Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Macbook Air
  • grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

Anyone on here got one, particularly the 128G model. Really like the speed of it but a tad concerned on the storage size & connectivity.

simon_g

No, but I work with a few people who do, and my Mrs will probably pick one up very soon.

What are your concerns? No, you don’t have storage space to carry 10000 albums and a decade of digital photos with you everywhere but do you really need to? Do you need to plug in more than two USB devices at once?

Hopefully we’ll see more Thunderbolt devices come through this year – I want a hub like this one Belkin showed off that lets me hook up one cable for a docking station type experience. Have your big monitor, keyboard, printer, external hard disks, etc plugged into that for at home, and just grab the laptop when you need to be elsewhere.

CountZero

Connectivity shouldn’t be any more of an issue than with any other wifi enabled device, I managed with an 80Gb HDD on my PowerBook for years, with an external drive, and you can get USB 1Tb portable external drives for £70-100 now, so that’s not an issue either, and there’s cloud based storage like Dropbox for transferring files around as well.
    Go for it, many, many people have them and love them.

handyman153
    Free Member

Ello..

I have got 2 Macbook Airs, 1 older style and 1 newer style.. Which screen size where you looking at?

They are great machines, the speed as you said is great. 128G is plenty of storage.
    I used to have alot of music, that would take up a vast majority of that space, but i use things like Spotify and ICloud for music/videos. So 128G of programs and word documents is an awful lot!

The only downside (not a particularly big problem) but they do tend to get a little hot, especially when using while plugged in.

I have got a Macbook Pro i use for work, which has pretty much the same feel when using. The only obvious benefit is the CD drive. Which does come in handy!

If your looking at getting one, i would definitely recommend the refurbished section on the Apple Store. Its not a massive saving, but its basically a new product in a blank box (Or at least mine was)

Cheers Josh.

zokes
    Free Member

I’ve had the 256GB i7 model with 4GB for about 6 months now. It does get a tad hot when working hard, which is slightly concerning, but battery life is very good when not doing intensive work. I use mine regularly on overnight trips and never need to charge it on your average FiFo trip. The only time I’ve come close to needing more storage has been whilst away on a long holiday when wanting to back up my back-ups of photos off an external disk onto the internal HDD when I’ve had to re-use the original memory card.

Never had an issue about connectivity – if you want it to be a desktop replacement, just use a USB hub…

amt27
    Free Member

OH’s nan had a battery blow up on hers and muggins here had to open it up to find out what happened, apple shop replaced it instantly

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Not got an Air but would second the refurb section on the Apple Store.

Picked up a 27″ iMac before Christmas for £300 off RRP.

Looks brand new in everyway and came the next day, 🙂

MM

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Sister in law has one and has been plagued by connectivity issues.

philstone

I’ve had MBA’s for around 4 years or so now, the first gen which I upgraded to a 128GB myself and the first 11″ 1.4 128, I also support 2 users both running MBA’s, i7, never had any connectivity problems, only problem I’ve had is with the original that had the screen hinge issue, apple fixed no fuss.

Great machines..

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

Many thanks for the input.
    Going to go for the 13″ 128G.
    Surprised to hear that they get hot. My current 17″ MBP get very hot when on charge but @ 4 1/2 year it’s time for a change.
    Had G3 & G4 powerbooks previously & used the refurbs before. The current beast was a refurb, to be which was replaced within 3 days of purchase due to screen failure. I will use refurb again

corroded
    Free Member

Am also very tempted by the Air – would suit me on most levels. However, I have Adobe CS5 on disc so not sure how I would load onto the Air…. any ideas?

zokes
    Free Member

Re: CS5 – either buy a cheap external DVD drive, or map a DVD drive from another computer over your home network. You might also be able to download a ‘trial’ and use your code from the disk to turn it in to a full volume. I think people have done this for LR3 without any issues.

corroded
    Free Member

Thanks Zokes. Not being technologically minded, an external DVD drive hadn’t occurred to me but sure I have one somewhere.

lorax

I’ve got the 11″ 256 i7. It is the best computer I have ever had by an order of magnitude – really fast, tiny, and light. Cost a fortune and worth every penny. Hard to comment on the capacity as I have no idea what you need it it for, but I use it for almost everything except my Aperture library, although I have also missed out some of the more obscure stuff from my music collection, and have only used 100GB. Sorry to hear that others have had connectivity issues, but apart from occasionally taking a while to recognise a new network (and it gets there soon enough) I’ve had no problems at all.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

13″ Air here. Lovely bit of kit, works extremely well, never had a problem with it at all

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Macbook Air’ is closed to new replies.