Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Mavic Open Pro CERAMIC rims
  • qwerty
    Free Member

i’ve got a winter out of my regular MAVIC Open Pro rims which are £40 each, the Ceramic version are £80, so do you reckon i’d get more than 2 years out of them? Is Ceramic a better braking surface?

Ta

reggiegasket
    Free Member

yes

I run two sets of ceramics and they are both about 4 years old and showing minimal wear and just the odd chip here and there. Better braking too.

The only downside is that they are 32h only, so you struggle to build a uber-light set.

njee20
    Free Member

Why would you be using Open Pros on an uber light build anyway!?

They certainly do last far longer, if you’ve managed to kill normal ones in a year they’re probably a good investment.

Waderider
    Free Member

I have ceramics on my winter hack/tourer. The economics stack up for me, plus they’re cool rims. It’s not often something spangly saves you money (if you avoid potholes).

sparsons
    Free Member

I’ve got some ceramic X717’s and I’m not impressed as it’s flaking off. I find braking ‘interesting’ in the wet, until the pads clear the water, when it’s quite decisive.
    I won’t be getting any more, I’ll probably try rigigda’s tungsten carbide coated versions. Plenty of opinion on these on the SJSC forum.

njee20
    Free Member

I find braking ‘interesting’ in the wet, until the pads clear the water, when it’s quite decisive.

I always found that with my Crossmax, braking on standard rims was significantly better in the wet.

Mavic ceramic is very smooth, other brands – notably Bontrager – was almost like sandpaper; very aggressive, that gave much better brake performance.

Stranger
    Free Member

I had one winter out of trad Mavic Open Pros.
    Replaced with ceramic. These lasted four years – replaced them when they completely stopped braking in the wet.
    So definitely better value. Plus the cost comparison should include the wheelbuild cost, so it’s more like £60 to £100.

billyboy
    Free Member

I had some ceramic Mavic mtb rims. Bloody waste of money. Lasted as long as a normal rim and weren’t as good.

FuzzyWuzzy

One winter out of standard Open Pros?? Either you’re doing 1000’s of miles or you’re dragging your brakes with gritty pads.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Im after some mavic cermaic open pro’s, defo sound a good idea as Askium’s etc as a winter road bike training wheel lasts only one winter.

fuzzywuzzy 1000’s of miles, yes. 10-16 hrs per week minimum from November to February = around 250 miles a week training, 1000 mile a month + Also a week in Mallorca/Lanzarote or where every for a holiday in February that week you will do 500 miles.

Money well spent, defo. Not sure about the time spent on the bike though 😳

clubber
    Free Member

Plus the cost comparison should include the wheelbuild cost

No it shouldn’t – or at least, not if you’re not a complete mechanical numpty and can build your own wheels 🙂

njee – suggestions for alternatives to the open pro?

One winter out of standard Open Pros?? Either you’re doing 1000’s of miles or you’re dragging your brakes with gritty pads.

My thoughts too – I got way more than that. How do you define that they’re worn out?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve worn through road rims in 1-2 years, combined commuting and training in crappy weather, you southern softies may not understand 😀

I use discs now 😎

And 28H will save a whole 28gm in spokes per wheel over 32H!

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, fair point, al – my butler always held an umbrella over me from the car while I was riding in the rain…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well IME the folk that query how quickly a road rim wears out are from down south.

clubber
    Free Member

We’re just not namby-pamby on-the-brakes-all-the-time type riders 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yup you’re just namby pamby southerners 😡

clubber
    Free Member

And proud of it.

Is that my pink bike over there? Thanks, I’ll be heading out for a second. Tell the butler to warm up the Jag.

ourmaninthenorth

Yep, I’ve been through a set of Open Pros in a winter, though their death was hastened by touring in Belgium in November. I tend to ride around 250 miles a week through winter.

This happened as I was getting ready to go out on a springtime club run. It was *quite* loud.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Heh. Done that during an off road ride once.

clubber
    Free Member

I did that when living in a shoebox in London, in the tiny corridor. My ears were ringing for at least a couple of hours…

clubber
    Free Member

PS check your email, al.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Mavic Open Pro CERAMIC rims’ is closed to new replies.