Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Mac Snow Leopard
  • jezdavies
    Free Member

Is it worth the upgrade? Very mixed reviews on line, although slightly better reviews with latest update.

Anyone with experience?

Cheers!

beamers

I upgraded my 2008 MacBook Pro from Leopard to Snow Leopard and it is noticeably faster.

jezdavies
    Free Member

Any issues since upgrading? I’ll be doing exactly the same as you

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m only on 10.6.0, cos I can’t be bothered updating it, and it’s fine. Very stable and reliable.

No significant visible differences over 10.5, but it’s more streamlined, so stuff like startup and shutdown are much quicker.

Leopard was the best OS ever created. Snow Leopard just refines it even more.

rs
    Free Member

it’ll save you about 5GB in space if i recall correctly so if your short of space it’ll help.

mattstreet

It is good, but other than the App Store, I wouldn’t say a it’s a great leap on from Leopard. Might be worth just waiting for Lion.

IA

As above, it’s mostly a lot of refinements, and backend technology upgrades. At some point apps will require it as a minimum as they’ll depend on the technologies on it. For some specific use cases, 64bit makes a big difference.

Given it’s <£30, it’s worth it.

App store is currently nothing to cry about missing, but it will be big. At the moment the main reason to get the app store is to get the individual iLife/iWork apps cheap (e.g. £9 for new iPhoto) or Aperture for £45, pixelmator for £19.

beamers

Any issues since upgrading? I’ll be doing exactly the same as you.

None with the OS as such, although I did need to get a new battery as my MBP kept on cutting out. Did a bit of online research and discovered a school of thought which says that SL is more sensitive to battery imperfections than L so a battery issue which was not a problem with L might be with SL.

Fortunately I took at the Apple Care Plan with my MBP so booked a slot at a Genius Bar, the dude ran some checks and gave me a new battery. I asked him about the battery sensitivity thing with SL. In my case it was due to a chemical fault in the battery which had caused it to swell. This resulted in the trackpad feeling a bit funny (the battery is right underneath it, and the MBP would cut out without warning after about 20 mins use.

All sorted now though, and at zero cost (apart from the Apple Care Plan outlay in the first place.

verses

Upgraded my Mac Mini from L to SL. Mostly been fine, although there’s been a few glitches. Off the top of my head;
    – My el-cheapo web cam won’t work any more.
    – Several items of 3rd party software no longer work (mainly apps for copying stuff from my Tivo).

Flaperon

I found my Mac noticeably slower after upgrading. Your mileage may vary. I now run Windows 7 almost exclusively through Boot Camp and it’s much faster than either.

IA

IIRC the L->SL upgrade was the one where the backend changes meant code that hacked prexisting stuff to work differently didn’t work. That mostly includes plugins/mods for existing stuff, and anything using SIMBL etc. SO that might explain some stuff not working. Webcam I’m surprised at though, unless you used the 3rd party usb webcam driver who’s name I forget – there may be a new verison.

My mileage does indeed vary to Flaperon’s, as does most folk’s.

beamers

I’d not done any under the hood style tinkering with any programmes to make them work with L so there were no dramas like that for me with the switch to SL.

BadlyWiredDog

I found it mostly fast and efficient, but be aware that certain older programmes will no longer work with it – some versions of Photoshop for example – so check that anything you want to keep and use before installing is compatible, there are lists out there.

Only real ball-ache I had was 10.6.5 killed my wireless connection – quite a common issue – and I ended up retrofitting 10.6.4 and am now reluctant to go to 10.6.6 and go through the whole palaver again.

spacemonkey

Fortunately I took at the Apple Care Plan with my MBP so booked a slot at a Genius Bar, the dude ran some checks and gave me a new battery. I asked him about the battery sensitivity thing with SL. In my case it was due to a chemical fault in the battery which had caused it to swell. This resulted in the trackpad feeling a bit funny (the battery is right underneath it, and the MBP would cut out without warning after about 20 mins use.

I had the same problem with my MBP last summer. Took it to a Genius Bar and they replaced the battery without any fuss (even though warranty had expired).

Not sure if SL is to “blame” but there are certainly a fair few cases out there.

Probably won’t bother going to Lion.

And if I’m really honest, I don’t even see why everyone raves over SL in the first place – all IMHO of course. Win 7 for me anytime.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Mac Snow Leopard’ is closed to new replies.