Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Lying on CV's
  • jabbathehut
    Free Member

i have a big dilemma at the moment. Im job hunting and im in an industry where experience really does count. Now i have a reasonable amount (2 Years) so im doing ok but a mate who was helping me re-write my CV last night very strongly suggested that if i didnt lie and add a few companies and jobs on i would'nt stand a chance.

Now i know the obvious answer is – dont do it because its so easy to be caught out but on the flip side i know many people in my game that add feet and legs onto CV's so i feel im fighting against this. I feel that if i dont exagerate a bit then i wont ever stand a chance of getting better work.

HELP.

coffeeking
    Free Member

No point lying, you'll only be found out, either directly or by beign asked to do something you can't. Just be honest, admit the lack of experience is a concern you have but you're willing, intelligent and able to learn fast (if you are!) and hopefully they'll recognise that. Anyone can lie, a decent employer will recognise the honesty and the integrity you show by not doing.

sofatester
    Free Member

Now i know the obvious answer is

Then why are you asking? 😉

whippersnapper
    Free Member

only lie on the cv if you have the ability to lie very well in person. I wouldn't recommend it.

theflatboy
    Free Member

it's fraud. therefore a bad idea.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Stretch it a bit, but don't lie – if they find out you will have no chance.

Or ^^^^^ +1

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It's expected that you talk up your achievements. It's quite another thing to make up false information. If you get found out, you'll probably be fired within your probation period. So I wouldn't go that way.

Good luck though

BigDummy
    Free Member

add a few companies and jobs

Do people really do this?!

Bloody hell. I talk up my own importance and cleverness, but I don't invent actual things that I haven't done. 😯

tails
    Free Member

Stretch, exaggerate etc but out right lieing is not good. Do you have any work exp you can add on? How did you get 2 years experience if you can't get work?

jabbathehut
    Free Member

Aye – I know that im not going to add companies or vast amounts of experience onto my CV. I was just testing the water really of other peoples opinions – eh sofatester 8)

I cant lie for shit at the best of times. Id make myself look like a right plonker and a well deserving winner of 1st place on the dole queue.

ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

+1 for the exaggerate bit. Don't lie though, certainly not to that extent.

Saying that you got a B in GCSE English when you really got a C is one thing – giving details of places where you've never worked and experience which you don't have is another. If you get caught out, you'll look like a colossal tit, and you either won't get hired, or you'll probably get fired if they've already taken you on.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Don't do it, the truth will out.

BigDummy – Member

add a few companies and jobs

Do people really do this?!

Indeed they do, many times people have asked me for a reference for someone that has never worked for me even though my Agency appears on their work history.

jabbathehut
    Free Member

tails – Member
    Stretch, exaggerate etc but out right lieing is not good. Do you have any work exp you can add on? How did you get 2 years experience if you can't get work?

Im working at the moment. But looking for something much better. I have quite a bit of experience in related fields but in this climate its a fair old scrap to get better work. 😯

Big Dummy – Yes poeople do it all the time. I work offshore doing ad-hoc rope access work so no-one really checks. But im not taking the chance

joolsburger
    Free Member

Keep it real man!!

In all honesty it's not worth lying. It is worth demonstrating personal ownership of relevant projects or tasks. Highlighting areas where you've demonstrably learnt new skills quickly. Being clear about your reasons for wanting the role with them specifically (use a inital summary at the start of your CV covering letters are a bit naff unless asked for)

What is ad hoc rope access work?

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

I added a degree I haven't got to mine. I've never been asked to produce any proof and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be in my current job if they knew I didn't have one!

glenh
    Free Member

Saying that you got a B in GCSE English when you really got a C is one thing – giving details of places where you've never worked and experience which you don't have is another

Eh? That's a blatant lie! Plus one that will be found out quite easily when the ask for your education certificates.

glenh
    Free Member

Penrod – what's the point in adding it then? It obviously isn't a requirement for your job otherwise the'd ask to see proof.

scottidog
    Free Member

You gotta have big cajonies to pull it off, but if you can fair play.

He who dares my son.

scottidog
    Free Member

+ your the man Penrod. Stuff like that really annoys me.

Went to apply for a job I know I am more than capable of earlier this week and the first question on the online application was 'do you have a masters degree', i entered no and was booted out of the application form, end of story.

Trimix
    Free Member

Well, it all depends on where you draw the line between exageration and lying…… thats an important point.

Do what your comfortable with and know the risks.

