Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • lightweight, waterproff/quick drying shoes for flats
  • alpin
    Free Member

long distance ride. want flatties for the downhills. not overly worried about efficiency on the ups. if it is too steep i’ll have to push/carry and want some surefooted rubbery soled shoes; not balancing/slipping on the metal cleats.

currently have a pair of nike 6.0, skaterish shoes. the problem is they soak up water like a sponge and take ages to dry out.

anyone know of something that is primarily waterproof or at best (better?) quick drying?

thanks

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get some Five Ten impact shoes and some waterproof socks?

The Five Tens grip amazingly

aviemoron
    Free Member

Crocs 😉

epicyclo

Wear Sealskin socks and don’t worry about the shoe issue.

jam-bo

Newer five tens are a lot more water resistant than the original ones

steel4real
    Free Member

I use Nike Whistlers or 5 10’s )original and Impact II’s). They soak up water very well it’s a fact.

However, I regularly proof mine with NikWax Fabric & Leather waterproof spray. I find it works well and makes the shoes water resistant.

In the winter I tend to use different shoes with SealSkinz as once the above shoes do soak up water they take days to dry out.

grumm
    Free Member

Just got some off those 5.10 Freeriders off CRC with the 10% off thing – been out today and they are great, feels almost like being clipped in. 😉

I’ve not seen any shoes that would be good with flats that would dry out that quick. so as said just get some Sealskinz.

Jimbo
    Free Member

5.10s and Sealskinz IME don’t work, IME. Fine for the lightest of showers, but the shoes themselves hold so much water that they’re just no fun. And they take a couple of days to dry out, even with the newspaper/radiator thing. And they inevitablely stink as a result.
    The socks soon surrender too, holding water IN rather than keeping it out.

epicyclo

Jimbo – Member
    …Sealskinz IME don’t work…

They do for me. I make sure to buy the right size – if you have to stretch them they leak. I’ve used mine with sandals for walking through peatbogs without problem.

Northwind

5 10s hold water like nobody’s business, they seem like a pretty horrible recommendation for what the OP wants to me. No better, or possibly worse, for the problem he’s having.

My Vans are pretty thin, so don’t hold too much water- add a pair of sealskins (and a pair of the merino sealskins liners for winter) and they’re a pretty great combination. But, the same wouldn’t be true for all Vans, my old ones were very heavily built and could soak up buckets.

AJ
    Free Member

shimano am40’s nae bad and they come with a hard and soft sole insert option (hard be good for longer rides)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

my element townsends are pretty thin, just leather and a cotton(well fabric anyway) liner. ~Big padded tongue and heel cup though so not entirely problem solved.

For reely shitty weather, duct tape is your friend.

rich-6
    Free Member

stick some baby nappies in them, should soak it all up sharpish

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘lightweight, waterproff/quick drying shoes for flats’ is closed to new replies.