• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jim.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Maxxis Advantage
  • mikey74
    Free Member

How do 2.25 Advantages compare to 2.35 High Rollers? I mean in terms of grip.

carlphillips
    Free Member

ive had both, HR's way grippier IME

Crag
    Free Member

What fmh said. Fast rolling on the back but be prepared to slide if you put it on the front.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Dan
    Free Member

depends on what/where you are riding, the ADvantage is excellent on the front (and the back) in dryer conditions and is less great in mud and greasy stuff where the highroller excels. horses for courses.

firestarter
    Free Member

i find my advantage great but i thought high rollers were awful i got rid after a few rides. Odd 🙂

JxL
    Free Member

absolutely useless in mud though, may not be a good choice for a winter tyre.

james
    Free Member

Bear in mind a 2.25" Advantage is much bigger volume than a 2.35" High Roller. A 2.5" High Roller is very similar in volume to a 2.25" Advantage

Something to do with an advantage being a 'new' tread design (along with crossmarks, ardents) on bigger carcasses, and high rollers are an 'old' read design (along with minions, larsen TTs, ignitors) and much smaller

I reckon my 60a 2.35" HR is grippier than my 60a 2.25" advantage up front in slop and probably better in turns etc, but I think mostly because my rims are too narrow (mavic XM719s) to get proper/decent performance out of the advantages. They need some nice wide rims I think, like 28mm DT EX5.1Ds, Bontrager Rythms etc ..
    Although a much better fit to my rims, the high rollers have much taller cornering tread so probably contribute to better cornering as well as fitting with a much squarer profile to XM719s

cp

I've got ADvantage XC 2.1's in 70a compound. They've worn really really well so far, and I've been pleasantly surprised by their all round grippiness. They've not been used so much in wet conditions (except dewy mornings!). I've found them to be very grippy (for reference, at the ST Weekender in Lee Quarry, on the DH they didn't wash out on any turn even the bottom few berms. I got into the no time-penalty group too, so they must have been OK!

Everywhere else I find them grippy, reliable and fast rolling.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Advantages absolutely useless unless bone dry

firestarter
    Free Member

i found the high rollers to be that captain must be something in how we ride 🙂

nuke

Always thought the Advantage was more suited to the rear so I run a HR 2.35 on the front and 2.25 Advantage on the rear. Works fine for me.

ChrisF
    Free Member

I couldn't get on with an Advantage 2.25 as a rear tyre. It was fast rolling but lost traction too easily, particularly on gritty gravelly climbs in the Peak. I'm used to having a Racing Ralph on the rear, the Advantage was slower and less grippy. Now using a Nobby Nic 2.25 rear which hooks up loads better and rolls nicely. It was used on a SS if that makes any difference to you.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I really like my 2.35 high roller front and 2.1 advantage rear combination, the front end has masses of grip to help control any of the (very predictable) slide in the rear. It's pretty good in terms of climbing grip too, the low rolling resistance far outweighing the occasional wheelspin. I ran this combo on my 5 before it got moved over onto the hardtail when I swapped the wheelsets.

glenh
    Free Member

Advantage is great in my opinion, but you get the same polarised replies for any tyre.
    I guess because of different terrain and riding styles.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Advantage: Have had a 2.1 60a on the front and a 2.1 70a on the back of my HT, and a 2.1 70a on the rear of my FS.

Good normal trail tyre IMO. Cheap, high volume for the stated size, enough rubber to tolerate ghetto tubeless, lowish pressures and rocks, lowish central tread rolls OK, strong continuous side knobs for grip without being as square as HRs. You notice the weight compared with a true XC tyre, but much faster than 2.35 HRs which drag like freeride/DH tyres (which they are).

I'm keen to try the Ardent and Aspen and 2.25 Advs.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Run Advantages all year round. Only problems I have are on steep, wet, long, grass; other than that they grip well in all conditions. Mainly ride Lakes in winter where it's quite rocky, so drain s well and there isn't much mud.

jim
    Free Member

Advantages absolutely useless unless bone dry

I'd really have to disagree with that. Unless you're in mud tyre territory I find they (2.1 60a at around 35psi ) grip really well.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis Advantage’ is closed to new replies.