Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Lycra
  • Shorty121
    Free Member

Do people ride them in mud and rain? if so how do they cope?

yesiamtom
    Free Member

i do but i use mudguards. I know someone who uses lycra with no mudguards and he says they wear through after 2 seasons i think or something. For the sake of not killing kit i think using a mudguard (or even shorts?!) is an acceptable compromise.

crikey
    Free Member

Them lycra?

Would you like to try asking your question again in English?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Shorty121
    Free Member

Yeah I notice the mistake

How does it cope in rain and mud?

nick3216
    Free Member

it gets wet and muddy.

next question.

palookah
    Free Member

It gets wet and muddy. Much like everything else does.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Uh fine?

Are you curious? Or just bi?

crikey
    Free Member

Have a look on that Google for the 3 Peaks cyclocross, or Paris Roubaix, or any other number of wet and dirty races where people wear lycra.

The really silly thing is people wearing big baggy shorts in the wet and the mud; Yes, you might look the part, but you are carrying extra weight and flapping in the wind… 😉

Shorty121
    Free Member

Is it warm when it gets wet?

crikey
    Free Member

Not if you are standing about in car parks, or ‘sessioning’ that ‘gnarly’ dropoff, but for riding, it’s good.

I_Ache
    Free Member

If you don’t wear Lycra when riding then you can’t possibly be a proper rider, and that means you turn your bike upsidedown to remove a wheel. You must also be uncomfortable with your sexuality and not be happy with your body. Well that’s what the MAMILS will tell you.

I wear baggys and can’t stand Lycra. Read into that what you will.

aP
    Free Member

Well, with the option of wearing large flapping mud filled shorts or leggings that don’t produce burn marks. I know with I’d prefer.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I wear lycra shorts, sometimes I turn my bike over, sometimes I don’t, I have mudguards, tubeless tyres are fine but I don’t notice the difference when I put a tube in, I rarely wear a helmet, I have been known to ride a full suspension bike on the canal path, I’ve never ridden a trail centre and i don’t much care how many fingers anybody uses to operate their brakes.

grum
    Free Member

aP – you fill your shorts with mud?

Not if you are standing about in car parks, or ‘sessioning’ that ‘gnarly’ dropoff, but for riding, it’s good.

In classic STW style, some people just can’t resist having a little sneer at those that have a slightly different preference can they.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

lycra in mud and rain is cold and wet
    waterproof overshorts solve the problem
    and yes turning bikes upside down to fix a puncture is easier

rOcKeTdOg

Lycra is mainly for the bedroom

oddjob
    Free Member

I don’t own any baggy shorts, just lycra here. However if i am going for a ride with my 6 year old son, then I keep my jeans on 🙂

alexpalacefan

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    Lycra is mainly for the bedroom

LOL

APF

sefton
    Free Member

I’m Lycra through and through, but if I decide to wear knee pads I cant bring myself wear lycra with them

wwaswas

Lycra under baggies here.

Although I may pluck up courage and just wear the lycra for my next cross bike ride.

I_Ache
    Free Member

In classic STW style, some people just can’t resist having a little sneer at those that have a slightly different preference can they.

Agreed.

I couldn’t care less if somebody wants to wear just lycra on a bike. I don’t like wearing lycra but that seems to bother some cyclists.

fairhurst
    Free Member

lycra is far more comfier practical.

the use of plenty mudguards on my bike helps greatly in this weather.

Lifer
    Free Member

sefton – Member
    I’m Lycra through and through, but if I decide to wear knee pads I cant bring myself wear lycra with them

+1

I_Ache
    Free Member

I don’t find Lycra comfy at all. I doubt that it is because I’m 15 stone as I have seen blokes much bigger than me in it.

I do wear padded lycra liners when on long rides to reduce arse pain but they just don’t feel right to me. I don’t mind that wet baggys are heavier than wet lycra it wasn’t something that I had actually considered until now. Whenever I speak to people on the trails it seems that often those dressed in full lycra take themselves a bit too seriously. I’m not saying you all do and people in baggys can take themselves too seriously too.

It seems, as with many aspects of MTB, that there is a them and us mentality. Whether it be lycra or baggys, flipping your bike over to change a puncture or not, if the plane will take off on a conveyor or not. Some people need to chill out.

pussywillow
    Free Member

😆 ………… 😆 ………. 😆

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“I wear lycra shorts, sometimes I turn my bike over, sometimes I don’t, I have mudguards, tubeless tyres are fine but I don’t notice the difference when I put a tube in, I rarely wear a helmet, I have been known to ride a full suspension bike on the canal path, I’ve never ridden a trail centre and i don’t much care how many fingers anybody uses to operate their brakes.”

