Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Long drive tomorrow, full of a cold.
  • seadog101

Help, got to drive Poole to County Durham tomorrow. I’m full of a cold and feel rubbish. Helpful tips and encouragement needed….

cheekyboy
    Free Member

A real Seadog would never confess to having cold, man up you landlubber !

bigG
    Free Member

Water, coffee, ginsters and a hearty dose of MTFU ought to be sufficient. Poole to Co Durham? I thought you said it was a long drive? Why not just ride your bike and exercise your weak girlie cold out of your system?

wallop

Cos it’s all uphill?

djglover
    Free Member

M…

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

take the scenic route

matt_outandabout

T

dawson

F..

cheekyboy
    Free Member

U

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

If you’re really THAT bad…don’t do it.

But…if you must…

Get a good night’s sleep tonight, if you feel RUBBISH in the morning, have a slow start to the day, take any medication required to clear your nose/head etc. and don’t start to drive until you feel capable of it.

Eat breakfast. Even if you don’t feel like it.

If you do start your journey:

Keep the car window closed and rely on the air conditioning for temperature control (studies show that road noise from an open window increases driver fatigue).

Construct a playlist of familiar music to play on the motorways, again studies show that singing along to familiar songs prolongs a drivers attention span.

Take regular breaks, drink plenty of water and CHECK ANY MEDICATION you take for whether or not it causes drowsiness…if it does, don’t take it!

Hope that helps…

restless
    Free Member

I have a long drive tomorrow too, for a week camping.
    I have also had a night out tonight so not gonna feel good in the morning, but it is my own fault 🙁

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Next Friday I have an 11 hour drive up to Scotland, bealach mor sportiv on Saturday, and then an 11 hour drive home again on Sunday. No cold yet though.

Lemsip Max works well for me, although I think some of that is physcological.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Construct a playlist of familiar music to play on the motorways, again studies show that singing along to familiar songs prolongs a drivers attention span

This is so very true. I drive a lot of miles for work (around 30-35 k per year normally) and really notice this. I like repetitive beats and often have various D&B podcasts on, but they worsen my drowsiness if I am flagging. Stick on some well-known favourites and it normally gets my brain back into gear.

thegreatape
    Free Member

If you eat a whole packet of Fisherman’s Friends (the original ones, not the modern ladies ones) then any ailment of the head will be cured. Fact.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

53 hours across the US (Ridgecrest CA to Ottawa), with my girlfriend…
    Red Bull + a big handfull of Skittles. Keeps you wired for two hours…
    When you start to shake, the sugar is wearing off, (normally after about 2hours), so wake up the other person and swap.
    If you’re on your own only try this twice! Then sleep.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Once you have constructed a playlist why don`t you fabricate a pretend associate to whom you can pontificate on where not to defecate.

hoodie
    Free Member

Devon to ballater aberdeenshire…with a 9 mth old..that’s a long drive. Mtfu

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Ummm…has anyone seen Seadog then?

After seeing that M6 lorry crash video I’m worried for the guy…then again…if he was taking the M6 to get from Poole to Co Durham…well…I’d have to accuse him of being ‘navigationally embarassed’.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Long drive tomorrow, full of a cold.’ is closed to new replies.