Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Long term opinions on Charge saddles?
  • Reluctant
    Free Member

My old Flite looks so crap it's time to go by-bys soon. I'm looking at a Charge Knife, as it's cheap,light n looks ok. I'm put off by the ammount of stitching on the top and the stapled construction underneath. So has anyone had one long term, and how's it surviving? What about alternative recommendations for my Flite-shaped arse?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I had a Spoon for quite a while. Sold it in the end because it was just too 'flat' for me. Like sitting on a plank. All my bikes now have £20 Bel Airs. 🙂

robgarrioch

Can't comment on the 'Knife' – put a £20 spoon on my pitch last March, now have one on my other bike too. Good quality, put up with moderate treatment, right shape for me. Good brand.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Hey Giler!

I used Flites for years and have SLRs on my road bikes. I've used a Charge Spoon on my cx bike for over 18 months now and it's one of the most comfy saddles I've ever had – and dead cheap too (I paid about £18 iirc). Recommended!!

Reluctant
    Free Member

Gilo! All good, mate?
    If a Spoon has survived 18 months of Bristol cyclo-cross action, they can't be too bad. After riding Flites, Flites and more bloody Flites since 1992, I'm really not wanting to change, but old faithful's letting the side down.
    Know what you mean about "flat", PP, but hope it'll be ok for me. I remember the BelAir having a little kick up at the end which I didn't get on with.
    Cheers, all.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

+1 for the spoon. I've had mine for two years and only damage was self inflicted but the hole hasn't got any bigger and its still very comfy.

IdleJon

reluctant, I'm the same as you, always liked Flites, but I can sit on (almost) anything without too many problems.

I've had a Knife on my HT, but only for a couple of months – so far the stitching is ok, and it's as comfortable as any other saddle as I've ridden in the last few years.

The best compliment I can give it is that I don't notice it, and it doesn't get in the way when I move about on the bike. It's pretty light as well.

But as I said, my bum isn't too sensitive.

DT78
    Free Member

Have a spoon on the XC (mileage) hardtail and an Bel Air ti on the full suss. Both are pretty comfy, Bel air cost more and has started creaking badly. I'll be replacing it with a spoon.

Northwind

How long is longterm? My Spoon's about a year old, so a few thousand miles on and off road, it's gone a wee bit shiny but it still works perfectly. My Knife's newer, maybe 500 miles but a few decent crashes, it's rashed up but it's held together and again, still works perfectly. If I kill either, I'll get another the same, they're very good.

The Knife's not a comfort saddle. That is, it's not uncomfortable but it's not comfortable either, you just need to be the right shape for it. I am, and it suits me perfectly but some people find them uncomfortable due to the lack of shaping and the very thin padding. Spoon suits more bottoms I reckon.

Alcopop
    Free Member

had a spoon on my hardtail for the past year,comfiest saddle i've ever had
    and for £20 it's worth a try

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Yeah all good here mate, fitness is shite at the mo as I bought a shiny new Kawasaki ZX6R back in the Spring and I've spent most of the Summer on that playing over in Wales. Now the roads are cold and greasy it's going into mothballs and I need to get some cycling fitness back. Did a session on the track in Newport on Sunday which was cool, but God was I slow!!

How's things with you? Get back to Bris much?

Reluctant
    Free Member

Thanks all for the comments.
    Gilo – stalked you on Facebook and sent an invite 😉

Sam

Long time Flite guy and recently had a knife on for a few months and it's probably the closest current saddle I've found. Also like the San Marco Zoncolan but that's a bit more minimalist – feels a lot like an old flite alpes though (god I wish I'd never sold my cream one!)

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Invite accepted 😀

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Spoon for just under 2 years – still going strong, no probs

Clink

Had spoon for last year and a half. Don't notice it, never caused any problems. Recommended.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Spoon here too. Cant go wrong for 20 notes or so.

takisawa2

I've switched my FS & road-bike to Charge Spoons. Find them comfy.
    Going to start an argument no doubt, but I have Ti & Cro-Mo versions & in MY OPINION the Ti is more comfy.

On the off-chance your local to Staffs I've a spare Cro-Mo Spoon destined for a SS you could try out.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Had a Charge Knife for 6 months – I find it very comfortable. Seems well made too.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

had a spoon for 20months on my only bike. done 12hr races on it, its comfy and well recommended 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Long term opinions on Charge saddles?’ is closed to new replies.