Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Macbook Pro or (normal) macbook
  • oxnop
    Free Member

I cant make my mind up. ❓

Has anyone gone from macbook to pro?

I can get the pro for £820 or the standard one for £770 – both same spec.

I know that the pro has a backlit keyboard and is made out of metal – is there anything else I need to be aware of?

tomzo
    Free Member

Thinner, lighter, sd card slot, firewire, slightly better screen (larger colour gamut).

But the macbook has a bigger harddrive, no?

oxnop
    Free Member

yep – just checked 250gb(standard) v's 160gb(pro)- doesnt make it any easier!

Another question – If im going to be traveling around with it, which would be the more robust?

tomzo
    Free Member

The metal one! Feels unbelieveably sturdy, i really hate using plastic laptops now, they feel like thy're going to snap every time i pick them up (although the white macbook is a tough cookie and deifantely one of the best plastic laptops out there by a long mile) Obviously put whichever laptop in a case though! And for £50 i reckon its worth the extra…the difference in the screen alone is pretty noticeable, and the added convenience of a sd card reader (being a photography student myself!) is extra handy. Plus its ever so more shiny and says 'pro' on the screen…

mrmo
    Free Member

I got a 13inch macbook pro because it looked nicer, i don't think that either one is more or less robust. One is plastic, and the 4 year old g4 ibook i have is physically fine, the other aluminium, which i guess might bend rather than break if you hit it hard enough.

Does the Macbook have the motion sensors on the hard drive, just incase you drop it?

Jamie
    Free Member

If the mbp has a matt screen then go got that one.

wozza70
    Free Member

Lots of rumors that MBPro is about to be tech refreshed [updated]. I would hold on if you can as it might be that they also upgrade the macbook as well. Timing may correspond with release of iPad in late March – Early April?

I would go MMPro as it is more sturdy. Many prefer the Macbook screen though.

vrapan
    Free Member

For £50 go for the Pro.

oxnop
    Free Member

Thanks for the input, the overall consensus is for the pro.

MrSmith
    Free Member

get the pro. i had a black macbook before. the aluminium case is much tougher and easier to clean, seems to use the fans a lot less which may be down to the thermal properties of the case.

vinnyeh

I paid £55 for a 500gb harddrive for mine, £32 for 4 gig of memory from Amazon. Took about 20 minutes to fit them- don't worry about lack of drive space in the spec, it's cheap and easy to upgrade.

porterclough
    Free Member

I went for the macbook, the new one seems like a bargain compared to the equivalent pro. I would assume a new pro model must be in the pipeline otherwise they're relying on people paying £100 extra just to have the metal body but a smaller hard drive…

oxnop
    Free Member

Thanks again for input – bought this last night –

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160407673974&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_6485wt_722

just hope I ain't been scammed!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Macbook Pro or (normal) macbook’ is closed to new replies.