Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Lochnagar to Loch Coulter
  • ss
    Free Member

How is this path? Any idea on how rideable it is would be appreciated.

Also, is there any snow up top at the moment?

Cheers

scotroutes

I don’t know about the path but there is no snow at the moment. I believe we are expecting some this week.

Mat

I assume you mean loch Callater? (apologies if not) not ridden it for a good 4 years but yeah it’s ridable, I’ve only done it lochnagar to loch callater though, I think there were one or two bits I needed to dismount for but no pushing/shouldering. This wasn’t the case to get up lochnagar though!

scotroutes, I always thought you were Druidh?

Mat

ss
    Free Member

Yes, sorry I mean Callater (not sure where I got Coulter from?!)

Thanks, good news about the path to Callater being rideable.

Is Lochnagar a tough climb from the north east side? I’ve only done it before from Glas Allt which was steep but with some decent sized rideable chunks in it.

This coming Saturday I’m thinking of doing Braemar-Gelder Burn-Lochnagar- Loch Callater-A93 with Morrone thrown in if the legs have anything left. Is this too big an undertaking for November? The three of us are fairly strong but used to much shorter rides than this.

Is Morrone better descended to the north east?

Cheers

Mat

Yeah, I’d say a large proportion of that North East path is unridable (bolder field with rock steps as you get closer to the top). If you check an OS map you can see there’s a path that contours round from that track onto the Glas-Alt-Shiel approach, which is more rideable. I’ve not ridden Morrone, when I did that route there wasn’t really much left in the tank!

It’s not really for me to say whether it’s suitable for the time of year but bear in mind sunset is 4.20pm up here at the moment and you’re a long way from anything once you start pushing west of lochnagar! Plan accordingly! I’d get onto the north side of the river on the road back into Braemar to avoid the fast traffic if you don’t do Morrone.

scotroutes

??

Mat

Don’t ask me why! Evidently not!

scotroutes

Why not??

Mat

Right I’ve just had a look at your posting history, it was the post about the pentlands Google Earth route maps. I’m sure that was druidh who made that then revoked it when they were getting chewed up too badly – anyway, that’s why I thought that was the case!

Mat

… And I thought druidh had ridden the route described by the OP.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Both Druidh & Scotroutes have ridden there (probably) 🙂

Mat

I see! (Sorry for the tangent OP)

scotroutes

What’s said up there about snow?

Well,….. it’s arrived.

Stu_N

“rode” this on Saturday. Climb from Invercauld is fairly rideable to above pony shelter at about 700m, beyond that about 50:50 to plateau on a good day. On Sat the wind was horrendous even on lee side so nipped over t-Saigart Mor and down to Callater. So windy we could hardly stand and my bike got blown off the ground a couple of times and I got blown over too. Top of descent is quite steppy/slabby, unrideable in conditions as couldn’t control the bike at all. Lower down its narrow bouldery singletrack, quite trialsy in spots but mostly rideable on a goood day then opens out and speeds up down to the loch. I reckon could ride 75% up and 75% down without gale force winds. Lochnagar is fairly good going until final pull up to summit; quite rocky there but only short carry.

Would think very very seriously about doing such a big committing loop this time of year – was 60-70mph winds and 1°C on summit and you only have daylight until about 4.15. Also nav isn’t straightforward especially if cloud is in and you’re a long way from base if you hurt yourself or break a bike.

Morrone is much easier proposition, good land rover track (if very steep in places and an entertaining descent – and your summit is 300m lower than Lochnagar.

Stu_N

Update – we came up the ridge to below Carn an t-Saigart Mor which is different approach – path goes all the way up to the plateau but only shown up to about 750m on map. That’s the most rideable way up IME. The NE ridge is hard pull at the end.

If there’s snow up there wouldn’t even consider it.

ss
    Free Member

Ok, cheers for the good intel guys.

I’ll make a decision late on and have an alternative sorted incase of low cloud, wind, snow etc.

Any suggestions for a less exposed but nice big day out in the area? Possibly a lower level ride of about 40-50km then adding on Morrone at the end?

Cheers

highlandman
    Free Member

ss, 40-50km in these hills in winter is a huge ride, I’d respectfully suggest that at this time of year it is a bit too ambitious. Stu, Andy and the boys discovered this at the weekend and there’s plenty more snow now forecast. Days are too short for that sort of riding and Lochnagar would be very tricky navigation in poor viz. I’ve ridden it several times and can recommend Mat’s approach route as the best.
    Start at Braemar, go to Invercauld Bridge, east through the woods and then south near (but not to) Gelder Shiel, briefly touch the walkers path from Muick at the saddle, then west around the hill to meet the Glas Allt. Climb (still some riding up) to Lochnagar summit then descend west to White Mounth (very exposed here), Saggart Mor and Callater. Strong riders will manage 90+% of the climb in good conditions and similarly on the descent. Plan for a challenging, 7 hour day for a group. So not a winter ride.

Consider: Invercauld- NW to Sluggain- E Strath Gairn- S Cullardoch- Invercauld.

