Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LowePro DSLR backpaks – Anybody use one?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

After this thread

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/photography-q-lens-upgrade-worth-it

I am now the owner of a Vivitar 285HV and some Cactus V4 wireless triggers alongside my usual 400D and 2 lenses. The main use of my camera is MTB photography and up unti now I've carried the camera on the front of my Camelbak in a pouch for quick access. This has several disadvantages – Mainly it's a right faff to get my Camelbak off and there is nowhere else to keep the strobe other than in said Camelback.
    I need to zoom off ahead down a trail, whip my equipment out (Fnarr-fnaar!), and be ready to shoot very quickly. And it's gonna pee me off very quickly with my current set up.
    So I was thinking of getting either a LowePro FastPak 200 or Primus AW which will be a lot better for the camera access and still have space for spare tubes and cake. Also, if it's easier to use, I'll be more likey to take the camera with me in the first place because I ofen don't bother now.

Has anybody got any experience of these packs for MTB use? (From the pics it looks like I might even get a bladder in the Primus with a bit of persuasion, too)
    Or anything else similar from another manufacturer?

Cheers! 😀

halfbee
    Free Member

Slingshot AW200 is good for body access but I have to take it off to change lenses safely. I've not tried carrying water in it.

hitman
    Free Member

I have a new slingshot for sale if anyone is interested

Dudie
    Free Member

From my experience a dedicated camera pack is good if you are just out simply taking piccies. I have found that if I am out on my bike, or out walking/scrambling in the hills, a well fitting 'normal' rucksac with my camera gear inside works best for me. Camera/lenses kept inside in pouches amongst the normal paraphernalia required for the day's activity. Doesn't take that long to whip the sack off and get my bits out (fnarr etc…)

5thElefant
    Free Member

I've got a camera backpack type thing but don't like using it so I've gone for a different approach.

I use a bumbag waist holster type thing (Tamrac). I find hanging the weight off my hips is more comfortable than on my back, it can be rotated around to the front for easy access. Extra lenses etc can go in belt pouches (or in the camelbak). I have got a chest harness for it too which I use for hiking but don't like it on a mountainbike.

nbt

I've a mini-trekker AW. I've taken it out riding but it's not ideal. I can geta bladder in, but it's not made for a bladder and I do worry about it a little. MOre than that though is the faff of removing the bag, then undoing all the clips and straps and whatnot to get the camera out. On top of that, it's a "traditional" bag in that the outside opens, so the bit lying on top of that dog turd you didn;t spot is the panel that goes against your back. Nice.

Not sure what camera bags exist where the back panel opens, but I'm sure there must be one. Check Seb Roger's blog, if he hasn't posted up come quick reviews of bags, he's posted inks to people who have

Mintman
    Free Member

I've got a Fastpack 200 a couple of weeks ago and although not been cycling with it, i've done some walking and photo-ing and think very highly of it. Nice bit of padding in the bottom bit to keep my D40 safe, extra storage for a lens or 2 and plenty of room at the top for tubes/cake etc.

Not sure that you'd get much of a bladder in there but a nice pack all the same.

The side access is quick and easy meaning that whipping your bits out has never been quicker!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mintman, thanks for that, valuable info there. The Primus is biggerer and I recon I might be able to set it up so I can get the camera and flash out without removing the pack. At the very least you can spin them round on the waist strap. I think I'll go and see if I can find one to look at 🙂

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Had a Fastpack 250 and a very small Micro-Trekker, not overly impressed with either particularly from a comfort angle

Now using a Kata DR465 and its so much better (to me anyway) they also do a larger 467 which takes a Laptop

theginjaninja
    Free Member

I have a big LowePro Vertex 100 AW which I only use for if I'm riding to a trail specifically for pics.

Generally I take a lens, one or two flashes, some ball bungies to attach them to trees and triggers in my normal riding bag. I use one of those lens wrap things to cover the body and lens. If not trees are available I use my bike as a lightstand 🙂

pacemaker
    Free Member

I use the Vertex 300 for day to day camera use as i can't fit my gear in anything smaller, it is not suitable for riding as is too big and heavy,I do strap a camelbak unbottle to the side for getting up the hills for photos

I have had a Fastpack 350 and a slingshot 200 before, but never tried the on the bike.

I honestly would not take any of my DSLR's or lenses out whilst riding the bike as i wouldn't want to risk damaging them.
    I just use the point and shoot.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice chaps, I'm going to look at all the options before I decide

I mostly use my Canon for riding pics, so it makes sense to gear my kit toward that. I've only crashed the once with a camera on my chest….! 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘LowePro DSLR backpaks – Anybody use one?’ is closed to new replies.