Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Make Bradford British – Channel 4 now
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

This could be interesting…

Pieface

Don’t understand the question… manogamy?

Junkyard
    Free Member

just checked the map and apparently that there Yorkshire is indeed in britain …job done

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Junkyard – would that it were not! 😛

IanMunro
    Free Member

I reckon it will be rubbish.
    Big Brother Bradford edition with people chosen who will be great on telly rather than randomly chosen example of society, lots of crying, shouting and cod philosophy on how we can all get along.
    I look forward to being proven completely wrong on this though 🙂

Pieface

Bradford looks quite nice / got a lot going on from the air

chewkw
    Free Member

Nice … the shop he went to buy ingredients was called “9-11”.

Integration … 🙄

muddydwarf
    Free Member

“I’m a liberal – i’ve read books about other cultures” 🙄

davidjones15
    Free Member

If you’re a d-head, you’re a d-head.
    Sums it all up really, doesn’t it? Could be this place.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Surely it should be 9-13?

chewkw
    Free Member

oliverd1981 – Member

Need to double check it again later on using iPlayer.

🙂

oxnop
    Free Member

I used to go to the gym with Rashid. He is a lovely lovely guy.

davidjones15
    Free Member

If Jens is an example of British born and bred, why do people want to be British?

Pieface

Around the dinner table the bigots attempted to justify their behaviour due to hate from the Asian community, however so far all the hate seems to be going in one direction.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Jens really didn’t do himself any favours did he? Next episode doesn’t bode well for him either.

The one thing that really struck me was that everyone -regardless of ethnicity or gender – had a Bradford accent, apart from the young Asian girl. She appeared to have a different accent to my mind, one made from a closed community maybe?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

The mixed-race landlady did seem to become aware of herself a little more, something we all could do with i reckon.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I mean seeing as it’s a 7-11 and it opens later. (although I gather they should really be called 7-23, which would make the Bradford one 9-01…)

Amazing the lengths they’ll go to not to write down the number 7…

totalshell

as a Bratfud native the strongest Yarkshire accents are in the asian community, many of the lads sound like they have just come down from a farm in the dales.
    interesting programme in so much as it seems fairly much like real people that i worked with/ for every day. An oversight is there are no young professionals or yoof.
    the real bigots have been shown to be the ”P*k* bashing” copper his words! and the tweed and pearls old duck from Ilkley ( though in her defence she fessed up to been impressed with the muslims guys strength of belief in his faith.) felt most sorry for the black / mixed race landlady and the black guy who were born and bred here, saw themselves as british and recieved nothing but abuse throughout thier lives from white anglo saxons.. made you think a bit.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Not seen the programme as yet, I saw the first minute of it last night and it was enough to put me off.

However, Bradford is segregated, has been for many years and I can’t see it changing any time soon.

In Bradford their are disntinctly white areas, distinctly asian areas, and you can literally point out where these areas start and finish. I’ve worked for a few companies over the years in Bradford where its been a mix of cultures and ethnic groups and every one gets on just fine, however for some reason or other outside of the work environment no mixing happens what so ever, all very sad really.

davidjones15
    Free Member

however for some reason or other outside of the work environment no mixing happens what so ever, all very sad really.

This is probably the key point. What do you think are the reasons for this?

edlong
    Free Member

Did the prog improve and get more interesting?

I started watching thinking it was a serious exploration of these issues and very rapidly it seemed obvious that it was indeed “Big Brother Bradford” so I stopped watching.

I did enjoy the opening gambit of showing how poorly all parts of the community performed on the “Britishness” citizenship test.

@davidjones I think one of the reasons is that the traditional out of work social setting for the “white” community has long been the pub, which has obvious difficulties if you’re a muslim?

davidjones15
    Free Member

OK, so that’s the muslims accounted for, what about other? Chinese? African?

stanfree
    Free Member

Mr T is looking good for his age , The old woman got on my tits a bit .

joeegg
    Free Member

The show won’t alter a thing when it comes to peoples attitudes to each other in Bradford.
    Ask white people about the demise of Bradford and they’ll tell point the finger of blame.Asians.Ask them who controls the drugs,prostitution illegal immigration and you’ll get the same reply.
    Theres a thing called “white flight”.One Asisan moves into the street and the the first thing on the neighbours mind is should we move.
    If you talk about inequality you’ll find its now the white people who feel discriminated against and becoming ever increasingly in the minority.They feel the only solution is to leave the area.
    I worked for many years with a mixture of white,asian and black people and the most tension and trouble was between Pakistanis and Indians.
    The old woman,an ex magistrate i think,lives in Ilkley,so has no idea about the situation in Bradford.
    I have returned to see family and friends over the past 12 years and their attitudes have hardened.One brother lives in an all white area and the other moved away to Skipton.My father lives on the edge of an Asian area close to a school of 95% Asian pupils.
    If you thought the ex coppers language was colourful you should here my dad.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I don’t think Bradford is any worse for integration than any other city in Britain to be honest, there is a problem everywhere, but that is always going to happen when people are from different backgrounds.

