Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • maxxis ardent experiance?
  • neil853
    Free Member

What’s people’s opinions? Thinking of getting the 2.25 LUST versions…..

Suggsey
    Free Member

I bought a set of 2.25 folders for summer and tried to ride them as long as possible but found that the majority of my local rides are mud based as is Cannock Chase and in mud on the front-lethal! Not enough traction on the rear in mud either but I would imagine if you are riding mainly rocky trails or sand based you will get away with them. They are fast rolling lovely big volume so nice on the hardtail and as said good grip in the dry non muddy conditions.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Only tried one on the rear and found it terrifyingly grip – free. And I like slidey tyres…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Fantastic tyre IMHO… ran one all “summer” on the SS..

Will defiantly be purchasing another for the HT next year..

Coupled with a Crossmark on the rear, a pretty good all round combination I reckon.

Coyote
    Free Member

Make sure you’ve got enough clearance. They are a big tyre.

scaredypants

there’s a big bald strip between the centre knobs and the edges – only grip in mud if you’re upright or quite far over IME

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

They’re a dry weather tyre that happen to work well at trail centres all year round.
    If you ride in mud, get some swampthings or trailrakers.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Yep. Got the 29 version. Not very good in the mud. My pair don’t seem to be quite round, either (eccentric).

neil853
    Free Member

I’m getting them for mainly the lakes and trail centres, for more natural stuff i’ll use my on one with swampthings on 🙂

jamesb
    Free Member

absolutely lethal on front in mud / peaty stuff, floated everywhere, went sideways. tried on back , reversed direction to that marked and not too bad on most terrain. Conclusion avoid at all cost on front unless dry

doof_doof
    Free Member

there’s a big bald strip between the centre knobs and the edges – only grip in mud if you’re upright or quite far over IME

What he said.

fbk
    Free Member

Just stuck one on the front – very fast rolling and plenty enough grip for rocks/trail centre and perfect with a Larsen on the back. It does show a bit of the “Maxxis drift” but you get used to it – I’d much prefer that to the “continental wash out without warning 😉

As above though, I’d stick something beefier on for anything muddy but that’s just common sense really….isn’t it?

warpcow
    Free Member

I ran one on the front from about April up until a couple of weeks ago and loved it. Once you get used to the ‘Maxxis drift’ it actually inspired confidence and pushed me to ride a little more aggressively to keep it gripping. I’ll probably try it on the back next spring. Until then I’m getting on well with an ADvantage on the front now. There’s only a little more rolling resistance and it grips well in all but the stickiest clay mud (the Ardent cleared faster).

m_t_b
    Free Member

Could not get to grips with it the drift is ok but not if you are doing twisty singletrack – you just cant lean far enough for the outside grips to pick up

PJM1974
    Free Member

I really rate these as a versatile tyre, I can even inflate them to 60spi and commute on them! They seem to wear well too.

Ideally I’d pair them with something more aggressive up front like a Minion or High Roller, but for three seasons of the year they do a great job.

simonm
    Free Member

absolutely lethal on front in mud / peaty stuff, floated everywhere, went sideways. tried on back , reversed direction to that marked and not too bad on most terrain. Conclusion avoid at all cost on front unless dry

Same XP here.. almost died on Winhill greasy single track with it on front.
    Fantastic at last years weekender on loose, rocky and trail centre type stuff. Also great in the Peak over 3 seasons.

I found overall more grip than Advantages, like a highroller but faster rolling.

scotabroad

I have them on my hardtail and have not found the need to take them off for winter yet, I think they are fine in the wet on trail centres, lake district, general purpose rides. Used them once in the mud and didnt think they were too bad. Their good rolling characteristics make up for the low mud performance with the type of riding I do. Great tyre.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

still running the LUST version on the rear of the FS bike – for trail centre riding only, can’t imagine it will cope with clywd mud at all

a true 2.25″ width size and large volume tyre, rolls well, dropped the pressure a bit now so it has stopped spinning out on greasy rock climbs, its not light – about 820g but has thick sidewalls

quite like ’em

walleater

I had the 2.6″ version on the front for a (very short….) while. I agree with scaredypants. They also have a high / triangular profile which only makes matters worse. I found them OK once I let a load of air out of them but still preferred Minnions and High Rollers.

MussEd
    Free Member

I’ve only recently started using them, in fact was out today in a filthy day down at Innerliethen. On the first part of our descent – off piste in very very muddy conditions – I was a bit flummoxed by the clagging up of my front tyre. Didn’t stop me enjoying it, but when we rejoined the main XC descent I was flying. Plenty grip and seemed to roll really quickly. I Like them.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘maxxis ardent experiance?’ is closed to new replies.