Dont ask us to asses the risk for you, its a personal thing.

I, like most, talk up my achievements, but wouldnt put anything down that can be simply and eaisly checked. Thats too much risk for me. As for lying, Im good at it and dont have a problem if it dosent hurt people I like or respect. But Im honest enough to admit to it.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

* I may have lied on this thread

scottidog
    Free Member

Shame on you.

nickf
    Free Member

Penrod – what's the point in adding it then? It obviously isn't a requirement for your job otherwise the'd ask to see proof.

I've been working for 25 years in the sorts of job where a degree is mandatory, as is an additional qualification.

How many times have I been asked to show my O level/A level/S level/degree/professional qualification? That's right, not once.

Trimix
    Free Member

Yeah, can't ever remember being asked to show any qualifications – just as well really as Ive none.

mt
    Free Member

Do not lie. If it's experiance that counts in the industry and you say you have had at this or that place, then a couple of calls and you'll never get the job and your reputation will be shot.
    I see cv's on a regular basis, as I know our industry and many of the people involved it becomes easy to question a certain amount of what I read. If I'm not sure then it's easy to find out, you may be suprised how many people know each other around your chosen business sector.
    Even had a guy forget to name a company because it would look bad on his cv (he was right). First question when I interviewed him was why had he not mentioned it and did he remember interviewing me for a job there. His face a picture, gave him a job though.

highclimber
    Free Member

The only thing you should Lie about on CV's Is your current salary. everthing else should be as accurate as possible.

DT78
    Free Member

I'm sure there was a documentry on last year some time about people lying on CV's… there was some chap who wrote a completely false CV and managed to get a position as ships captain on a cruise liner.

…then again maybe I dreamt it up….

I would say it really depends on whether your going for perm or contract. If you lie on your CV for a permie job I believe if/when they find out they can fire you on the spot.

tails
    Free Member

The only thing you should Lie about on CV's Is your current salary. everthing else should be as accurate as possible.

Can this not be checked through your P45?

BigJohn

add a few companies and jobs on

The worst reputation you can have is a "job hopper". So you wouldn't want to be doing that.

By all means embellish your relevant experience, but only if it's in your strongest subject, so if questioned you can impress them with your knowledge, instead of actually answering the question.

highclimber
    Free Member

No as it doesn't show your salary, just what you have paid in NI and PAYE. besides the employer doesn't see you P45. you fill out a P46 when you start thus avoiding them caluclating your income previously

nickf
    Free Member

I had a guy working for me who claimed to be a qualified accountant. Something about him didn’t seem entirely right, and he registered high on the bull****-ometer.

As I’d not hired the guy, I checked on our references for him, then called the accountancy body he claimed to be a qualified member of. They’d never heard of him….he’d made the whole thing up.

Fired him that day.

Kahurangi

-How do I operate this machine?
    -Marge! According to your CV, you invented it!

(to paraphrase the Simpsons)

Trimix
    Free Member

There was that guy some time ago who claimed to be a doctor – took ages before someone found out and sacked him.

ex-pat
    Free Member

I wouldn't lest I get checked into – and then it's all over…

Guy where I used to work 'updated' his cv through several years at the same company. Idiot then went for an internal job and it was pointed out that his current cv didn't match his original (think cisco certified etc, big changes for his role), rather lamely he pretended that he'd accidentally copied details from his brother's cv. He left.

As a manager if I had someone falsifying their cv I'd expect them to leave as soon as I found out.

Edric64
    Free Member

I work offshore doing ad-hoc rope access work so no-one really

IRATA to what level will be the main comcern I expect.You can't lie about that .

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

I received a CV from a guy who claimed to have worked for a month at a central London bank and migrated their main system from Sybase to SQL Server.

Now having managed an outsourced team that supported that bank a while ago I knew this was a big piece of work. After a quick IM to a former colleague I found out this chap spent only 9 days there and wrote an awful report that was of no use and had to be completely re-written.

Don't lie, most industries are quite incestuous and someone will know someone who'll know you are lying.

MRanger156
    Free Member

I've never been asked for my degree certificate, despite being told to bring it along on my first day. I didn't lie about mine though!

I'd stretch the truth and don't be afraid to add extra curricular stuff like running clubs at uni or doing CSR stuff for previous employers.

The biggest risk of lying is getting found out – then you'll never get the job. The other risk is getting a job you can't handle, this has happened at my work and its proved very counter productive for the chap in question.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Lying on CV's’ is closed to new replies.