Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Mac expert needed
  • JCornford

My refurbed mac book pro starting playing up and it was still undre warranty so i sent it back to be fixed, amongst other things they replaced the keyboard, but it’s been replaced by one with a slightly different layout, so the keys now don’t do what they say! I emailed the shop back to ask them if I can change this via a setting somewhere and there helpful response was google it! I’ve tried that and failed, do any of you know?

zilog6128

which keys specifically?

JCornford

The top level navigation, sound, brightness, etc etc

warton
    Free Member

phone up again and get them to tel you what to do, or send it back. ‘Google it’ from tech support is totally unnaceptable!

zilog6128

AFAIK the special function keys are standardised on all mac keyboards now – even international ones – so I’ve no idea what is going on, sorry! But as said above, send it back and get them to fix it properly!!

MrSmith
    Free Member

The top level navigation, sound, brightness, etc etc

is it not a case of using the ‘fn’ function button in the bottom left to activate the function keys instead of the expose/brightness/media keys etc?

zilog6128

ah, if that is the problem there is also a setting you can toggle under “Keyboard” in “System Preferences”. I thought you meant the special function keys had been swapped around!

brassneck

If that was done under AppleCare it’d be back to the fixer for my money – I’d expect the right keyboard to be put back on!

They are responsive to measured calm pressure – I got courier collection and delivery out of them by being firm but polite.

MrSmith
    Free Member

i would reinstall the OS. this might then recognise the keyboard. i presume the HD was left as it was when you sent it for the reapir.

Cougar

You need to reinstall OSX to change keyboards?

Hell fire, and you lot criticise Microsoft?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Which OS are you using? A more upto date one might recognise the newer layout.

Alternatively this might help:

http://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/document.html

Drac

I’d get back touch with them as they clearly haven’t fully repaired it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Mac expert needed’ is closed to new replies.