Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Lost my compact camera – what to replace with?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Gutted after stupidly losing my much-loved Lumix FX33 on a night out at weekend.

Need a replacement and was so happy with the old one that I’m pretty much decided to get another Lumix – but it’s hard to find info on which are current.

Looking at the Lumix DMC-TZ10 – with a view to using the HD filming on the bike as well as it probably taking better pix than my old one.

Any experiences/recommendations?

thanks in advance guys

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Don’t bother with the one with the GPS as it will eat batteries.

The TZ-7 was nicely slimmer as the lcd is flush with the body.

derek_starship
    Free Member

jwr

I found the TZ10 to have quite poor image quality compared to the TZ7. Too many pixels and gimmicks is my guess.

-j

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Canon S90 I have is nice, and shoots in RAW.

However, I’d still rather have my Fuji F20 back. Can’t find another decent one for love nor money at the moment.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Agree with above, that AVCHD needs special editing software, HD 720p(?) is more than adequate, the GPS eats batteries and I don’t really see the benefit. The only advantages I recall are stereo sound and the screen is a touch larger than The TZ7. As said, full of gimmicks that an average snapper isn’t going to use, we went for the TZ7 aswell.
    Possibly, if you’re into editing video, the AVCHD might be worth finding out more about, to see if you would use it.

stanfree
    Free Member

I got a panny Tz8 the other day which Is really good .

farmer-giles
    Free Member

i take it that an etch-a-sketch isn’t going to fulfil your brief, then?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m a very average snapper – so am now chekcing out the TZ7 – cheers guys.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Actually, I think it might be now TZ8.

The Canon S90 is worth looking at if the big optical zoom isn’t high on you’re wish list.
    If you want to stick with Panasonic, the equiv. to the S90 is the LX5 (or LX3), but I think the LX5 (or LX3) doesn’t have a built in flash, which might be an issue. Both cameras don’t have much of an optical zoom, but have bigger sensors, so should take closer to SLR quality pics.

stanfree
    Free Member

Tz8 replaced Tz6 and the Tz10 replaced the Tz7 but It seems a bit over the top with geo tagging etc.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Yep, in my post above I was comparing TZ10 to TZ8 (not TZ7). 😳
    We bought the TZ8.

2wheels1guy
    Free Member

I’ve just picked up a Lumix DMC FX40,
    Think it has HD filming.
    I love it, although i’m not a camera buff, it’s the best i’ve had.

Neil-F
    Free Member

I just got a Lumix DMC FS30
    http://www.cameras.co.uk/reviews/panasonic-dmc-fs30.cfm
    I wanted a fairly small compact with a fairly decent optical zoom additional to my fairly big Fuji S5600. fits the bill beautifully. 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Very impressed with my Canon S95.
    Amazing quality for such a small camera.

doc_blues
    Free Member

lumix fx66 – john lewis will price match and ‘tother half and her mother both bought them for about £149 because of this (cant remember who was selling them for that in the first place – but amazon have them on at £203 to £250 depending in colour. pretty good image quality and HD video I believe – and is tiny – good for snapping etc)

chakaping
    Free Member

Blimey, there’s so many Lumixes!

Is the FX66 the successor to the FX33?

If so that might be the model for me.

jwr

@DezB – superb aren’t they? I got rid of my TZ10 and bought an S95 – there’s a whole world of difference between them.

-j

Pauly

Looking at the S95 myself for when I can’t be arsed with carrying my DSLR. Only read very good things about it.

doc_blues
    Free Member

Is the FX66 the successor to the FX33?
    not sure – it seems pretty good for what it is – no manual though or flash hot shoe which puts me off (got a G9 for a compact) – however, my gf did get hers in pink to make sure I dont nick it!

Woody
    Free Member

Is this any good – I know nothing about cameras 😳

Onsale Monday 8th Nov in Lidl

jumping_flea
    Free Member

I have got the TZ10. Great camera, but people are right about the GPS, it eats the batteries and most of the time tagging never worked where I was (in NZ).

redthunder
    Free Member

Ixus of any kind 🙂

allthegear
    Free Member

I recently realised that my compact camera (Lumix something or other) wasn’nt actually any better than my iPhone 4 – so I just use that now. Does 720p video, too and geotags pictures and video as it goes.

Rachel

SuperScale20
    Free Member

We have the TZ10 great camera tagging works fine in the States and UK not been anywhere else yet. Why dont you go to retailer and try them all out?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Lost my compact camera – what to replace with?’ is closed to new replies.