Burn him….

crikey
    Free Member

Hold on, hold on…

I took the original question to be a sneer and was answering in kind. Everyone who rode mountain bikes when I started rode in lycra, because that’s what people used to ride bikes in. The alternative was woollen jerseys and woollen shorts.

The current fashion of baggy clothing is exactly that; a fashion, a uniform that is led by the magazines, and is adhered to by ‘mountain bikers’ like some badge of belonging. How many ‘I’ve got a road bike but I’m going to ride it in my baggy shorts’ comments do we see?

Baggies are practical for that kind of messing about in the woods, but for actually going out and doing more sporty style riding, they are less practical than lycra…. especially in the wet.

pussywillow
    Free Member

U stick with yer Bally pants, and I’ll stick wi me baggies, if they get soaked then I’ll take that chance! 😆

I_Ache
    Free Member

When I had a road bike I wore my baggys and my Giro Xen with the peak on. I did get a few disapproving looks from roadies. They were probably annoyed with me for not following ‘The Rules.’

Like I said I don’t get on with lycra, so I’m not going to wear it to conform. I am more than happy for everybody else to wear lycra just don’t try to force others into wearing it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I_Ache – Member
    If you don’t wear Lycra when riding then you can’t possibly be a proper rider, and that means you turn your bike upsidedown to remove a wheel. You must also be uncomfortable with your sexuality and not be happy with your body. Well that’s what the MAMILS will tell you.

I wear baggys and can’t stand Lycra. Read into that what you will.

I’d read into it that you can’t possibly be a proper rider, and that means you turn your bike upsidedown to remove a wheel. You must also be uncomfortable with your sexuality and not be happy with your body.

When I had a road bike I wore my baggys and my Giro Xen with the peak on. I did get a few disapproving looks from roadies. They were probably annoyed with me for not following ‘The Rules.’

I think it was probably more confused than disapproving. Roadies have evolved over the years, eveythign about the kit/bike/riding is designed arround being efficient, doing lots of miles and doing it as fast as you can, Why would you wear baggies instead of lycra, theres clearly more to* chafe, bibs can’t slip down and more drag, and a peaked helmet just gives me a sore neck trying to see past it, that and it gets noisy on decents.

*note the ‘to’, you might not get chaffed by baggies, but some people will, so why take the risk, and they clearly drag more as they inflate like swiming trunks full of air as soon as you stop pedaing downhill!

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve been wearing Lycra on my bikes since the late 70’s and it’s the most suitable thing I’ve found to wear so far. If you’re insecure about your body wear baggies it won’t affect me either way.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I ride road as well as MTB and I have adopted lycra on the MTB as it is loads more comfier. No snagging when shifting off my seat etc. I prefer it but others don’t.

IA

Lycra, with waterproof shorts over the top when it’s wet.

Not to preserve the lycra or ought, just cos this is a comfy combo. No-one likes a soggy crack.

Shorty121
    Free Member

I might keep them for the drier days or put a mudguard on.

nick3216
    Free Member

I don’t find Lycra comfy at all. I doubt that it is because I’m 15 stone as I have seen blokes much bigger than me in it.

Physically comfortable or discomfort at your own body image?

The latter would explain your sneery resentment of us skinny MAMILS that can wear it without being uncomfortable about our body shape.

tk46hal
    Free Member

I wear Lycra bib shorts which I find to be the most comfortable and less likely to snag on the saddle unlike those big baggy things some riders wear, but they are more likely to tear if you fall off! 😉

😆

tk46hal
    Free Member

I wear Lycra bib shorts which I find to be the most comfortable and less likely to snag on the saddle unlike those big baggy things some riders wear, but they are more likely to tear if you fall off! 😉

😆

I_Ache
    Free Member

Nick, I don’t find it physically comfortable although you could argue that has something to do with my weight. And not all MAMILS are skinny, look at the punchy bloke in the NZ video. In fact I would probably associate a MAMIL with somebody my size or bigger.

That whole paragraph was aimed at the STWers that insist their way is the only way to do things like we were starting to see in the posts above mine.

bowglie

Agreed.

I couldn’t care less if somebody wants to wear just lycra on a bike.
    Aye, me too.

Sometimes I wear baggies over lycra, other times not – all depends on the weather and how thick the lycra is.

spando
    Free Member

Lycra for me now a days, I used to say I would never be seen wearing lycra but after too many wet, muddy, uncomfortable rides in baggies I took a leap of faith with lycra and haven’t looked back since.
    Although I do feel a bit of a gimp when going to Tesco to pick up some riding snacks 😳 Gives the old dears something to look at 😯
    I’m a big fan of the UK made Lusso gear, great value, fit and performance is great.
    Some folk I ride with are still resisting the Lycra and are a tad embarrassed to be seen riding with lycra gimps, one day they will succumb to the lycra way.
    I often invert my bike, sometimes while riding. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Lycra’ is closed to new replies.