Or, if water isn’t too high: Linn of Dee west to White bridge, N upstream on W bank of Dee, wade across where the path runs out, trail climb and then off-piste to meet the eastbound Lairig Ghru under Carn a Maim. Continue east to Derry Lodge, then go north up the east bank of the river to cross at the iron bridge; return south to Derry Lodge on W bank trail. Head for Linn of Dee, but cut over to Glen Quoich at Clash Fearnaig. Once in Glen Q, head down the glen and return to Linn of Dee.

Shorter: Braemar- Callater- Glen Cluny via the wee pass- Morrone up the double track, down the trail on the NE side. Go to the pub..

Also consider Capel Mounth circuit from Loch Muick car park. Climb over the pass to the great descent into Clova, turn R and climb to Bachnagairn, descend Coire Chash to Muick; add an out and back to Dubh Loch if there’s enough energy and daylight left.
    Enjoy.

GavinB

@highlandman – some pretty nice route ideas there. I’ll bookmark this for later and get the map out…:)

Stu_N

Yeah, wouldn’t recommend a repeat of what we did on Sat – mainly because wind was far stronger than forecast and effect on riding was much more than anticipated.

Was a fine day in Braemar and otherwise conditions were good (decent vis, dry and ground wasn’t too wet) but up above 900m it was like being in a different world. Had expected it to be blowy but it really was something else. Takes a lot to knock me over and at one point my bike was in a flat whip position and I was struggling to hold onto it.

Our plan A was the three Munros south of Lochnagar, down to Coire Cash and back over Gelder Sheil. Had loads of extra layers, were riding by 0930 and had food and lights for the return from Balmoral in case we ran out of daylight so the route would have been doable in better conditions.

Once out the trees, we realised that at best would be an out-and-back to Broad Cairn and Cairn Bannoch, then once we got the full force of the wind at about 950m, became clear that would be impossible, so we fought to the summit of t-Saigart Mor and made a dignified retreat.

With hindsight should probably have gone back the way we came as would have been more rideable but was difficult to predict what the wind would be doing, I think it was whipping round the slope we were on so was even stronger than on the tops.

Sadly no pics as I wasn’t taking gloves off for fear they would get blown away and end up in Norway.

One for a reprise next summer…

chickenman

Lochnager to where you climb up to Saigart (its pronounced Taggart, so I’ll call it that)is all ridable. the contour round Taggart is hard work as large boulders block the path. The descent is sublime though, almost all ridable though there is more trialsy traversing lower down.
    Morrone descent is a giant cheese grater; not one for XC tyres!
    I rate the loop from Callater up to Cairn of Claise; monro-baggers paths over Tolmount and Tom Buide. A very faint path is followed south via Finalty Hill to Mayer. Kilbo descent (another cracker; top very eroded but can be avoided..follow the tyre tracks!) and down to Clova. Glen Clova, Bachnagairn and onto Broad Cairn + Carn Bannoch. Taggart descent back to start point.

He used to be Druidh; Scotroutes is the post-opp ID. 😀
    Very little hike a bike in this one apart from above Bachnagairn (you’ll be too knackered to try and ride it)and the Broad Cairn summit cone. I added Carn an Tuirc and Driesh for a 8 Munro tally for the day; easy to add Taggart to make it 9. One for a dry spell of weather and perfect visibility though!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

You could do highland’s shorter ride: Braemar- Callater- Glen Cluny via the wee pass- Morrone up the double track, down the trail on the NE side first and depending on legs/weather, head up to Linn of Dee then over to Glen Quoich as suggested. This would be an all dayer for November and achieve the aim of 40 to 50k I should think.

Sanny
    Free Member

Ridden the five munros from Glen Clova a couple of years back in mid October. Started at the back of ten and got back to the cars in the dark just after seven where we finished with the Capel Mounth descent after the long fire road climb from Loch Muick. We would have been quicker had a mate not twatted his wrist early doors and also having taken the rocky north east drop off of Lochnagar as opposed to heading directly down onto Glas Alt which we eventually rode. Great ride but hard to do this time of year unless you start early in the dark and opt for a clear and low wind day.

Chickenman’s route sounds ace as I have yet to do Tom Buidhe and Tolmount as I couldn’t be arsed at the end of a seven Munro day from Glenshee.

Dreish and Mayar would make for a terrific shorter ride. Up Corrie Fee then head across the top before heading down the Kilbo Path. I did a write up for GMBC which you should find online. 😀

On reflection, perhaps the five munros in a clockwise loop from loch Muick could go this time of year if the weather is kind. You’ll be finishing with the techfest that is Glas Alt back down to the loch. I’d happily consider it but I know how quickly I can get across ground but you may well go at a different pace from me.

I contemplated a trip there at the weekend but mwis put me off. Opted for the devils staircase, ciarain path, up to loch Eilidh mor then took a cheeky stalkers path over towards ciaran bothy. Cut off too early and had a grassy but mostly rideable trackless traverse back to the blackwater dam before returning via the staircase. A great day out. Would definitely continue the path to loch ciaran next time as it was really nice. Hikey bikey in places but nothing terrible. Riding up and over the devils in the gloaming then darkness was very special indeed.

highlandman
    Free Member

http://www.cairngormmountain.org/webcams/live/ptarmigan1.jpg

Camera is at 1097m about 20 miles NW of Lochnagar. Fairly white this morning and will be a good reflection of conditions on the upper mountain. MWIS is the best weather service for the Highlands.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Lochnagar to Loch Coulter’ is closed to new replies.