Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Lochs and Glens North planning
  • mikedoubleu
    Free Member

Has anyone done this route? I’m planning on doing it over 3.5 days in early May with a mixed ability group ranging from “will my carbon road bike be ok?” to “I think my mountain bike must be in the shed, I haven’t seen it for years”

What’s the route like? Seems to be a fair percentage off “traffic free” sections… Are these just tow-path or waggonway type things or is there any more interest to the route. There’s a few distilleries on the route and it passes close to Laggan I think. Anything else I should know? B&B and cafe recommendations most welcome.

Road, 26 carbon full suss or 29er alu hardtail? Depends whether I can work in time for Laggan doesnt it?

Cheers

Mike

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve cycled most of it.

A road bike will struggle on some of the off-road sections, notably the Callendar – Killin bit and over the Dukes Pass north of Aberfoyle.

The cycle path alongside the A9 at Drumochter has mostly been upgraded and a large section has been tarmaced. Having said that, I did all of that bit on a road bike last summer (pre-tarmac) and it was fine, if a little uncomfy.

If you have the capability, take the off-road option from Carrbridge to Slochd too.

It’s a nice route though – well worth doing as it takes you through some really nice parts of the country.

Accomodation/cafe recommendations will be easier once you have an outline plan of the route. Be aware that there is nothing north of Blair Atholl until you reach the meagre facilities of Dalwhinnie.

mikedoubleu
    Free Member

We’re thinking gathering during day at Inverness. Then having a shorter afternoon ride to Boat of Garten / Aviemore once everyone’s arrived.. Further over nights at Pitlochry then Callendar before finishing in Glasgow. Sound like a reasonable way to break the trip up?

Looks like there’s always a road alternative for my skinny wheeled friends, though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Callender / Killin Druidh? the sustrans route? I thought it would be OK on road tyres when I did it a couple of years ago. I was on MTB tyres tho

You meaning 23 mm tyres?

druidh
    Free Member

TBH – some of the road sections are “less than pleasant”, and I say that as an experienced road tourer. Certainly stay off the A9, and the A84round Loch Lubnaig is a bit of a race-track.

Are you sure you want to go North-South? I’d say that heading North was a more pleasurable experience and you are also then likely to have the wind behind you all/most of the way.

Loads of accommodation in Aviemore. The Bunkhouse seems to get decent reviews and I always recommend the Cairngorm Hotel if your budget will stretch to it. There’s a nice wee cafe in Carrbridge too – good cake and soup.

If you end up stopping in Blair Atholl, Dalgriene Guest House gets my vote. Very bike friendly. Decent food at the Atholl Arms too. I don’t really like Pitlochry or Callander – just too busy/too touristy. But then that also means you have lots of choice when it comes to rooms and food.

TJ – I’m assuming that road bike = 23mm

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ok – 23 mm tyre might be a bit rough

i remeber it as a smooth gravel surface at worst – tarmac in some places.

I think Druidh is right about going south to north

AlasdairMc

The section between Callander and Strathyre has a few sections that slicks might be a bit rubbish on although most of it is disused railway path. Also, the old A9 over Drumochter is rough in places where the Tarmac is just wearing away.

Great route though, Sustrans have a gem of a ride in that.

Cake-wise, you MUST go to Inshriach just South of Aviemore.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am harking on about this as I really enjoyed riding this section

Photo of the track near balquidder station

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2245696
    and further south

Steep Section on Callander to Strathyre Cycleway

druidh
    Free Member

The section from the top of Glen Ogle to Killin was pretty much a mudbath when I went over it a couple of months back.

The bit over the Dukes Pass is on a big forest road – it’s not smoothly graded for skinny tyres. Some of the Callander – Strathyre section is also pretty poor.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

fairy snuff – its a couple of years ago I did it

wallace1492
    Free Member

Did Callander – Strathyre on CX last year, was rough in places, but ok. For Dukes Pass, better off sticking to road, its not terribly busy.

mikedoubleu
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice chaps. Sounds not dissimilar to the waggonways we have round here in the NE England then. Cinder tracks- some that’s been sanitised to tarmac and some that is just being left to deteriorate.

I’m probably going to take my 29er, good for the long miles and tough enough for the rough stuff. We are going to do N to S so we finish in Glasgow. People to meet us there and easier for everyone to get back home all over the country for work the next day.

Any more cake advice? I foresee much cake being eaten. And espresso based beverages…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

there is a cake wagon usually at the car park after the climb south of Killin. Coffee and cake available there

druidh
    Free Member

You might enjoy this:
    http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/p/a9-mini-tour.html
    …a wee write-up of a two-day trip I did from Edinburgh to Inverness which used some of NCN7

Some more eateries in Aviemore:

Mountain Cafe (fantastic range of food for all dietary types, including fantastic cake)
    The Cafaidh above Active Outdoor Pursuits (more good cake and brilliant, filling soup).
    The Old Bridge Inn (Fantastic quality, if a bit dearer)
    Roos Leap in the old station building. (Basic food but in humungous, cyclist-friendly quantities.)
    The Italian on the roundabout does an all-you can-eat buffet in the evenings.

mikedoubleu
    Free Member

Enjoyed geograph, TJ. Not seen that before, thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Lochs and Glens North planning’ is closed to new replies.