Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Long distance cyclist
  • Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I stepped out of the office about an hour ago and there was a bloke with a heavily laden Surley Long Haul Trucker, turns out he was on his way to Dover and from there across Northern Europe and then up through Scandanavia – planning on wild camping along the way

Filled with envy I wished him the best and headed back to stare at my computer screen

ourmaninthenorth

You have described my current state of mind.

From behind my computer screen.

grim168
    Free Member

Met a girl called Michelle at lands end signpost a couple of years ago. There’s us ready to embark on a tough manly challenge (lejog) she had pedalled from ……………. brisbane !

pjt201
    Free Member

He wasn’t an eastern european bloke who had started in Bristol was he? Bloke from the news agents next door to my office set off a couple of weeks back on a very similar trip and the same bike…

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I often dream of doing something similar myself. 😥

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m sick of dreaming – I fly out to Virginia in June to ride across the States to Oregon. Then probably a spin down the Pacific coast to Marin. If there is still time maybe some rides over into Washington too.

13thfloormonk

I was in Crianlarich with my backpacking gear a couple of weekends ago when my mate texted to tell me we were starting a period of redundancy consultations at the office. Temptation to fill the rucsac with porridge and pasta and just yomp of into the distance was painfully strong.

Will just have to settle for 8 or 9 days in Knoydart in September 8)

Pigface
    Free Member

I did the west coast of america last year 😀 Vancouver to the Mexican border if I can do it anyone can.

http://www.richardlldavies.wordpress.com

I’m currently 607th on BikeJournal.
    1st place has done 11177km so far this year. 😯
    http://www.bikejournal.com/stat.asp?numRider=1

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

He was from Glasgow, got a mate to drop him off in the south yesterday and set off.

He said last year he rode across Canada doing the same thing.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Richard,

I enjoyed reading your blog. I did tell this guy that I was reading Kok and Tvatt and told him about that too as it seemed to be the opposite.

neilthewheel

Gee-Jay – Yay! Thanks for the mention – it means I can now legitimately plug my book on Singletrackworld…
    So for those who haven’t heard of it…Kök & Tvätt – Through Scandinavia on a Tandem [url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/K%C3%B6k-Tv%C3%A4tt-Through-Scandinavia-Tandem/dp/B0046H9ZA4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294299673&sr=1-1]kindle edition[/url]
    It’s also out there in paperback if you search for it!

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Neil, my pleasure, am enjoying the way you phrase things 🙂

I couldnt find the scandinavian keyboard to get the umlauts(?) on the words

Hairychested
    Free Member

The paper version – here.

feenster
    Free Member

I’ve got 4 weeks off work to tour Kyrgyzstan in July.

Got a mid 90’s specialized hardrock frame from my local bike recycling project in Edinburgh for £40, built it up with some up to date mtb kit, including a set of 36h Rigida Big Bulls (dh wheels!) built by Al at wheelcraft. Very Strong wheels.

Good geometry for a touring bike, bike possible a little flexi, so a few loaded test runs will have to decide if it makes the trip, or my old Orange p7 instead.

Can’t wait.

neilthewheel

I couldnt find the scandinavian keyboard to get the umlauts(?) on the words

Hmmm – I assume you’re reading on Kindle? I don’t actually have one – I downloaded it to Kindle on Windows and it gave me the Scandinavian alphabets automatically. Amazon may be able to shed light on this. Worth finding out – there are some good Umlaut jokes!

iainc

neil – ordered a paper one earlier – out of stock at mo at Amazon but hoping it comes in soon ! 😆

neilthewheel

iainc – I’ll buy you a pint next time I see you! Amazon don’t keep them in, they order through an intermediate supplier when they receive the orders. I wonder if I’ll hear from them? Hey ho…

iainc

😆

druidh
    Free Member

Meh – I cycled from Edinburgh to California, Moscow and back to Edinburgh last year. Apart from some strange cultural differences and dealing with the language barrier it was no big deal.

neilthewheel

I cycled from Edinburgh to California, Moscow and back to Edinburgh last year.

Most of that’s sea, isn’t it? 🙂

stevie750

I met these people a few years ago in dumfries

rowed trip

It’s only part bike but still pretty impressive

aracer
    Free Member

Not quite as long as some of those, but right now my mates are riding JoG to LE, but doing it in 2.5 days. The thing is, they’re sandwiching that between running the Bob Graham Round on Monday/Tuesday and kayaking the Devizes to Westminster race on Saturday/Sunday.

Home

wallop

He wasn’t an eastern european bloke who had started in Bristol was he? Bloke from the news agents next door to my office set off a couple of weeks back on a very similar trip and the same bike…

That wouldn’t be Merchant News, would it?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Long distance cyclist’ is closed to new replies.