Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Long term SRAM road users
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Is shifting achievable when the cables are worn, or if there’s other wear in the train?
    With Shimano you can persuade them to shift with extra pressure on the levers, can you do that with SRAM or is it a case of keeping it finely tuned.
    Though all a bit academic as the first SRAM bike is on it’s way.

Spud

Dunno, I’ll get back to you in a few months! 😉

daleftw
    Free Member

What Spud said 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve been using Red on my last two bikes, perfect, bit clunky and not as smooth as Shim, but when it’s set right it shifts and holds well. I like it

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

SRAM Rival you can persuade them to shift with a bit of extra pressure

smell_it
    Free Member

Been running a set of 2009 red on one of my race bikes, since oddly early 2009. Still running without issue, I replaced this on the main race bike with 2011 red last year. Certainly not as smooth as shimano, but I rather like it’s clunky feel, more similar to campy to me.
    I’ve also had rival on the trainer/winter bike for 2 years and again no complaints. I know sram has it’s haters, but it’s done fine by me and not skipped a beat when racing. The front mechs are shite though, I’ve replaced all with ultegra on all bikes.
    Is it more betterer than shimano or campy; no probably not, but it’s working fine for me and looks great!

boblo
    Free Member

Campy? Are your American? That’ll be Campag dontachaknow for the Brits… tsskk…kidzzzz… 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

smell_it

Which model number front mech did you use to replace the SRAM ones with?

I believe the 6600 and 6700 have different cable pull ratios?

Ta

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I guess you are talking SRAM double tap?

I really like how they work. Been using them for nearly a year, and so far no probs.

smell_it
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – just checked my crc history and it’s the 6600.

boblo – my apologies, phone auto correct, I just couldn’t be bothered to put it right.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

When cables are worn shifting becomes really bad. Especially on the front mech. Seems to go through cables quicker than Shimano does. Not really sure whey.

Just my experience. Have used for road and cross. Back on dura ace or ultegra on all bikes now though.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thank you!

bonj
    Free Member

be careful if a sram shifter’s cable is getting stiff, I have had one (the RHS/rear one) snap off before when doing a downshift. SS time, just hope you’re not in the middle of nowhere at night in a hilly area.

with shimano the distance from pivot to where you press it is longer. plus they seem to get issues with upshifting long before it gets stiff enough – problem with sram, it’s *too* precise.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Long term SRAM road users’ is closed to new replies.