Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • London – Brighton- what tyres?
  • Ambrose

Seriously- what tyres should I fit to my DT 4.2D rims for this one off ride. I'm doing it as a bit of a favour for my brother in law so I can't get out of it much as I might like to.

I need cheap, fast rolling tyres.

Any suggestions?

soobalias
    Free Member

you wont need them to be fast.

run what you brung.

jond
    Free Member

Seriously? – ones that go round 😉

There'll be about 30(?) miles in the middle that you'll be able to get a decent speed up for, but out of London and into Brighton (plus the the few steep hills on the way) – it'll be dead slow. Unless he's on a roadbike or particularly quick, not sure I'd bother changing 'em, just pump 'em up bloomin' hard..

andrewh
    Free Member

Just stick your old ones one. Jond is right, but no pint wrecking the tread of a nice set of knobblies. If you have any Schwalbes or Tiogas especially keep away from the tarmac. Panaracers seem a bit more long lasting, probably down to harder rubber compounds.

singletracksurfer
    ourmaninthenorth

Conti sport contacts in 26×1.3" flavour.

Get them from the Highonbikes ebay shop.

glenncampbell

If you're doing the road version just chuck on some cheap slicks – Specialized are easy to fit and for £10 – £15 each not much cost. For the off road version it isn't technical so semi slicks are fine – just imagine a loooooong canal path with two hills and 2 km of trail and you'll be there!

jond
    Free Member

If you get some slicks – make sure you take some tyre levers, some slicks are an absolute git to remove once they're on.

One alternative – some cheap/decent (wirebead?) knobblies that'll stand up to some road use, if you're unlikely to use the slicks again afterwards.

sofatester
    Free Member

you wont need them to be fast.

run what you brung

+1

Ambrose

Cheers folks.

I was unaware of an 'offroad' option. Now the ride seems a bit less tedious.

spooky_b329

Its not an offroad option, its a different event albeit for the same cause. Assuming you already have a place for L2B, you gotta stick with the road option!

Halfords have 'buy one get one half price' deals on cycle stuff at the moment, including tyres. Online deal only but you can 'reserve and collect' them and just pick up and pay at the nearest store with stock.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘London – Brighton- what tyres?’ is closed to new replies.