Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Margam Woods
  • thenorthernsmoothie
    Free Member

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help?
    I live in Porthcawl and have been up to the woods at Margam a couple of times on my bike but the place is like a rabbit warren.
    Can anyone suggest any routes? Starting from the duck pond?

Cheers

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Hi
    Get a good os map and explore
    I’ve had a good look up there and there is alot of fireroad and several motocross trails up there – some rideable others not

What sort of riding are you looking for – it’s mainly xc up there, nothing too technical.

thenorthernsmoothie
    Free Member

I’ve got a XC hardtail, I was up there yesterday and followed the main fireroad up and found some trails to come down. Is it just a case of explore and find what you can?
    Cheers

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

yeah

depending on fitness you can ride straight accross margam mountain and link up with the penhydd trail at afan

that makes a good ride

I tend to chuck the bike in the car and drive to afan/ glyncorrwg tbh.

You could also try asking on mtbwales.com for routes

thenorthernsmoothie
    Free Member

I’m without a car so i’ll see what I can find up Margam. I do pop over to Afan now and again. I’ll give mtbwales a check too.
    Cheers, much appreciated!

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

well i live in porthcawl also and am more than happy to show you round sometime- unfit due to 2 months off bike after crash!

there is no riding whatsoever in porthcawl, the best ways up to margam mountain are via penybryn and craigyraber woods

thenorthernsmoothie
    Free Member

Nice one thanks for that, I’m heading back up there tomorrow so i’ll have another look round. Having a look at the OS now for routes through from Penybryn and Caigyraber.
    I’m pretty unfit myself as I’ve only recently got round to rebuilding my bike so any time you want to go for a ride if I’m free I’m up for it.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

ok penybryn way up

turn left past old converted chapel and follw fireroad past troedyrhiw farm

this takes you directly to the top of margam mountain

or you can go up the fireroad at craigyaber… after a few hundred yards cross bridge on left and follow track aup left side of valley- more interesting imo head up towards top cross road and you can also follow fireroad to top of margam mount.

just explore from here you can easily drop back down to margam park.

thenorthernsmoothie
    Free Member

Thanks

Think I’ll give the Penybryn entrance a try tomorrow.

Much appreciated

thenorthernsmoothie
    Free Member

Good shout,

Entered the woods via Penybryn and its a much a nicer introduction to your ride than going up Cwm Phillip. Just had a good 3 hours (door to door) and found a sweet downhill.

Thanks for the heads up, i’ll try the Craigyraber entrance the next time I go up.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

when you out next i might join you?

I would duplicate this on mtbwales but it seems a bit pointless

thenorthernsmoothie
    Free Member

when you out next i might join you?

I work down in Trecco and don’t find out what my shifts are till tonight. Definately want to head up there again in the next week so i’ll give you a shout and see if we can get something sorted. Are there any days you can’t do?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Margam Woods’ is closed to new replies.