Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Maxxis tyres – loose bead + tubeless issues
  • cheers_drive

Over the past month or so I’be been burping my tyres (front and back) with an increasing regularity. Including one inopportune time when the front burped majorly when dropping in to a steep rooty trail which put me on the deck face first but could have been much worse.
    Previously I had been using various stardard Maxxis tyres on my Shimano XT tubeless wheel over the last 2 years with no issues. Maxxis std tyres have always had a slack fit on the beads (i’ve never needed a tyre lever) but I reckon they stretch more over time and just don’t stay on the rim when cornered hard.
    I’ve lost confidence in the tyres so I’m putting tubes back in until they have worn enough to warrent replacement. The combo I have been using for the past 8 months is 2.25 Advantage front and 2.25 Crossmark back.
    I guess I you are going to say that I should be running LUST tyres but no one else appears to have problems running standard tyres tubeless.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I’ve got an ignitor running tubelss and it’s not too bad but having binned it before running tubeless on Bontrager Tyres and rims I wouldn’t use anything else but a Maxxis LUST tyre. When you fit them and feel how tight the bead bites it’s fantastic reassurance.

I just noticed the other night that I’d fitted my ardent on the front wheel backwards, so earlier I let all the air out and for good measure I rode along a bit and it took some force to get the bead to separate from the rim, confidence inspiring to say the least

ampthill

I have a paair of part worn High Rollers in the shed. They kept slipping at the front and ripping the iner tube valve out. Which was a pain and hardly an encouragement to try tubeless

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You’re not the only one.

I rolled a Maxxis ADvantage off my flow with increasing regularity until I took the warning and swapped them out for some rubber queens.

The bead also failed on the Aspen that I was using on the rear wheel of the same bike.

I agree completely that they stretch over time – They were fine for most of a season before it started happening.

Disappointing as it was a fantastic combination, and I generally like Maxxis tyres. Their LUST range is limited though.

Burls72
    Free Member

I’ve always run maxxis tyres (kevlar/wire/lust) and never had a problem but they do say that you should only use wire bead tyres (or lust/ust).

Brown
    Free Member

I’ve had it happen loads on kevlar beaded ones. After a massive burp, I managed to blow a tyre clean of the rim with a hand pump, covering my friends in latex and shocking some walkers 500m away.

I only steel bead Maxxis now.

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Yep – same Maxxis issues here, had tyres blow off the rim on Crests, had lots of burping, pulled one off the rim at McMoab…

They’re a lot better when new, and I’ve been told the EXO tyres are much better. But I’ve converted to Schwalbe, and haven’t looked back – so easy to tubeless, incredibly fast and super grippy.

sunnrider
    Free Member

I just got some maxxis high rollers, I wanted the lust ones but they weren´t in stock in my lbh.
    I have xt tubeless rims and I´m looking at putting a 2.35 (its 2.1 really..) supertacky front with a 2.35 dualply rear. Haven´t fitted em yet and I´m wondering if I should. Theres some scary terrain around here to come off on in a blowout. Any advice?

mrh86

I think it must depend on what rim you are using. I am using dt ex500 rims with a notubes conversion. Using exactly the same tyres as sunnrider has got (2.35 ST SP high roller on the front and a 2.35 60a DP on the back). They are two of the tightest tyres I’ve ever known to get on and off. I have been riding in the lakes with 25-30 psi in them for 4 months now with no problems.

twonks

I’ve had Stans ZTR 355 rims with Advantage eXception tyres for 2 years on my FS, and never had a problem with the tyre popping off or burbing.

Until today when my newly installed second rear eXception blow off in the middle of the ride.

Sounded just like a shotgun and came clean off the rim all the way round one side, covering my leg in fresh 2 week old sealant.

Ni problem, I’d put the spare tube I carry in and sort it when I get home – well I would if the tube didn’t have a schrader valve which doesn’t fit.. grr.

So a nice 20 minute walk out of the woods to meet my wife who kindly came to get me, and an hour swearing at the wheel in the garage this evening trying to get it seated once more.

Think I’ll go back to tubes !

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis tyres – loose bead + tubeless issues’ is closed to new replies.