• This topic has 21 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ash.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • low stack height stem or headset?
  • trusty

Here goes…
    Bought a new frame and headset and transfered my old forks over. There “should” have been no problems, head tubes were the same length including the headset spacer I was using. However, it’s a bit short! 😳 The stem will clamp up ok but I’d like a bit more length (oohh er missus). Anyone recommend a low stack stem or headset? headset needs to be an old skool external one. Current set up is FSA headset and raceface stem.

wwaswas

Crank Bros are the load stack headset of choice currently I think.

trusty

Crank Bros? Cool. I may be showing my ignorance here, but are all stem clamps the same height?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nuke

How big is the gap between top of steerer and top of stem?

are all stem clamps the same height

No. Although generally most are around 40mm. Some FSA stems are 35mm

trusty

A shorter stem would be an easier swap, as it’ll save swapping headsets over 😕 FSA you say…

the gaps 8 or 9 mm I suppose. It’ll clamp tight, but the top bolt is tighter than the botton one (if that makes any sense)

nuke

FSA you say…

Yes but not all of them so check

the gaps 8 or 9 mm I suppose.

Thomson, for example, advise 3mm although plenty of people will say that they’ve ridden around with more than that, are still alive and have their own teeth

R979
    Free Member

Spank do the spike stem:

http://spank-ind.com/index.php?a=info&do=pro&id=33&tid=1

About half the stack height of a normal two-bolt stem. Short though…

clubber
    Free Member

I had this problem with my 29er and a second hand fork that was marginal for length plus wanting to get the front end lower.

I’ve gone for a CrankBros iodine headset (20.5mm – considerably shorter than an FSA XL2 which is 27.5) and a FSA OS-115 stem (35mm stack which is shorter than most others which are usually 40-45mm).

nuke

The thing about the CB headset is that it is expensive, not very durable and gets surface rust

(Current owner of CB headset 🙁 )

clubber
    Free Member

Mine was £35. I would have been wary but I reckon with a 5 year warranty I can live with it.

xiphon
    Free Member

This is the spank spike stem -> http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/5287747/

50mm rear, 0 deg, VERY low stack (with only one bolt clamped)

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Sunline stems have a low stack height

5lab

kore do a stem as well, and its cheap. Called the B1B

trusty

appologies for the late reply, couldn’t get on line at home…

Thanks for the help, certainly a few options! I’ll probably go for the Sunline stem (yes, I’m a tart), the Spank’s a bit too short although it does look nice… and the headsets brand spanky new so don’t want to take it off if I can avoid it.

Cheers! 😀

neninja
    Free Member

I used a Sunline V1 All Mountain stem when I had a steerer length issue. Worked a treat as it was almost 10mm lower than the one it replaced.

trusty

That’s what I’ve gone for, bought from all terrain cycles as they were cheapest.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I ran a slightly short steerer for a while on my Whyte 19 – probably 7-8mm showing inside my Thomson stem.

Never slipped, never caused me any issues, I still have my front teeth – even occasionally took off!

I’d clamp it up and see if you can move the stem with the wheel between your knees – pretty sure it will bend the wheel before slipping!

trusty

it feels tight, but does creak a bit… the bike does get off the ground fairly regularly, and it’s not an expensive stem on there anyway. I’d rather part with the cash then spoil my, er, good looks. 😯

hughjayteens
    Free Member

If it’s creaking and inexpensive I’d change it for sure.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Erm, daft question, presume you don’t have the old headset off your old frame you could use – surely if you’ve got that (or a direct replacement) everything will be tickety boo?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’ve got a FUNN Rippa stem for sale that has a 32mm stack height, not the lightest thing ever but it’s a nice bit of kit. Another option is the DMR Swarm stem which has a 30mm stack height and looks pretty sweet.

ash

Ragley Stubbing

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘low stack height stem or headset?’ is closed to new replies.