It sounds as though the programme highlighted the massive inequality between the middle classes who live in Ilkley, and those who live in poorer areas, rather than the lack of integration within the city itself.

I reckon most people get along rather well most of the time, even if their beliefs do differ. Again, from my own experience. Bradford is a great place, a real melting pot of cultures – as totalshell says;

the strongest Yarkshire accents are in the asian community

The biggest problem I see in most inner cities and indeed Bradford, are the white anglo saxon kids with no morals, that have been let down by the last generation. The chip on the shoulder that many ‘British’ people seem to have needs to be stamped out.

binners

I’d echo exactly what joeegg said

Bradford seemed typical of a lot of northern towns. My commute home on the bike takes me through Oldham and Rochdale. They’re the same. The whites live in the more affluent surrounding areas. The Asians live in what are effectively ghettos near the centre. The communities are completely separate. There’s zero integration, and it seems, even less desire for it.

And as Joe said, if anyone was shocked by the ex coppers language, you really wouldn’t want to listen in on your average pub conversations in some of these areas. Politically Correct, Guardian-approved it most certainly isn’t

binners

Incidentally, has anyone done the citizenship test? I’ve just failed it with 42%. I’d be on my way to the colonies

Give it a go

see if you is proper English

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Another + 1 what Joe said.

These are 3 separate views I have recently heard from Bradford residents.

The first was in a recent stay in hospital when one of the cleaners was cleaning the room. Basically the cleaner went along the lines of. “English people are work shy, Asians have no respect for any one else”

The second was from a Taxi driver. “The Polish are coming over taking our jobs, living in our neighbourhood, they should go back to where they came from”

The third a nurse. “Asian people live like pigs, and have no respect for their community, leaving rubbish on the streets and not maintaining their community”

Not one of the comments came from what white english people.

“I reckon most people get along rather well most of the time”

I disagree with that completely. I think its more ‘People tolerate each other most of the time’

failedengineer

50%. oops.

Junkyard
    Free Member

54 % I am also off home with binners
    I would argue the bank holidays one is a trick question as even the govt website does not differentiate between public and bank holidays which i knew totalled 8
    it does say
    There are different bank and public holidays in different parts of the UK. There are currently six permanent bank holidays [it does not say which these are and list them all together] in England and Wales and an additional one in 2012. Christmas Day and Good Friday are public holidays.
    so you cannot ask for all the UK and the answer of 4 would seem to be wrong anyway
    This is the sort of thing that made this county great 😀

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Timeoffandholidays/DG_073741

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Incidentally, has anyone done the citizenship test? I’ve just failed it with 42%. I’d be on my way to the colonies

Give it a go

see if you is proper English

Well, failing to know the difference between British and English should have failed you immediately! 🙂

ocrider

50% here. Just as well that I haven’t lived in the UK for over decade I’m clearly undeserving. What’s your excuse? 😆

I’m just glad that Jens’ “I’m the salt of the earth. Look, I can even say things that I shouldn’t without harming your sensibilities because it’s how I am” routine didn’t go down a storm. Tw*t.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I disagree with that completely. I think its more ‘People tolerate each other most of the time’

Same thing could be said about this forum then 😆 It’s one and the same, human nature and all that.

What is the first thing that someone does when they make a racist remark? Look over their shoulder.

People rarely air their bigoted views in front of the people they are having a go at.

martinhutch

46%

It really is a pathetic test. You shouldn’t be assessing someone on their ability to guess meaningless statistics and who the f*cking Hugenots were.

Junkyard – apparently we should know the difference between bank holidays and public holidays. I got that one wrong too.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I got 100%, so all you lot should go back to where you came from! 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

67%

Stupid questionaire tho

Cougar

It really is a pathetic test. You shouldn’t be assessing someone on their ability to guess meaningless statistics and who the f*cking Hugenots were.

+1.

I got 29%. I actually knew three answers, the rest were either educated or wild guesses. Am I any less British for knowing whether the Scottish populace accounts for 11% or 13% of the UK total?

A better test of ‘Britishness’ would be more akin to a pub quiz. Maybe we should write our own? There’s a thread in that, I think.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Aye cougar we could do a MTB/STW specific one
    You are off to llandegla on a 6 ” FS and it has been slightly damp of late …what tyre etc

peaks or dales

{ bonus point there for saying it the PEAK district obviously]

ocrider

I knew the Hugenots answer only because of their history where I now live (hotbed of French protestant insurrection!) I wouldn’t have had a clue if I’d stayed in blighty.
    As for U classified films, how many years driving licences for the over 70’s last and the percentage related questions, they can sod right off.

I’m all for the pub-quiz style Britishness test. They should have a music round. Thats definately whats missing.

Cougar

The alternative test.

Aye cougar we could do a MTB/STW specific one

That’s a top idea; STW Citizenship, you have to pass before you can join. Off you go.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Make Bradford British – Channel 4 now’ is closed to new replies.