Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Long travel Fork Advice
  • HansRey

Hi,

looking at getting some forks for new frame (marin quake 7.3). Fox 36 talas' seem to be the norm, but i haven't got the funds for those.

Should i go for…

RS Domain 302 coil (CRC) £195
    RS Totem Coil (Merlin) £360
    RS Lyric U-Turn (Merlin) £360
    RS Lyrik 2-Step Air (CRC) £425
    RS Lyrik Solo Air 2008 (CRC) £375

Are the Totems worth the extra investment compared to the domains? I'm getting 1.5'' forks which i can't transplant to the merlin.

Which of the Lyrics offers the best value? 2-step, U-Turn?

I'd like to keep the weight down, so the Lyrics seem best in that sense. But would i be stretching it's capabilities, as i'd like to ride DH again on this bike. The Totems seem best for that.

I'm trying to build a light DH-ish bike that i can ride out the peaks on, and spend a day at wharncliffe, hopton, NYM, etc with minimal faffing…
    What do you think?

HR

orange
    Free Member

lyrik u-turn, if it was me

Bagstard
    Free Member

If you don't need the u-turn I would go for the totem solo air. Very confidence inspiring, almost coil performance, can be tuned to suit whatever you are doing. Lyriks are also a good bet, but it depends how heavy you are and how far the forks will be pushed. Totems can be reduced internally to 160mm without too much trouble.

nicky84
    Free Member

I've got Domains on my sx trail – i'm mainly into freeride – they are bomb proof and super reliable but they are over six pounds and on the odd occasion i go for an all mountain ride its hard work – there is less to go wrong with them than other forks so freeriders do rave about them, i want to get some fox 36 vans though cos the extra pound makes a difference

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Totem Coil or Lyric U-turn. I've got the Lyrics and love them, although they do need a little bit of looking after to keep working really well.

Domain's are heavy (and have a lower spec damper), and I'd stay well away from the 2 step. If you want to do much serious climbing, then u-turn is worth having. Not ridden the solo airs so can't comment.

IA

Got totem solo airs on my DH bike (a socom) ace fork, no issues in 2 years (though I service them regularly).

Lyriks on a bike to ride up hills too mind.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

£360 for U-Turn Lyriks? I don't think so. I can only see them for £650-ish on Merlin right now……. 😕

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

And those £425 2-step Lyriks are 1.5in steerer only, you do realise that don't you??

EDIT
    And so are the Solo Airs

You're a lucky git if you have a 1.5in headtube bike, mind! 😀

EDIT 2
    Seems Quakes are 1.5in bikes. Lucky git!
    Fill yer boots!
    IMO those Lyrics are a silly bargain at that price, any of them!

HansRey

yep, 1.5'' steerers, hence low pricing. prices correct at time of writing, with additional discount

hora
    Free Member

RS Lyric U-Turn (Merlin) £360

Eek! Why are you waiting? Are you mad? Order them.

🙄 2steps- read the reviews 🙄

Or if climbings not a biggie- solo air 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you can get coil Lyric U-turns for £360, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR??!! 🙂

I'd rip their arms off at that price!

HansRey

right then people, just ordered the lyric uturns. At £360 i know they're an absolute steal. I was stalling because domains are cheaper, and mean i won't have to be extremely frugal before the student loan comes in….

oh well, damage done now!!!! can't wait for them to arrive. Thank you all for your help, and i'll let you know how they are. I'll post up a build pic too

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Long travel Fork Advice’ is closed to new replies.