game!

gwurk
    Free Member

Whoooosh…

Stevelol
    Free Member

Get a room you two….

gwurk
    Free Member

Sorry just wondering if you want to answer the question…

Which question? You seem to have gone off on one and I’m not even sure I’m able to decipher all of it.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Mike.

You really do sound like an arrogant arse, I haven’t got the time to waste on putting you down.
    Just stay in the southern hemisphere or else.

jamesoz

Maxxis do tend to be on the high price side, being as the claimed weight of the tyre is 780g (quick google) it’s not amount of materials.
    Simple answer, dont buy them and don’t buy into ‘the next best thing’.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

cyclelife – Member
    Mike.

You really do sound like an arrogant arse, I haven’t got the time to waste on putting you down.
    Just stay in the southern hemisphere or else.
    Thanks for that, love a good threat…

Just trying to get to the bottom of where all this massively expensive stuff is and how nobody ever holds up the good solid cheap stuff and proclaims how good value stuff is.

I’m still yet to find anyone rolling in it from the bike trade but they must be somewhere and keeping very quiet about it.

jamesoz

Another quick google suggests a Nobby Nic in + size has an rrp of under £60.

BoardinBob

Don’t bite at GW’s trolling

mindmap3
    Free Member

The price of tyres is getting pretty silly, especially the plus versions. It’s not just Maxxis either; look at the price of the E13 tyres at £72 each for normal sizes.

However, there are plenty of good alternatives for a lot less money (e.g. Spesh tyres are often good at around £30-40).

Prices do seem to be going up, but if you adjust your focus there is some great kit at sensible money (e.g. Deore instead of XT).

jam-bo

It is a thread about cherry picking one item and using it to proclaim that modern mountain biking is a rich man’s sport while conveniently ignoring the huge amount of reasonably priced kit out there.

Mtb’ing is not a cheap or accessible sport.

Take a look around at the next race or trail centre you go to and tell me the about the demographic. I’ll bet you £10 it is predominately affluent, white, middle class males.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not the most accessible but lots of sports are not
    https://www.commencal-store.co.uk/meta-ht-am-origin-650b-yellow-2017-c2x19265777
    https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO45650BNX1/on-one-45650b-sram-nx1-mountain-bike
    As far as entry level bikes go there are a few out there, second hand has some great deals too. The demographic can change

whitestone
    Free Member

Bontrager tyres are typically £40 or so, there’s cheaper but I get on with them so am prepared to pay the extra.

Once you get into niche sizes like plus tyres then there’s limited production runs so recovering R&D and tooling costs more per tyre. I’ve paid £125 each for two fat bike tyres but unless I rip the sidewall then they’ll last me years so it should be a one off hit.

nickc

tell me the about the demographic

last Trail centre I went to was Llandegla, and yes you could find folk on v expensive bikes, but overwhelmingly it was folk on pretty cheap/reasonable stuff, or families or folk on rentals. The argument that it’s a rich man sport is as old as the hills. but in reality it’s not. I think I paid about £250 for a STXRC 3×8 groupo back in the late 90’s; a quick google says a SLX 1×11 is £240 ish.

anyone who wants “bang on trend” kit though, is going to be paying full RRP for it, but that’s true of anything in life, not just MTB

jamesoz

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Crazy money for a tyre. Hopefully people will see sense and shift to cheaper brand or wait till they get discounted?

scotroutes

Mtb’ing is not a cheap or accessible sport.

Take a look around at the next race or trail centre you go to and tell me the about the demographic.
    As a sport it’s not cheap. As a pasttime or hobby (i.e. for the overwhelming majority) it’s as cheap as you want it to be. Step away from the racing and trail centres and there’s a huge number of folk riding cheap bikes, wearing cheap kit and not giving a damn.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis tyres – what are they made of?’ is closed to new replies.