Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Lost my mojo
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Went to get the bike out this evening for a quick stint. BB seized (after 4 or 5 rides), both brakes out of pad material and binding, rear mech all over the place, rear shock in need of a service. Thought I’d give it a go anyway as it’s mostly flat on teh route I was going but got half way and got so cheesed off having to tweak the gears and deal with the BB resistance that I very nearly lobbed the damn thing in the river. The only thing that stopped me was passing walkers who might have thought I’d gone nuts.

<sigh>

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Have a nice cup of tea while you order new bits from CRC (Paypal). Then have nice cathartic afternoon in the garden cleaning and repairing your bike with the new bits. Your feel much betterer.

coffeeking
    Free Member

True enough I’m sure, just found it all rather overwhelmingly annoying today.

And BLOODY HTII BBs – who the hell decided they are to replace square taper?! I have only ever replaced 2 sodding square taper BBs in my life due to them wearing out/failing, I’ve done 2 HTIIs in 12 months.

Shackleton

Octalink and Sq taper for years here too then switched to HTII when I broke a crank arm. Spent a small fortune on various HTII BBs. Then I bought a Hope one 18 months ago for more money than I cared to spend on a BB but having tried every other mftr, and having them last 12 weeks, I don’t regret it at all. Faultless so far.

As for the rest of it – get a cup of tea, pack of biccies and sort it out. I’m always amazed how much better I feel after a bit of tinkering knowing that next time I need to go out I can just grab my bike and go.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Which hope one, stainless or ceramic? I’ve not yet stripped it to identify the cause of death but I suspect it’s my leaving it without cleaning the last time I used it kept the moisture around the bearings.

At least I still have the singlespeed working flawlessly. I just don’t have the fitness or the wrists to cope with the rigid monogearness of it 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

What you need is a nice riding challenge. Maybe a little drop off in a local park 🙂

As for BB’s, I did kill a shimano one but my hope ceramic has been going well for a couple of years and I’ve not really done anything to it.

molgrips
    Free Member

http://www.acros.de/PRODUCTS/BOTTOM-BRACKET:::3_94.html

When I have rides like that I just give up straight away. It feels really good 🙂 Then you fix your bike, that helps your state of mind both by being a quiet studious manual task and by making your bike work smoothly.. so next time it’s all smiles.

DickBarton

Most of all that sounds self inflicted. Regular checks of brakes would ensure your brakes were working. Wash, clean and oil would probably sort the gears as they’d be checked whilst oiling.

Bb is the only thing you can prevent.

Stop feeling down for not joining some maintenance and get it sorted so you don’t suffer again.

thebunk

lol, mrblobby beat me to the park reminder!

Bit of light maintenance in the sun with a beer, all will be good again.

Keva
    Free Member

perfect excuse to get a new bike – or take it apart and fix it, or both.

…which is why I have more than one bike, if I haven’t had the time to fix something that has gone wrong with one bike there’s always another to ride.

Kev

coffeeking
    Free Member

🙂 I have 5 bikes, none of which seem to fill me with the urge to ride at the moment. The road bike is the only one that runs flawlessly, the rest just don’t get the TLC they need I admit.

In order to attempt the park drop (which was the reason my bike was out of action recently…well, that damn little drop and almost losing the seat post up my bum to be fair) I’d have to have a bike I was comfortable on, and that seems to have left me one way or another.

Short travel full sus has the above faults.
    Trials bike has a dodgy thread on the brake mount (magura mounts) and needs some TLC
    Singlespeed needs some TLC due to loosening hub cones.
    Long travel needs some wheels.

I’d contemplated flogging them all and buying one bike but I remembered the reason I have so many is that no one bike does everything well, you end up with an annoying compromise.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ha! And as if having tempted fate, rear mech on the road bike just over-shifted and ripped itself clean off. Balls.

Mounty_73

Bloody BB’s….I am now on my third BB (2 different bikes)…in 12 months….WTH?!

What are the best BB to buy ?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Square taper functioned fine for me. God only knows why we had the change forced on us!

martymac

we had the change forced on us exactly because square taper lasted ages.
    if you made a living selling bb parts, would you rather sell a customer 2 a year or 2 a lifetime?
    (im not saying i agree with it, but thats the way it is)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Dibs on your bikes!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I think we should revolt and stop buying HTII!

coolhandluke – you probably wouldn’t want them to be fair!

Kevevs
    Free Member

tough. get out and ride. cos someone has just died using his mojo trying to complete a chariity ride. so, **** your mojo. just go out and be alive.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Lost my mojo’ is closed to new replies.