Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Mavic 717 + 2.35" High Roller = death?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Will a 2.35″ High Roller (and a 2.25″ Crossmark out back) on Mavic 717s result in death as they roll off the rim at the first corner or should I just be getting some more suitable tyres for my new build rather than using whatevers in the cellar?

Dave

disco_stu
    Free Member

I run 2.35 Fat Alberts on my 717 front tyre and they’ve not rolled off the rim after a couple of years of usage.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Never had a big tyre roll off a narrow rim, even with my monkey weight swinging about the bike.

GW
    Free Member

No. (well, not if you remember to put a tube and air in them anyway) They’ll just be a little rounder profile

mtbtomo
    Free Member

No, 2.35 High rollers aren’t that wide or deep for 2.35. I’ve run them on 717’s and now on Stans Olympics. Similar widths and no problems with either.

trailmonkey

this combination has been trailmonkey tested and approved.

you will live

glenh
    Free Member

2.35″ high roller = 2.1″ 🙂

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I rolled a 2.25 Racing Ralph off a 717 once on the rear. That was with 30psi, so not under-inflated for my 11 stone. After that I changed the rim for a Salsa Delgado. Loads wider, hardly any heavier and tough as something very tough.

PJM1974
    Free Member

You shouldn’t do. I’ve run 2.25″ tyres quite happily on 717s before and the 2.35 HRs come up quite narrow. As others have said, the profile will be a little rounder, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Enjoy!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Death. Fo’ sure. 😉

ahwiles
    Free Member

(checks pulse)

apparently it’s ok.

spacehopper

no death.. 🙂

I run 2.35 highrollers on 717’s at 30 PSI with no problems at all 🙂

rocketman
    Free Member

2.35 HRs are most excellent on EX521s

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Cheers all. I’ll do that then.

Will report back if I die.

Taff
    Free Member

2.25 is fine but feels wierd, 2.5 will roll off!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2.35 HR on my rear DT 4.2.

Feel’s very wierd, but hasn’t rolled off yet, maxxis come up quite small and I was running it quite hard to keep it rolling quick as it was a similar “what happend to be next to me while building the bike” tyre choice.

Paceman
    Free Member

They’ll be fine, don’t worry.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

mine have been fine for ages apart from te time i did a trailside punture repair and forgot to ensure the bead was properly seated all the way round. this led to the bead popping out of the rim on a hairy old descent, less than ideal. operator error though, it’s a nice setup to ride.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Mavic 717 + 2.35" High Roller = death?’ is closed to new replies.