Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • London to Cardiff road trip … Where to ride?
  • Fat-boy-fat

Hey there, the missus and I are trucking from London to Cardiff over the period of a week in the Autumn and I’m looking for ideas for escape. Proper Northern me, so no idea where to ride. Any suggestions?

molgrips
    Free Member

You mean you are driving, or riding? You could ride a lot of it off-road…

wiggles
    Free Member

A week? Are you driving a horse?

welshfarmer

While looking at the maps I noticed there is a route that follows the Kennet & Avon canal from Reading to Bristol, so this might be a good starting point.

Fat-boy-fat

Driving between the two but looking for a couple of days out. Any suggestions?

nickjb
    Free Member

There’s a few places for a quick blast along the way. Bracknell/Swinley, Swindon/The famous woods, Bristol/Ashton Court, but personally I’d get over the bridge and head to the Forest of Dean, Cwmcarn or Brecon Beacons for a proper ride

danradyr1
    Free Member

I agree with Nick. Head to FOD then Cwmcarn, BPW, Afan and once you’ve had enough of the trail centres buy a map and cycle the Beacons. If you are staying around Cardiff there are also excellent trails around Caerphilly.

antigee

will admit to knowing nothing about Forest of Dean stuff but pic’s I’ve seen look good – lived down that way before started riding MTB and there are stacks of good pubs and small towns in the Wye valley – don’t know what sort of places plan on staying but St Briavels YHA is a real castle

and then there is the Brecon Beacons again other than an odd classic not that familiar

and of course there is Swindon

Moses

or if you wanted fast’n’easy you could come off the M4 at the A34 (Oxford / Newbury), drive 5 miles N to ride along the Ridgeway for a while.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

or if you wanted fast’n’easy you could come off the M4 at the A34 (Oxford / Newbury), drive 5 miles N to ride along the Ridgeway for a while.

Also some lovely riding to be had on/around the Ridgeway near to Swindon/Marlborough area. A very nice ride can be had out of Bishopstone, up and over by Waylands Smithy and back. Good recovery fluids can be found at the Royal Oik in Bishopstone on your return.

senorj

I would recommend spending at least a day in the Quantocks.
    A small diversion,but really worth it if you do a little research….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘London to Cardiff road trip … Where to ride?’ is closed to new replies.