Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Malverns conditions?
  • camster
    Free Member

Are the main night ride routes icy or rideable?

I suspect some of the main paths will be a bit treacherous – anyone been up there in the last week?

cheers

mboy
    Free Member

It's icy as **** in Worcester…

I don't need to go up the Malverns to tell you riding up there currently is likely to end in unpleasantness of some kind, bearing in mind that the snow we had before Christmas had all melted in Worcester on Christmas Day, and there was still plenty of snow and ice (in some interesting places!) up the Malverns 4 days later…

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I went walking up there yesterday – fair play to the guy we saw on a hardtail in shorts!

On the E side it is very icy, and the wind chill at the top was obscene. Some of the tarmac paths were very slippery – so go for it 🙂

keyses2

Like this a couple of days ago 🙂

jimw
    Free Member

Was up there this morning. Where people have tramped down on the paths, not too bad but hard work as it is still powdery and the front occasionally digs in slowing to almost a stop. Where fewer people have walked even harder work cycling through 6-8" of soft snow- takes some getting used to pedalling quite hard to go downhill. Put it this way, we did about 7 miles in two hours and were knackered at the end

camster
    Free Member

cheers all,

Was up there between Xmas & New Year and was just like Jimw mentioned actually having to pedal through powdery snow downhill. Good fun but exhausting!

The paths were ok but before they became hardpack. If they are anything like the roads by me in Worcester, things could be a bit dicey!

k, great pics, where was the top one taken? looks a bit like Midsomer hill?

mboy
    Free Member

Where are you in Worcester, and where and when do you ride normally?

camster
    Free Member

In Norton. Normally night rides on the hills in the week to fit in with wife and kids!

ps44
    Free Member

jimw….Teos ??

keyses2

top one is Midsummer Hill and bottom one is along the side of British Camp

mboy
    Free Member

In Norton. Normally night rides on the hills in the week to fit in with wife and kids!

Gotcha

I'm other side of Worcester, just off the Ombersley Road actually. Trying to possibly find more locals up for more regular evening rides soon to be fair, so if you fancy it, drop me an email (in profile)… Not quite sure what the plan might be yet, particularly as everywhere is covered in snow and ice at the mo, but surely there's gotta be something in a regular evening ride in/around/just outside Worcester perhaps?

aracer
    Free Member

Met Paul from BoT up there today – I was on skis so have no personal experience of what it's like for biking.

He reckoned it was now rideable in places where it had packed down, and not that bad for a ride – something I'd tend to agree with from what I've seen skiing. It's very different to what it was.

Any guesses where that piccy (frame grab from head cam video) is?

camster
    Free Member

MBoy, were you thinking off road, other than the Malverns and the Wyre, I'm not sure what other mtb options exist (oh and Bredon)?

TBH, I'm struggling to even get a weekly night ride in as work and kids etc are taking over!

One of my neighbours knows the Wyre quite well so if we get a ride organised I'm sure he'll be up for some guiding.

mboy
    Free Member

Camster, what's your email address? Mine is mbonnesATgmailDOTcom

Drop me an email (or pop your addy up here) and I'll discuss with you what I'm thinking…

grtdkad

Managed to fit 2 rides in over the weekend. Pretty much as described as at Sunday night…we were pretty knackered after regular 9-mile route. Very draggy on some of the lesser used paths south of The Wyche, other areas pretty good and fast but affected by walkers tracks. Mega-strong and cold westerleys when you're high up.
    Intend putting some flats back on just to help on some of the post-stall hill starts! Bstrds!

jimster
    Free Member

Any guesses where that piccy (frame grab from head cam video) is?

At the split / stone circle on Beacon Drive where you either drop to West Malvern, Earnslaw Quarry, ride the ridge to Wyche, do the zig-zags or carry on up the Beacon?

aracer
    Free Member

Yep – aka Goldmine.

Given reports of 3" of new snow yesterday from somebody I know who lives high up the hill (where it hasn't thawed at all) I should imagine riding conditions are rather more difficult again. Not to mention that forecasts suggest we could get up to another 6" tonight (very dependent on the weather system reaching that far NE – from my reading it's possible we could get none).

Was going to suggest the snow will go after Saturday – forecast heavy rain. But then realised that with a Malvern max temperature of +3 that will also be falling as snow higher up!

aracer
    Free Member

Snow now falling – could be a lot of new stuff by the morning!

jimw
    Free Member

Additional 3-4", still falling . Roads dreadful and all local trains cancelled so far this morning- so unless you are local, not a great day for it!

( PS44, sorry didn't understand your earlier post!)

aracer
    Free Member

Have been told not to set out for work (in Malvern) by car.

Stoner
    Free Member

yep – its looking bad out the window at the moment. hang on…

Stoner
    Free Member

4WD only.

nickc

Stoner, staring out of the window? work shy sciver… 🙂

DaveE

Have to go to vets at Link later.
    What are my chances 😕

aracer
    Free Member

Link bottom? Coming from where? Should be surprised if roads were totally impassable, but I'd allow at least 5 times as long as normal because of all the idiots with "essential journeys" out on the roads. If our work's told us not to go in by car it must be bad.

Stoner
    Free Member

I should be down the barn but my sodding clients need something doing this morning so Ive missed my lift to the site with my mate in his 4×4 grrrrrrr.

Will probably walk most of the way there and get a pick up later.

Link may be carnage

jimster
    Free Member

Link's not too bad, just watch out for the purple rinse brigade. Avoid Spring Lane, as usual the Council haven't gritted around here and it just gets packed down. Which is really ironic considering they use it as a cut through.

DaveE

Only coming from J7 so hope not to bad.
    May try and get out on bike before.
    8)

keyses2

not worth trying to get to back on track today then ?

Stoner
    Free Member

no idea if Pauls opened the shop, I havent ventured that far down the road.

Give him a call.

You can walk or ride up probably from the Worcester road if you park down there.

keyses2

No answer, think I'll leave it till the end of the week.

Alex

Still snowing. Been to the local woods. brrrrr. Quite deep in there compared to Saturday. Malverns would be a not very nice push I think 😉

Just come down from Hollybush, lot of fresh snow over ruts, not a lot of fun. Gave up half way up the land rover track. Pub is calling me, & it is still snowing very fine snow.

aracer
    Free Member

Which local woods, Alex? Probably very good skiing – just fed up that I'm down with yet another bug.

bobbyspangles

out riding there last night.
    good conditions up the zig zags and to mid way point towards beacon but found big, un rideable drifts from there. the drop back to car was ace and well worth the slog!

bobbyspangles

bobbyspangles

bobbyspangles

haha-sorry if its slow, my first time posting pictures and i think i got a bit carried away!

Alex

Fair play riding up there BS! I really can't be ar$ed to drive to Hollybush.

@aracer – Dymock Woods. Not superb riding in there but it's 20 mins ride from my house and I've found some good stuff and am making some more. Not really meant to ride off the main tracks but the woods are big and pretty deserted and all I'm doing is "buffing" some of the animal tracks.

Haugh Woods are better, loads in there and West Wood but too far for me to ride to really.

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Friend took some shots of snowboarders on the Malverns last week! Bet its good up there today, I was told not to drive to Malvern to work today as too hazardous.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Malverns conditions?’ is closed to new replies.