Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lubing fork stanchions. Good or bad?
  • PolisherMan

Just found a can of stendec fork silicone. Can it get into workings of the fork and affect the oil? Is it needed, or anything else worth using. Sort of thinking that it could just encourage grit to stick and get dragged in….

Just got some 2011 Mazocchi 44’s and I want them to be my forever forks!

iainc

Lubing with silicone stuff is good. Fork Juice often reccomended as best, but a drop of Finish Line Green is fine too

ste_t
    Free Member

It keeps things running nice and smooth, keeps dirt out of the seals, should reduce friction thus reduce stantion wear. All good stuff. (Spray religiously before every ride incase you couldn’t tell.)

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Fork juice front and rear before every ride.

khani
    Free Member

Silicon sets dry like wax not sticky like oil, spray it on and don’t wipe off the excess, cycle the fork and wipe off the mucky ring on the stanchions if there is one, works a treat 😀
    Edit…put a plastic carrier bag over your disc when you do it or it’ll HOWL!!!!!…….

zangolin
    Free Member

Few drops of Tri-Flow after each ride – cycle the forks + shock a few times then wipe of dirt and excess lube.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Chain lube my forks and shock every ride after the chain 😀

nealy
    Free Member

I’ve been using Halfords silicone spray but Fork Juice is meant to have a higher silicone content, another alternative is Finish Line Stanchion lube. It reduces friction and stops dirt sticking to the stanchions but always cover the brakes up as it’ll contaminate the pads and reduce friction there too!

spooky_b329

Chain lube/green finish line = bad!

It makes the dirt stick! I have a mate who thinks his habit of lubing the forks resulted in the stanchions wearing through the finish on his Revelations.

I refilled a chain lube bottle with fork oil and use that, he does the same now.

iainc

Chain lube/green finish line = bad!

not according to Tim Flooks…..but what does he know …..

Jeffus
    Free Member

I usually apply a few drops of dry chain lube pump the fork usually leaves a ring of oil and dirt wipe it clean, pump again usually no dirt then off I go, done this for about 6 years no problem.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lubing fork stanchions. Good or bad?’ is closed to new replies.