Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Mac OS9 problem – Help
  • trailmonkey

I need to find some OS9 cd burning software but just can’t track any down. Free would be preferable.

Yes I have tried Googling but so far nada.

Any ideas ?

retro83
    Free Member

Which version of OS9?

Maybe this will help:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ta44036

dirtybike
    Free Member

Roxio Toast 5 will work , if you can find a copy.

dirtybike
    Free Member

Try Here
    Roxio Toast

trailmonkey

I’ve got Roxio Toast on a disc but its 9.1 compatible, I’m using 9.04. I can upgrade from 9.04 to 9.1 but this causes issues with Apple Talk in Cubase 5 – it’s a mess.

binners

OS9? Are you listening to tapes on a Walkman while you’re doing this? 😉

the-muffin-man

I’m pretty sure I’ve got an early version of Toast at home. Will have to check tonight though.

trailmonkey

binners – yes, i’ve got a stock aitken waterman mix tape on it.

muffin man that would be most helpful.

i’ve got a feeling that the apple talk issues that i had were complicated by using applewerks. as i’m no longer reliant on that, i should be able to upgrade to 9.1, keep apple talk off so that i have no cubase conflicts and install the version of toast that i have.

thanks for all the input so far and keep the ideas coming folks.

mrmo
    Free Member

i had a priate copy of toast (4 i think) on a zip250 disc, but the drive broke and i can’t remember what i did with the disk. I think it is somewhere in the house i can have a look, but obviously you would need a zip drive to use it.

binners

Zip dives? Toast? Blimey! I’m getting all nostalgic 🙂

I may have a copy of Toast on a CD somewhere fella. I’ll have a look later for you

the-muffin-man

And the old Syquest drives – they were the dogs whatsits!!

Can’t say I miss messing with SCSI IDs though – there was always one drive that had to be in a certain position in the chain for it to work!

trailmonkey

mrmo, i don’t have a zip but thanks all the same.

binners that would be good. nostalgia maybe, fact is, the g4 is still the best option i’ve got at the mo for music making and i can’t afford a new mac and audio/vst software so it’s worth persevering with. awesome machine.

geoffj

*day dreams down memory lane*
    😀

the-muffin-man

Hi trailmonkey

Have found the disc! Says for OS 8.6 and above on the box.

I need to check it on my G4 at work now though as all the data doesn’t seem to be showing up on my Macbook!

Kevevs
    Free Member

I’ve got an original formac CD here with Toast v 5.01 on it. Used it on my G4 os9. Email me your address and I’ll send it in the morn if you want. kevinevs@yahoo.co.uk

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Cheeze, OS9??

I’ve got a couple of old Mac laptops running OS 7 I think, somewhere. Don’t use ’em. Would bung ’em on Ebay, but they’ve got bloody university security markings all over them. Not nicked, but dents their value somewhat.

Like this:

trailmonkey

Gosh, thanks for all the offers of help. STW really is a wonderful place sometimes.

I managed to find a soloution by loading 9.04 onto my storage HD then updating to 9.1 and running Toast on that – no conflicts with Cubase which is running on the Mac HD.

A bit of a faff swapping start up discs every now and then but hey, it’s a result.

Hope to post up the fruits of my work on MySpace later.

Thanks all.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I have a Zip Drive if you need it transfering.

CountZero

Wow, reading this post has me getting almost teary and emotional. OS9, ZIP drives, SCSI chains and drives…
    It all seems so long ago now…
    Elfin, I love that laptop, the only improvement on that would be one of the original black PowerBooks. There is, kicking around at work, a G3 Tower in Bondi Blue and white, from around ’99, I think. Still works, AFAIK, but a little…slow, by today’s standards. Still looks good though.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Memory lane – you forget how long things took! Photoshop was a long drawn out affair (v2.5) and you could take your print job to the repro house on. Floppy disk or 2 lol

the-muffin-man

I miss the repro houses – if you got in with the right people they were a great source of free software and fonts!

Memory lane – you forget how long things took!

Yep, but you had time to think about a job back then and let a design develop. I hate the “I want it yesterday” culture of today.

Anyway DTP was still blinding fast compared to dark-room work and paste-up!

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

you may like this http://www.macintoshgarden.org they even have old os on there

trailmonkey

I’ve just got back into using the G4 and OS9 for music making after quite a long lay off. Even on a machine and system that old it’s amazing how plush it all to use and how capable the G4 is of handling all the complex functions without ever missing a skip, so crucial in music making.

Awesome machine and now I’ve got everything running and working, I see no need to spend any cash on a new system 8)

Having said that, A new MacBook would be nice 😉

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

I’ve just rebuilt an ibook g4 1.33ghz, it’s poor with flash and you tube video but it’s quite an endearing machine. Later models far outstrip it for flash and video though!

M6TTF
    Free Member

sold my G4 dual 867MDD on ebay last year for the princely sum of 60 quid! – i’d upgraded various bit in it too – was an ultra reliable machine, but was getting a bit slow by todays standards

still got my Mac Plus 1mb though (with a fancy 4mb upgrade)

Kevevs
    Free Member

mate came round with a free, old PC, I stripped the hard drive out my old G4 400mhz and put it in the PC. now I can do all my internets on windows xp as the mac wouldn’t run a modern day browser/flash, etc on OS10.3.9. and the hardware wouldn’t run 10.4. Lasted a good 10 years though, never crashed!

miss the mac already 🙁 Saving up for another one.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Mac OS9 problem – Help’ is closed to new replies.