Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Lumicycle upgrades
  • mtbfix

I’ve got an old halogen system somewhere in the shed but it needs new bulbs and poss a new battery. Can anyone tell me whether or not I can upgrade it to an LED lightsource without too much hassle or would it be best just to pop some new halogen lamps in there?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Have a search on here – its been done a few times. Cutter.com is a good source of kits but you can get the components cheaper

stumpy01

Quickest solution would be to get some new bulbs & get your battery back to Lumicycle for servicing. I think it would be cheaper than replacing it (unless it’s completely dead). Give them a ring, they are very helpful.

I wouldn’t get your bulbs from them though. Just Google MR11 halogens and go from there.

The other route would be converting to led, which if nothing else will greatly improve your runtime. Chances are they will be brighter as well.
    There is a long thread on here about it if you search. I converted one of my cans (and a mates as well) using a Cutter led & optic, a driver from eBay (‘black cat tech’ on here or ‘teapot’ on eBay), my own heatsink design & a new switch from Maplin.
    Both lights on full blast lasted 7hrs 20 with the endurance battery as opposed to about 3.5hrs with the halogens before (20/12w).

mtbfix

Crumbs! I think I might just plump for a couple of new bulbs for now and see how the old battery is fairing. Electrickery is not a forte of mine.

incognito
    Free Member

trout offers a service to do it but I think he’s snowed under at the moment. it’s something I want doing but don’t have the ability either.

Vortexracing

That thread of mine was starting from scratch, if Blackcattech can sort pre soldered LED inserts out then they will be so much more easier.

and Smudge off here is very good when it comes to batteries.

marc
    Free Member

I’m waiting for someone to offer the LED convertion too. I’ll wait till trout gets a bit more sorted.

trout
    Free Member

Snowed under is a bit of an understatement .
    but have got some heatsinks on the way and will ba able to supply sealed led drop ins. that just need wiring in to
    BCT s driver Simples 😉

stumpy01

Oh yeah, forgot Black Cat Tech is looking to do a kit of everything excluding the led board & optic. Should just be a case of soldering in the led board to the driver & off you go. He’s been a bit quiet of late though, so assume he’s a bit busy.

Or there’s also trout’s led/heatsink drop-in solution that looks like a good solution when paired with a BCT driver.

incognito
    Free Member

it needs to be simples if I’m doing it 😛

marc
    Free Member

I thought recharging them was an achievement. It’d have to be a plug n play kit or I’m knackered.

mtbfix

Just charged my old battery. It gave a whiopping 10mins run time on a 10W lamp. Think it may be past its best.

BigJohn

smudge (sales@mtbbatteries.co.uk) off this forum is best value for new batteries, but I think the days of replacing your NiMH cells are over. It’s got to be Li-Ion now.

smudge
    Free Member

Thanks John, 🙂
    I also have a few NiMH 13.2V & 14.4V 4Ah batteries that will be a direct swap for your old battery if you’re interested mtbfix. Please email me for more info.

Smudge

BigJohn

My pleasure Smudge. Oh, and thanks for sending that replacement plug & socket. All sorted now, thanks.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Lumicycle upgrades’ is closed to new replies.