• This topic has 22 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by xcgb.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Log splitting tools
  • xcgb
    Free Member

What do folks use? I have been using a grenade (not the military kind!) but i find it fiddly

It seems a waste to buy a specific splitting maul when a large axe is always gonna be useful!

ta

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Splitting maul also an excavator with a construction bucket on makes a good splitting tool 🙂

xcgb
    Free Member

excavator with a construction bucket on makes a good splitting tool

Doubt i’d get that in my garden though!

bristolbiker
    Free Member

It seems a waste to buy a specific splitting maul when a large axe is always gonna be useful!

What are you using your large axe for? If you have a chainsaw for felling and sizing the logs and a maul for splitting, I can’t see how a felling axe will get more use than a maul? Splitting maul and a small hand axe for splitting kindling are all I use, hand tool wise (apart from log tongs, breaker bar, wedges, hammer for the wedges….. oh, the list goes on!!! 🙂

xcgb
    Free Member

I use a large bowsaw to cut down, i got the fear using a chain saw although it was only a cheapie

I guess the right tool for the job rule applyies!

JEngledow
    Free Member

How about one of these:

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Leaving aside the chainsaw issue then…..

IME, grenades are just a PITA, even when working with free splitting wood. If you’ve been using this and and/or felling axe for splitting, then a decent maul will be a revelation (once you get your eye in).

Whisper it quietly, but the cheapo composite bonded handle jobs that B+Q do for ~£15/£20 are more than adequate for occasional use 😉

organic355
    Free Member

electric log splitter 5 tonne or greater.

yeah yeah I know, using electricity is against the ethos of having a wood burning stove, but I damaged my wrist last time I was using a splitting maul, and at 2kwh and and hours use every time is isnt going to break the bank or cause too much CO2 emmissions especially as I am on a green electricity tarriff.

xcgb
    Free Member

Bristol
    Cheers its occasional use so i’ll look at those

Organic there is no power anywhere near my log store so thats out i’m afraid, anyway there is nowt more satisfying than splitting logs the manly way whilst wearing a check shirt!

xcgb
    Free Member

JEngledow

She needs some proper safety gear, those boots are useless!

bristolbiker
    Free Member

….there is nowt more satisfying than splitting logs the manly way whilst wearing a check shirt!

….apart from Jengledow’s solution….

passtherizla
    Free Member

Maul everytime.

camo16
    Free Member

A tight butt pinch works for me.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I started going to Karate classes when I was a kid. My mum just wanted to buy me the belt, but dad insisted I went.

20 years later, I’m a 3rd dan black belt. I split logs with my fists.

xcgb
    Free Member

Camo whatever floats…..

xcgb
    Free Member

20 years later, I’m a 3rd dan black belt. I split logs with my fists.

How much per tonne?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I used a maul for a time – I found too much shock transmitted thru its fibreglass handle. I now prefer a wooden handle 5lb felling axe. It’s on the wimpish side of manly 7lb version. And a decent sledgehammer and wedges for the ones you can see will be awkward.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I hear these work quite well:

ditch_jockey

Don’t buy a felling axe to split wood – they’re each designed for a different purpose and the head/blade has a different shape suited to the intended use.

Granfors Bruks Large Splitting Axe

Have cut large quantities of wood using this, while watching friends labour away with cheaper fibreglass handled mauls. If you get a decent whetstone and learn to keep the edge keen, you’ll not need anything else.

Get yourself a tartan shirt as well, and you’ll pull in the ladies from miles around – they can scent the manliness on the wind 🙂

Drac

I use a splitting Maul and for when things are proving tricky log grenades and a 16lb Maul does the job well. Grenades are simple, stab them into the wood and the welly with the maul, job done.

monkfish
    Free Member

I use an 8lb splitting maul that copes with the majority of the logs I chop in a couple of swings, for knotty logs that are trickier I just bung them over the fence and forget about them. There is a technique though because the first time I used it I may as well have used a rubber chicken.

I find an axe tends to stick in the wood too much for my liking.

JEngledow
    Free Member

I split logs with my fists

In that case, how about one of these:

xcgb – sorry for yet more inappropriate footwear!

xcgb
    Free Member

Will no one think of the footwear!…….. she’ll be falling in that pool getting all wet if she’s not careful

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Log splitting tools’ is closed to new replies.