Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Man Bags
  • Cletus

Given the increasing amount of crap (wallet, Kindle, phones, drink bottle, magazines etc.) that I carry about I am thinking about getting a man bag.

Questions are:

1. Are they camp?
    2. What do people recommend?

Thinking of something from Crumpler as I have one of their laptop rucksacks and it has been ace.

Thinking about this

http://www.crumpler.co.uk/?product=Luke_Warm&page=details&product_line=1043

flamejob
    Free Member

I have been thinking the same, mainly spurred on by the iPad, but I find most are too thick.
    This one is the closest in functionality that I have seen, but looks a bit like a mini laptop bag.

mieszko
    Free Member

http://www.orangeaccessories.co.uk/broadband/pc_cases_and_covers/manhattan_portage.html?offset=12

They still seem to have some models left. Pretty good prices and plain looks. Those bags don’t have a stabiliser strap so not perfect to cycle with but for general use should be good.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Yes they are camp

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I used to carry my stuff in a plastic bag, people took the piss. I brought a satchel type back to carry my stuff, people said man bag and took the piss. Book, keys, wallet, toothbrush (see OCD thread) sketch pad and a few pencils just don’t fit in pockets.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

They are brilliant but you will get some stick as folks call them man bags.Being a cyclist you can use timbuk2,patagonia or similar but beware I now have 3 for some gay reason ? matching shoes next ? Oh dear me…..

Onzadog
    Free Member

Camp as a row of pink tents.

psling
    Free Member

I’ve been using shoulder bags ‘man bags’ since the 70s; they may be camp but they’re bl00dy useful 8) Oldest one is a Jordanian Army issue one I picked up in Jordan. I also have a ‘poacher’s bag’ pretty much exactly the same as the bag used by Michael Palin on his travels which used to pi55 me off when people would say “Oh, you got the idea from Michael Palin then” 👿

flamejob
    Free Member

So when does a messenger bag become a manbag?

I have 6 of descending sizes from the XL Timbuk2 to the sub A4 one.

I reckon it’s anything smaller than A4 in portrait. And that is exactly what I am looking for 🙂

I have matching bikes, clothing and even tools; does that make me gay? 😉

stumpynya12
    Free Member

8)messenger/man bag/hand bag…..Its whats inside that defines gay or not gay.

tall_martin

I have a crumpler laptop messenger bag that I use for the above. Get one thats massive- much less girly

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I have matching bikes, clothing and even tools; does that make me gay?

Nope, just in the eyes of those who envy you.

I love messenger bags or man bags…whatever they’re called. If worn as a fashion accessory, then they’re questionable. But if you actually have a shitload of stuff to carry, then they make sense. Rucksacks are too nerdy.

mamadirt
    Free Member

So when does a messenger bag become a manbag?

Here’s your answer . . . 😉

I have matching bikes, clothing and even tools;

When it becomes a fashion accessory innit.

I have no idea what I’m doing on the manbag thread anyway – I don’t even have a decent handbag 😕

trailmonkey

are you good with colours ? a good listener perhaps ? do you like barbara streisand or bake a delicate quiche ?

if yes to more than two of the above then a man bag is the perfect accessory for you.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Manhattan Portage expandable messenger (large) containing:

Macbook, iPod, Lonely Planet book, The Times, magazine, banana, cereal bar, orange juice, diary, mobile, work ID card, swiss army knife and a Finisterre Etobicoke insulated jacket.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Pink Timbuk2 bag with olive central strip and matching mb phone case today i think ? the cycle ride to the pie shop later today should be interesting to say the least 😯

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wasn’t it just metrosexuals longing for the practicality of what they saw cycle commuters wearing?

Edric64
    Free Member

cant see why a rucksack is nerdy it’s more practical than a shoulder bag and doesn’t get in the way when worn

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

cant see why a rucksack is nerdy

Congratulations. You’ll never be a metrosexual. 🙂

djc1245
    Free Member

I’ve got pockets

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Stuffed pockets.

