Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Marks On Fork Stanchions What do you recon?
  • singlespeedstu

Just unpacked a brand new revelation fork and found these marks on the stanchions. 😕

Send em back or will it polish up in use?

2012_0124forkmarks0008 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

2012_0124forkmarks0006 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

cynic-al
    Free Member

My mark: 10/10!

I’m not sure I CBA returning them, can you feel an indentation?

singlespeedstu

No. I can’t feel it. It’s on both legs BTW
    Didn’t notice until i put a bit more air in. Looks like it’s where the seals were sat in storage.
    I’m 50/50 on if it’ll polish up after a few rides and cause no problems or wear every quickly. 😕

Junkyard
    Free Member

HORA to the forum

sofaking
    Free Member

have you tried cleaning it off with a file ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Worth speaking to the importers IMO, if you just ride them and a problem arises ar least you are then covered.

singlespeedstu

The email has already been sent to the shop they came from.
    Just waiting on a reply.

jonba
    Free Member

send those photos to the people you bought them off. I’d send em back personally.

Ringo
    Free Member

Are they 29ers Stu, personally if it was me theyd be straight back, they should be perfect out the box

argoose
    Free Member

send them back, no more worries on if it’ll polish/file (lol) off

singlespeedstu

*Put’s file away* 😆

Just had a reply saying to return them.

MarkyG82

Looks like some of th sealant they use when installing the seals. As you suspect its from being sat in storage. If they had been on show with a bounce every now and then it probably wouldn’t have happened.

Ditto what others have said re sending them back. Don’t want it to cause issues requiring a full strip at the factory. Better off getting the shop to get a replacement on warranty and let the importers worry about them.

Edit: Should learn to type faster 🙂

Dont let them fob you off without replacing at least the uppers.

sofaking
    Free Member

*Put’s file away*

🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

good they’re getting sorted. annoying extra delay in getting them fitted. ask for a nice sweetener to make up for your setback. 🙂

Del

worth a quick wipe with some IPA?

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

It would be criminal to waste good beer on those forks.

ssjeff
    Free Member

Why don’t you take them to the Quantocks where they will be the least of your worries.

singlespeedstu

ssjeff – Member

Why don’t you take them to the Quantocks

They’re only 140 travel.
    I hear you need at least 160 for the Q’s.

Ringo
    Free Member

you putting them on the yelli Stu? Would love a set myself to play on

Northwind

It’s nothing to worry about but I’d still return them anyway since they’re new (my Revs have the exact same thing, because they’d been stored at 140mm then wound out to 150mm, the tide mark stayed. It doesn’t affect the fork and I’m certainly not going to try and scrape it off)

singlespeedstu

Ringo yes mate.
    When the new one arrives.

my Revs have the exact same thing, because they’d been stored at 140mm then wound out to 150mm, the tide mark stayed. It doesn’t affect the fork

It might affect the price if you ever want to sell them though. 😐
    Any reason you didn’t send yours back?
    I’m not in a massive rush to fit mine so may as well get them swapped.

newbey
    Free Member

worth a quick wipe with some IPA?

Are we talking a run of the mill IPA like Deuchars or Greene King? Or for these forks are we looking a little more upmarket, maybe a Kernel Black IPA or a Mikkeller Single hop IPA?

Oooh, what hops for fork stanchions?

/Sorry, I have a one tracked mind.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Send them to me and I’ll ‘inspect’ then for you….

sofaking
    Free Member

where did you get them from in the end stu. i might need some forks if the frame ever arrives

Ringo
    Free Member

what frame you gone for sofa? Only place ive seen those forks they have a silly price tag 😥

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

RS Rev’s? Bit mainstream no?

Matt24k
    Free Member

My Revelation Race u turn 150 have the same tide mark on them. I ran them at 140 for the first 10 months and didn’t really notice it until I wound them out to 150.
    They are about to go back to Fishers as the rebound adjuster has seized and they are sucking down whilst riding. I’ve got a whole 4 days left on the one year warranty so fingers crossed.

Northwind

singlespeedstu – Member

It might affect the price if you ever want to sell them though.
    Any reason you didn’t send yours back?

Mine are worth about 50p anyway, they’ve not had an easy life… I didn’t get them new, though, would have returned them if I had as new, expensive kit ought to be perfect IMO.

Rorschach
    Free Member

7 weeks till mine arrive :0/ Apparently it doesn’t matter who you know! Still damn sight cheaper than Fox 34’s.Looked at White Bros loops but not so sure of the IMV damping.

singlespeedstu

where did you get them from in the end stu.

They’re from bikecomponents.de.

ChunkyMTB – Member

RS Rev’s? Bit mainstream no?

?

Rorschach – Member

7 weeks till mine arrive

That’s why i ordered from where I did. BTW Did you order a Yelli too?

hugor
    Free Member

I’m very interested to hear what frame the 140mm 29er forks are going on.
    Sounds like a great bike.

Rorschach
    Free Member

8 weeks from fishers aswell.Speaking to Mr Themonger tomorrow (finally worked out the finances-not eating again this year)….now what colour?
    I’ll be dropping mine to 120mm initially and see how they go.
    Hugor…Canfield Yelli Screamy.

wl
    Free Member

Ayup Stu – good luck with the forks, whatever you decide. I’d probably tell the shop and see what they say, just to cover yourself. Are you in Verbier this summer? I’m planning to be there with the two Marks and another mate – probably w/c 25 Aug, plus a few days before or after. Be good to see you if you’re around.

singlespeedstu

The yelli handles very well with a 120 on.
    I’m hoping it handles even betterer with 140 on. If not i’ll try them at 130.

As for colour it’s got to be black or silver or orange or raw.
    As long as it’s not purpoil it’ll be fine. 😆

singlespeedstu

Howdo WL.

Not sure what we’re doing yet. Had a few work problems so been unable to commit to much yet. 😐
    It would be good to catch up again though. Even if it’s closer to home.

wl
    Free Member

No worries, Stu – hope everything works out and you make it overseas. And yes, we could always sort something over here if Verbier’s out.

tang
    Free Member

I had the similar on some reba teams from the states a couple of years back. Appeared to be more of a ring but def from sitting in the seals i reckon. Anyways could not be bothered sending them back to the US(via friend/duty blah blah). Never was a problem and it def faded with use. If they take them back should be not such a hassle as its Germany.

singlespeedstu

Cheer Will.
    We’ll sort something one way or the other.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Marks On Fork Stanchions What do you recon?’ is closed to new replies.