Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Margam Woods
  • thenorthernsmoothie
    Free Member

Hi newbie on here.

I already put a post on the other forum by accident. Just wondering if anyone could give me a heads up about riding in the woods at Margam.
    I’ve been up there a few times but haven’t found that much up there yet!

Cheers in advance

Ambrose

Have an ask over on MTB-Wales.com, loads of useful people and advice available there.

I’m in Ammanford, GCG. Where are you?

thenorthernsmoothie
    Free Member

I live in Porthcawl so its only a short ride over to Margam for me and then up in to the woods.

Thanks

shands
    Free Member

It all depends on your fitness level and what your after. If your after mostly fire road there’s loads to explore up there and if you keep going it will bring you out in Old Llan, Maesteg or Goytre depending which direction you go in.
    There some nice rocky fast descents around by the blue pool. Have a look at Google earth to get your bearings.
    Have you tried the Afan/Glyncorrwg centers yet?

thenorthernsmoothie
    Free Member

Cheers Shands,

My fitness isn’t up to much at the moment but i’m working on it 🙂 . I’ve been along some of the fireroad, mainly up Cwm Phillip and found some descents through the woods. I’ve been advised about a new way in, in another forum so I’m going to give that a go tomorrow.
    I don’t have a car so only been over to Afan once or twice.

shands
    Free Member

I ride the forestry around there from the Maesteg side. Usually ride the on the road upto Old Llan and over to the point to point. Into the forestry on the top and across to sheep sh#t corner(you’ll know it if you find it) then you can go down a nice fast old farmers road and it brings you on top of Margam mountain. Another one I used to do when I lived in Kenfig Hill was on the road, carry on past Penybryn. Turn left(the only way)by the open cast and there is a forestry road on your left hand side just past the farm. If you go right there used to be a nice climb up that brought you out ontop of margam mountain. The turning on google is at 51°32’50.55″N & 3°39’3.70″W

thenorthernsmoothie
    Free Member

Cheers for the heads up. I went in via Penybryn today but I’ll be going in the way you suggest next time when I’ve got a bit more time.

Just had a good 3 hour (door to door) ride and found some new stuff.

Much Appreciated

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Margam Woods’ is closed to new replies.