Even nerdier 🙂

nickc

I have matching bikes, clothing and even tools; does that make me gay?

No, liking cock if you’re a fella and tits and fannies if you’re a girl does though

HTH

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Generally a messenger bag would sit across your back. Strap across chest with a stability strap too. Good for riding. Doesn’t sit well on side of body.

Man bag sits on side/hip. Only has a shoulder strap. More casual less functional (if doing activity. Still works to carry stuff)

julianwilson
    Free Member

I’ve had an A4 sized bag with single shoulder strap (so useless on bike but…) for 12 years or so. It has a three pen slots and a mobile phone pocket which fits a 90’s mobile phone in 8)

I suppose it’s a man bag (size large) but it’s more of a ‘dad bag’ these days: generally has just my sunglasses in it, and drinks/snacks/spare pants/trousers/hats/mittens etc etc etc for the children in it.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

nickc – an authoritative defintion there! 😆

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Get one thats massive- much less girly

Apart from the current handbag trend amongst women.

Might be exposing some meterosexual tendancies but if you have to carry a bad, make it a decent leather satchel.

binners

I have a selection of man bags. I’m not proud of it. But then I spent my recent years working in and area of Manchester that refers to itself, without irony, as the ‘Northern Quarter’. It has a bike shop that deals specifically in fixie’s. Need we say more.

Since I no longer work there its one of the many affectations I have dropped. Its a good job I’m bald. I’d have ended up with an asymetric haircut. Jesus. I don’t miss it

You can have my man bags if you like. I’ve got a really nice French Connection leather one I have used, I think, once.

Howies courier bag all the way nowadays. Get one of those instead. They’re ace! Seriously – the best bag in the world!!!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

….. leather FC one you say…

IGM(matching)C

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Leather ****, nice. What colour? I’m after a nice tan one to match my shoes and belt.

Frankers
    Free Member

Northface small messenger back doesn’t look camp

HERE

binners

Its a black one I’m afraid. To match my soul

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ooh! Can I have it please Binners?

In fact I need it, for when going down to Brick Lane to check out a new art installation and stuff. Will need something to bung my iPhone in while I hold my frappamoccachino (need the other hand to gesticulate in a poncy manner).

Thanks.

I have no idea what I’m doing on the manbag thread anyway – I don’t even have a decent handbag

It’s true. She only has 2 pairs of shoes, the poor love. 🙁

Spongebob
    Free Member

If you need to carry a laptop/tablet/netbook to and from work or whatever, then you need an appropriate bag, but carrying a bag of any kind each and every time you go out is totally gay!

Rubber_Buccaneer

cant see why a rucksack is nerdy it’s more practical than a shoulder bag and doesn’t get in the way when worn

No, a shoulder bag is much more practical when you just want to quickly grab your mirror & lippy. You’d have to take a rucksack off, too much faff darling!

flamejob
    Free Member

I definitely need a manbag, house keys, car keys (with stupid, huge garage opener), phone, wallet, change.

That is waaay too much for my ankle length skinny jeans.

…think I might get one of the sewing shops in town to make me one.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’ve got a tesco carrier bag. You can fit loads of stuff in that.

alexonabike

what’s wrong with a small rucksack? Like a hydration system without the bladder.

Stoner
    Free Member

for ultimate man-bag-chic you can get one made out of recycled pinsripe suits off a stall in Covent Garden Market 😉

I got a poachers bag for a mate for his work and he says it’s been brilliant for him.

I use one of these (clicky piccy linky)

Divagirl
    Free Member

bit of inspiration from Jack Bauer <swoon>

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I use one of these (clicky piccy linky)

Why Stoner, you trendy metrosexual devil you. Giviss a kiss wonchya? 😉

I actually divested myself of all manbags a few months ago. But mrs deadly’s got herself a North Face jobbie since she went all cyclecommutery and now I want one again.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Man Bags’ is closed to new replies.