Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lumi can conversion – a wee problem!
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I did this conversion months ago and it’s been brilliant up until about two weeks ago. When I turn the light on it’s pretty dim for about half an hour, then suddenly pings on to full brightness again, if I happen to accidentally siwtch them off, it takes the same again for them to come back up to full power.

Any light gurus have an idea?.

Brilliant light when it’s working by the way!.

stumpy01

Sounds like an issue with the driver……at a guess.

Luminous
    Free Member

I’m not familliar with this conversion, unless you’re referring to that monster thread from last year I think ?. Even then, I wouldn’t claim expert knowledge of that conversion.

But on the basis of your description, I’d suggest you look at the driver to begin with.

Which driver have you used ?.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes, It was that monster thread from last year, Vortexracings conversion. IIRC the driver was a 670mA one from blackcattech.

Vortexracing

it does sound like a driver problem.

BCT has some for sale on his ebay account.

although they are now 770Ma I think, not that that makes any difference.

just check that you dont have any dry joints on the board

Conespanner

Yes I had this problem last year after doing the conversion. I thought it was down to the switch, as sometimes when you pushed the lever inwards it would brighen up to full power, there’s a springy feeling when pushed.

Alas though, the light don’t work this year, took it apart earlier in the week and everything is corroded through moisture attack. The driver board, although covered in heatshrink after initial soldering has been attacked and the board is not coated in conformal coating for protection. I’m assuming that we a new driver all will be well again, but I don’t have time for this so I’ve gone back to halogen for the moment.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Vortex, you got any of the LED’s and optics for sale at all?, fancy converting my other lumi can as well, as a back up to this one.

Vortexracing

Sorry no LED’s or optics.

I’m sure if you do a thread on a bulk buy lumi order from cutter a few people will be interested, that way postage can be split and hardly costs anything at all.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just opened it up and it’s perfectly dry inside, no condensation or signs of corrosion. Think I’ll order a new driver.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Vortex, any chance of nudging me in the direction of a link to the correct LED’s and optics on cutter?.

Cheers.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tried a new driver, just the same result,then cleaned all the heatsink paste off with elec contact clean spray, and voila!. Seems fine now.

The paste I had bought from ebay, and it had a slight copperslip look about it, I think it was shorting somewhere.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lumi can conversion – a wee problem!’ is closed to new replies.