Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • long rides, fast and enduro events
  • shortbaldone
    Free Member

hardtail versus FS been done to death i know but what about when you go to the top end of both. For events as mentioned above and also for grin factor
    Very best custom built ti-hardtail, indy fab type OR top end 4″ full susser like a yeti or 5″ spicey type
    Given 3-4k to spend and only one bike, which would it be and why?

Filthy
    Free Member

My Cannondale Rush fits the bill perfectly and didn’t cost me anywhere near 3k. If I was spending that kind of mony I’d get another one and build it even lighter and faster for racing, at the moment is a bit more hardcore weighing in at 28lb on 2.4 tyres.

I suppose the deciding factor would be how bumpy is the course, a Ti hardtail could well be quicker on smooth stuff but I’d still be riding full sus.

Feldo
    Free Member

I’ve got a Yeti ASR-C and a Scott Scale. Horses for courses as Filthy says. On anything bumpy and undulating, I’ll go with the Yeti, on fast flat stuff it’s the hardtail. Bottom line, nice choice to be able to make….but I still rode my early 90’s fully rigid Marin Muirwoods at Mayhem a couple of years back and had a great time. Hopefully you’ll be having fun whatever you ride.

shortbaldone
    Free Member

how good do you find the yeti? is it standing up to much and is it as fast as the write ups? would love to get a test ride on one but not been able to (small size)have heard a couple of incidents of broken ones early on?

njee20
    Free Member

It’s gotta be FS, most courses now are favouring FS, and their prevalence at the top end of the sport is becoming more and more marked.

There are still some courses which may favour a hardtail, but for longer events the reduced fatigue from FS has got the worth it.

Wouldn’t want more than 4″ though, Yeti, Epic, Top Fuel, Titus X etc are all worth a look! £4000 should get you a 23lb-24lb bike if you spec it carefully.

aP
    Free Member

Intense Spider FRO.
    Fast, 4″ travel, light.

njee20
    Free Member

If you’re spending that sort of money and weight matters I’d look at the MSC Karbon Koncept, they are incredibly light.

I’ve yet to work out what they’ve done to make it so light, may be bushes not bearings in the pivots, they may be super flexy, or they may snap if you look at them strangely, but they’re very light!

Feldo
    Free Member

The Yeti exceeded my expectations…it’s early days so the durability has yet to be properly tested, but if trimming the seat mast is anything to go by, the carbon frame material is damn tough. I’ve not particularly been a weight weenie, but the build came in at just sub 22 lbs on a medium frame.

Pricey8
    Free Member

with that sort of money you can afford a light full sus that will be as light as a hard tail and although the sports science research i have read does not suggest full sus is any faster it definatly makes you faster on the downhills and gives you more traction on the ups and if you have a decent shock you can fully lock it out so you then have what is pretty much a hard tail with a bit extra weight. I too currentl have new bike fever and really fancy a yeti asr sl.

njee20
    Free Member

Where I notice the biggest difference is not in descending, but climbing, where you can keep the power on much more than you can on a hardtail, which starts bouncing off things much more easily.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

these days, probably a fs,
    i have a scott spark, full xtr, reba world cups, light wheels etc. at a bit under 22 lb’s

as njee said, the msc is very light.
    dougal from on here has one (Rides for i cycles/msc) had it weighed at the 1st nps, at 20.5 lb’s.
    person who weighed it was gutted when his new style (09) top spec carbon epic (a bit like njee’s)
    was 2.5lbs heavier!!

and the fs makes up for the marginal weight difference on longer rides./enduro’s.

as listed, new epic, new trek top fuel, scott spark, titus x, the new tomac seen here http://www.singletrackworld.com/2009/04/sea-otter-2009-report-one/
    something in the 4 inch travel range. wouldn’t want much more than that.

mrmo
    Free Member

I find my Top Fuel saves my back a little, the constant bumps of long races caused pain after a while. Particularly when the climbs were 15km+

njee20
    Free Member

I like that story Oli, lets get things straight though 😉

I weighed Dougal’s MSC at NPS1, as I wanted to see how light it was, knowing the frames are crazy light, it was indeed 20.5.

My Epic was 21.3, so 0.8lbs heavier, not 2.5lbs. I wasn’t gutted either, as I know how light those MSCs are. There’s gotta be a catch though!

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

i’m sure he mentioned 23lb’s. hey ho.
    its standing up well, doesn’t seem quite so fragile (Well not yet anyway). time will tell…

njee20
    Free Member

There were several Anthem X.0s being weighed at the time, they were around 23-24, Mark Hutt was pretty gutted to find that out about his, perhaps it was him they were thinking of.

Andrew Howett’s Yeti’s light too, the bar really has shifted massively in the last couple of years. I must get a test ride on an MSC, I’d be very tempted if I can get one on the cheap!

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

i’ll have to borrow these scales at the next nps to check mine 😀

shortbaldone
    Free Member

yeti is the only thibg i will get standover on at 5ft 5 and 29inch inside leg

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘long rides, fast and enduro events’ is closed to new replies.