Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Lightweight yet cheapish hub options?
  • Bream
    Free Member

A couple of us are looking to build wheelsets and whilst we’ve decided on rims and spokes we’re having a little more difficulty finding the right hubs.

No problem is money is no object but we’d like to keep these as cheap as possible yet light a reasonably reliable.

Target weight is ~340g for the pair, QR or if poss 15mm front option.
    Target cost is <£150 delivered (to us in Sweden).
    And able to buy this week!

So who is there?

We were thinking of A2Z but the source seems hard to talk to in Hong Kong, an ebayer seller called revelationhk, plus there is no 15mm front option.

clubber
    Free Member

A2Z for £134 here: http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/wl.aspx?3&req=0-xcfr32-0

Not sure about delivery and as you say, no 15mm option

cynic-al
    Free Member

Losing rotating weight is more important, and reliability for a hub even more so, I’d get the lightest rims/spokes/tyres you can use (gotta be stans & revs or similar) and then be sensible on hubs.

That said I got Woodman & proline road hubs SH on ebay recently, 340gm for £60 IIRC.

njee20
    Free Member

Why are you going to HK for the A2Zs? Clicky

They’re distributed by Windwave, any UK shop with an account can get them – sure some must ship abroad.

I’m really impressed with mine, the rolling resistance (or lack of it) is awesome. I’d expected bearing life to be dire, but they’ve done about 50 hours in all conditions, including some really muddy races, and they’re still perfect.

Others to check are Rotaz and Novatec, more eBay parts generally!

letmetalktomark

clubber – Member

A2Z for £134 here: http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/wl.aspx?3&req=0-xcfr32-0

Not sure about delivery and as you say, no 15mm option

Too slow 😳

Was just going to say the same. The mechanic in my LBS showed me a pair of these he had build up into Stans rims IIRC. The lightest wheels I have ever come across.

His initial impressions of the hubs was good.

Looking into some myself.

njee20
    Free Member

The reports I’ve read say bad things about the freehub durability, but I’m not sure if they’ve changed the design since. Certainly mine have been faultless thus far, but I’m not heavy. The sealing on the freehub seems fine – I had mine apart on Friday and all the grease was still in there.

They make a sensible noise too, not too loud.

Bream
    Free Member

Hadn’t found another source, but thanks to this thread and you guys I have now 😉

Just need a 15mm option now?

cynic-al
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    the rolling resistance (or lack of it) is awesome.

There speaks the racer! Reasoning goes out the window!

“Oh no my xtr hub seals are sooooo slowing me down etc” 😉

Bream
    Free Member

Hmm, seems A2Z do have a 15mm option front hub HERE, UK Bike Store are checking for me now if they have stock in the UK 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

XTR no, but spin a Hope hub and they’re shite, tonnes of drag. King’s as well – it’s the price you pay for decent sealing.

It’s a small difference, but there’s a difference, hence the proliferation of ceramic bearings in things, lower rolling resistance. Makes far more sense in hubs than a BB. Wasn’t an expected feature, just a nice side effect.

Junkyard
    Free Member

is it loud and clicky like a hope?

njee20
    Free Member

No, much quieter, not disimilar to a Shimano frankly, just ‘normal’.

cynic-al
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    XTR no, but spin a Hope hub and they’re shite, tonnes of drag. King’s as well – it’s the price you pay for decent sealing.

Is there any data on the power this consumes vs all the other factors?

Stoner
    Free Member

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=343
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=342

299g + 195g
    £97

bit over weight target, but theyre not bad hubs.
    Ive had no problems with their superleggera and superfast hub.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Lightweight yet cheapish hub options?’ is closed to new replies.